Geographical limits of C-17 flying?

Started by Nomex Maximus, August 03, 2008, 07:14:03 PM

Nomex Maximus

I am reading CAPR-60-1 and trying to understand where I can and can't fly on a C17 flight... until now I thought that I had to have Wing commander approval to fly outside of the home wing state. Is this a correct understanding? In other words, if I am flying an MIWG plane and I am an MIWG member then I cannot leave Michigan?

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Eclipse

Based on 60-1, correct, however many states have local supplements which allow flight into neighboring states without explicit permission.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I started writing a response as if the question was about an orientation flight on a C-17.....reconsidered....  ;)

caprr275

you need wing commander approval to leave Michigan Wing

Shotgun

Our squadron is located just south of the MS / TN border. If we take off from OLV on Runway 38 we will be in another wing by the time we turn crosswind.

In order to leave your wing you need Wing Commander Approval. That being said, in MS we have a supplement that allows us to fly and land in any county adjacent to our border.

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Gunner C

Quote from: Man Of Action on February 08, 2009, 03:22:24 PM
Our squadron is located just south of the MS / TN border. If we take off from OLV on Runway 38 we will be in another wing by the time we turn crosswind.

In order to leave your wing you need Wing Commander Approval. That being said, in MS we have a supplement that allows us to fly and land in any county adjacent to our border.
That's just in case the other 37 are closed.  ;D

sparks

Wing supplements to 60-1 typically delegate the "out of state" flight release decision to FRO's. The FRO delegation could have limits such as  only being good for only 50 miles beyond the state border. It all depneds on what the wing commander is comfortable doing.

SilverEagle2

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Al Sayre

insert "Policy Letter"
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Shotgun

Doh. . .  Just came back to this post and realized my mistake.

That should have been Runway 36.   ???

es_g0d

Forgive the drift-able comment, but I was reading the post with the mindset that Nomex Maximus was trying to hitch a ride on a C-17A Globemaster III.  (I figured out what he meant in short order, clearly).

There was a time, not too long ago, where such an event was not only possible but commonplace.  As we are further estranged from our parental organization (HQ USAF) this is only one of many things that has dropped by the wayside.  Such a pity.

I'm going to do my best to ensure that HQ USAF has a huge untapped resource in the CAP.  If you think about it, we do it just for a "thank you."  If I ran General Motors, and had an organization roughly 20% the size of the rest of my workforce willing to work for free, do you think I could avoid bankruptcy and get things accomplished?

Anyhow, back to your regularly scheduled program of C-17 mission symbols... good inputs, all.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net