UPDATED: CAP Flight Dress and Utility Uniform Wear Guide

Started by AlphaSigOU, July 27, 2008, 02:02:25 PM

AlphaSigOU

If you remember the older CAP Flight Dress Uniform guide I posted here a while back, here's an updated version to include the latest and greatest information.

Please remember that this is an unofficial wear guide; it's only designed to assist the CAP member to properly wear the uniform. It is not a substitute for and does not replace current official CAP regulations, policy letters and region/wing supplements.

One of these days they'll update 39-1... but I ain't holding my breath!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

PHall

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 27, 2008, 02:02:25 PM
One of these days they'll update 39-1... but I ain't holding my breath!

It only took seven years last time, so you still gotta couple of years to go. >:D

And I wouldn't even think about doing a major update on the 39-1 until they get the BDU/ABU mess sorted out.
There are several major decisions that have to be made regarding uniforms in the near future and it wouldn't make any sense to start the rewrite until the dust has settled.

BuckeyeDEJ

One thing about the guide, which I think is great -- on the leather nametag, the command badge is placed to the left of aviation badges, for some reason. (Vanguard did that to my tag.)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Can you post a scan?

I'm not sure what you're referring to as the "command badge" in regards to a leather nametag.

The only thing on a leather flight suit nametag should be a aviation badge and a specialty insignia.

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

The commander's badge -- the badge worn by active squadron and group commanders above the nametag on the blues.

In the Air Force, as I've seen, the command badge is worn to the left of any rating. That's probably why Vanguard did it on mine. Not that I care. I know they stack ground-team and aeronautical ratings, and that's fine.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

AlphaSigOU

BuckeyeDEJ is correct regarding wear of the commander's badge on the name patch It's to the wearer's right (patch left) of any other aeronautical ratings. Only active commanders can wear it on the name patch. One should wear no more than two badges on the name patch - any more and it looks too cluttered.

Technically, the CAP command badge isn't authorized for wear on the leather name patch; unless the PTB at NHQ publish another - egads! - ICL to CAPM 39-1. (Had enough with the abbreviations?  >:D ;D)

My guide currently shows it as a 'prohibited' item until such time they do issue one. I have it worded as such so that it's easy to edit out the 'thou shalt nots' out of that paragraph once the ICL is issued.

AFAIK - and someone correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not sure Vanguard can do a larger-size leather name patch to accomodate stacked aeronautical ratings and specialty insignia. That's why they're doing it side-by-side. There's a third-party name patch manufacturer or two that does stacked badges, but OPSEC precludes me from mentoning it openly.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BuckeyeDEJ

I believe the size of the leather nametag is set in stone.

I haven't seen any ICL, supplement, or anything regarding what badges are OK, but my understanding was that some nonaeronautical ratings were allowed (hence my badge).

ANY of the shield-shaped badges should be verboten, since they have no bearing on ops qualifications.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 27, 2008, 08:29:25 PM
I believe the size of the leather nametag is set in stone.

I haven't seen any ICL, supplement, or anything regarding what badges are OK, but my understanding was that some nonaeronautical ratings were allowed (hence my badge).

ANY of the shield-shaped badges should be verboten, since they have no bearing on ops qualifications.

Command badge is considered a 'specialty insignia', where the specialty track badges are not and should not be on the name patch. (One third-party vendor does offer a 'Safety Officer' badge addition to their two-badge name patch. I don't know what it looks like, though.)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Mustang

Hey Chuck, you might consider an addition to your flight suit guide on velcro standards.  Current USAF is shape-conformal for the command patch, with the patch worn centered within the breast area, top aligned with the top of the nametag on the opposite side. For sleeve insignia, a 3.5" square on each sleeve, a half-inch down from the seam. 
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Mustang on May 30, 2009, 11:49:30 PM
Hey Chuck, you might consider an addition to your flight suit guide on velcro standards.  Current USAF is shape-conformal for the command patch, with the patch worn centered within the breast area, top aligned with the top of the nametag on the opposite side. For sleeve insignia, a 3.5" square on each sleeve, a half-inch down from the seam.

Will make the change... thanks!
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040