No beards for cadets

Started by RiverAux, July 17, 2008, 03:27:33 AM

arajca

A religious exception is an exception to the rule. The rule should be no beards for cadets. As has been stated many times on CAPTalk, rules and policies are not made for the exception, they are made for the vast majority.

So, if a cadet's religion requires them to wear a beard, a waiver can be applied for. The application will describe the reason for the waiver, including references.

flyguy06

SM-MADDOG

Ok I have a question. I've been researching into the regulations and other items to figure out the requirements for Cadets to Wear what CAP calls AF style uniforms. The woodland camo as I understand is AF Style. My question is if a cadet does not meet the weight/height chart he/she is not allowed to wear the woodland camo? For Seniors Im told we cant wear the woodland camo if we dont meet the weight chart. I take issue with this. Why should We not be allowed to wear a woodland camo BDU, yet you can wear the same BDU only its Blue instead of woodland camo color. Im looking to challenge CAP on this policy anyway I can. It makes no sense to Me what so ever. They say its a AF style, ok, its also army style, its also a law enforcement style, milita unit style. And as we know the Milita is Private Citizens Defense that is allowed by the Federal and many state laws and even constituions. I have discussed this with other people who are in and not in cap, they all say its wrong, the ones not in CAP say they wouldnt join because of that, they said why pay membership dues to have them tell you that pretty much oh, you dont meet out chart so you cant wear that woodland camo, but heres the same BDU its just blue.

I love CAP and loving serving my country anyway I can, so please dont take the above comments as saying CAP is bad or anything is bad, its not, but I think of course we have issues at times and some things need to be changed (revised) etc. I have been serving in some way since I was 16 when i became a police explorer and im a private officer now.

Stay Safe Everyone :) 

Public Affairs Officer
Emergency Services
Cadet Program Officer   

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 18, 2008, 03:17:14 AM
^ All my time in the Army, the standing orders were shave, unless you have a medical condition that would be made worse by shaving.  That was done so that NBC equipment (gas masks) can have a clean seal and would work properly should the need arise.  I never had nor have I served with anyone that tried to cite religious reasons for not shaving their beard areas.  I did have one soldier who could not shave for two weeks until the herpes cleared up, did not want to spread it around.

As far as this goes, it is silly to tell a cadet to shave.  Hypothetically, you can have an 20 year old cadet with a beard who is ordered to shave it off, and then have an 18 year old Flight Officer keep his beard, but wear distinctive uniforms. 

BUT CAP is A-OK with not promoting a healthy body weight.  "OK Cadet you are 350 pounds, here is your special ordered XXXXLARGE BDU uniform". 

Lets get priorities straight here.  This is silliness.   
2nd Lt, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SM-MADDOG on August 08, 2008, 11:21:18 AM
Ok I have a question. I've been researching into the regulations and other items to figure out the requirements for Cadets to Wear what CAP calls AF style uniforms. The woodland camo as I understand is AF Style. My question is if a cadet does not meet the weight/height chart he/she is not allowed to wear the woodland camo?

Cadets under the age of 18 do not have to meet the weight requirement and can wear the AF style uniforms regardless.  They do need to adhere to the grooming standards.

Cadets over 18 that do not meet the weight requirement must wear the corporate style uniforms.

QuoteFor Seniors Im told we cant wear the woodland camo if we dont meet the weight chart. I take issue with this. Why should We not be allowed to wear a woodland camo BDU, yet you can wear the same BDU only its Blue instead of woodland camo color.

Because it isn't the same uniform.  The AF style uniforms are "controlled" by the AF.  They even gave us some slack and increased the allowable weight for them already. 

QuoteIm looking to challenge CAP on this policy anyway I can.

Good Luck.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SM-MADDOG

Thank you for the reply, I did remember reading that somewhere that a cadet age 18 or over had to meet the weight requirement. So a cadet under 18 can wear any AF uniform if they dont meet the requirement but a Senior Member (Officer) cant wear an AF type uniform if they dont meet the weight/height chart.

So as being AF controlled why are the woodland camo BDU AF Controlled? 

Stay Safe :)   
2nd Lt, CAP

TankerT

Quote from: arajca on July 21, 2008, 12:15:42 AM
A religious exception is an exception to the rule. The rule should be no beards for cadets. As has been stated many times on CAPTalk, rules and policies are not made for the exception, they are made for the vast majority.

So, if a cadet's religion requires them to wear a beard, a waiver can be applied for. The application will describe the reason for the waiver, including references.

I don't think there is a policy that allows for waivers in the regulations.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

DC

Quote from: SM-MADDOG on August 08, 2008, 12:56:23 PM
Thank you for the reply, I did remember reading that somewhere that a cadet age 18 or over had to meet the weight requirement. So a cadet under 18 can wear any AF uniform if they dont meet the requirement but a Senior Member (Officer) cant wear an AF type uniform if they dont meet the weight/height chart.

The Air Force has control over how CAP wears uniforms that the Air Force wears. BDUs are still an authorized uniform in the Air Force, so they have control over how CAP wears it. I'm sure it is a little more complicated than that, but that is the basic relationship there.

SM-MADDOG

Yes it makes more sense now why CAP dont allow it because its "AF Controlled". And your are right it probably is a little more complicated than that lol. 

Quote from: DC on August 08, 2008, 03:47:27 PM
Quote from: SM-MADDOG on August 08, 2008, 12:56:23 PM

The Air Force has control over how CAP wears uniforms that the Air Force wears. BDUs are still an authorized uniform in the Air Force, so they have control over how CAP wears it. I'm sure it is a little more complicated than that, but that is the basic relationship there.
2nd Lt, CAP