Shiny boots versus suede with stains

Started by Eclipse, July 13, 2008, 12:47:08 AM

Eclipse

Not that it will be an issue for CAP in this decade, but how do the suede boots stand up to blood, oil, and other hard to clean stains?

I don't enjoy shining boots, but I enjoy buying them less, and there's very little that can get on a standard black boot that you can't polish out or hide, whereas to my mind, a sneeze on a suede boot could ruin then.

How are they standing up to this kind of stuff?

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

I haven't gotten hdyrolic fluid or chemicals on my boots, but so far there hasn't been anything that I haven't been able to clean off of my boots. 

For the past 2 months I've been at an AF school where I've been on the range getting dirty, in an armory cleaning weapons and about 75% of the time in a classroom.  I have had to clean my boots once.
Serving since 1987.

IceNine

Go ahead and pour some oils and such on there for us UK. 

We will expect a full report in a few days
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Stonewall

No thanks.  That's why the AF is considering or has already allowed the grease monkeys in the AF to wear black leather boots again.
Serving since 1987.

afgeo4

I don't know about the sage green AF boots, but my Army friends can't keep their sand boots clean for over a week, but that's the Army. Dirty boots are a sign of good work ethic.
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

Quote from: afgeo4 on July 13, 2008, 01:20:03 AM
I don't know about the sage green AF boots, but my Army friends can't keep their sand boots clean for over a week, but that's the Army. Dirty boots are a sign of good work ethic.

I don't own the sage green AF boots, I've been wearing desert tan boots and will until 2011.

As for dirty boots being a sign of good work ethic, I'd say it can easily be a sign of laziness as some office pogue steps in some mud and fails to take action.  Goes both ways.  Most good grunt troops realize the importance of having a set of garrison BDU/ABU/ACUs to wear to include boots so they don't have to spend countless hours trying to get their field uniform/boots cleaned up.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

I think it all boils down to whether or not we want workers to look pretty or doing actual work.

If a person has tans, and scrubs them off once or twice a week, there's no real issue. If they haven't done it in a month, then they're not taking care of their gear, and you can tell.

It's either that, or jump through hoops to keep the uniform looking pretty.

Problem is that the command chain doesn't seem to understand the concept of "Can't have your cake and eat it too."

Not a real issue for CAP. If you can't clean up your boots between meetings, then you have some time management problems.

mikeylikey

^Duty day for me is over at 1630 (430PM). I take one half (1/2) hour and line up my gear for the next day at that time, and finish some other minor housekeeping issues.  So in that one half hour, I iron my ACUs (I know I don't have to, but been ironing for over 12 years, hard habit to break) and work out any dirt off my boots.  On top of that, the Army mandates PT before the duty day begins (unlike the AF, who schedules PT in place of regular daily duties, which I don't agree with at all).  So I am up at 5AM everyday, and done with everything usually by 5PM.  That is 12 hours of work.  I do get one hour for lunch, which I usually take while working on something. 

Time management in the military is critical.  If these folks can't take 30 minutes and scrub off the grime and mud from their boots each day, but let weeks go by and then are biatchy that there boots are dirty, they need a different job.   
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 13, 2008, 07:36:58 PMOn top of that, the Army mandates PT before the duty day begins (unlike the AF, who schedules PT in place of regular daily duties, which I don't agree with at all). 

And in the AF, it's only 3 days a week.  Here's my day at an AF AETC School.

Monday:
0700 PT (pathetically unorganized)
0740 Off to eat breakfast, take a shower, chill
0900 Class
1100 Lunch
1230 Class
1530 Off

Tuesday:
0800 Class
1100 Lunch
1230 Class
1530 Off

Wednesday:
See Monday

Thursday:
See Tuesday

Friday:
0700 PT "ultimate football"
0800 Off to eat breakfast, take a shower, chill
0900 Class
1100 Lunch
1230 Class
1400 - 1430 Off (early Fridays, you know)

Most pathetic part is that airmen cry, b*tch, complain and whine about PT and getting off after 1530.

I've gained about 5 lbs since being at this school.  I am more active at home and eat a heckuva lot better.  I'd clean my boots if necessary, but unlike Mikey, I don't iron my ABUs, even though I did so for many years while wearing BDUs.  It's a habit requirement I can break.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Kirt....sounds like a vacation! 

With AF folks working at many Army posts, I routinely see them out and about.  I see them getting to work at 830, taking an hour lunch at either the DIFAC or AAFES "food court", and leaving work at 3PM to do an hour of PT until 4PM, then a half hour to shower and change into civvies by retreat. 

Compared to every unit I have been in, that is an awesome way to work.  I wouldn't mind getting an hour off from the regular duty day to play organized sports or run.  Unfortunately, I joined the wrong service and spend at least 1 to 1.5 hours at PT EVERY morning.  Then if I have PT failures, I am right along side of them at "hard-charger" PT on SAT and SUNDAY mornings.

I will say though, I have never ever been in the physical shape I am right now.  Doing this for 10 years, I don't know what I will do when I get out of the service, but I do know I will never let myself become the fat kid again. 

SO Mike doesn't lock this.......

Ya, my tan boots are an easy upkeep.  I purchase the Kiwi "Tan Boot" care kit sold at the Exchange about every two months.  It is much cheaper than purchasing new boots every 6 months due to them being dirty beyond repair!

PLUS.....the Army will begin issuing more and more alternate boots to Soldiers going to places like Afghanistan.  They are brown (think world war 2 style) and have a great sole and will stand up to the wear and tear of the jungle desert.     

I will commend the AF though, before now, it seemed like Physical Fitness was a secondary concern.

What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 13, 2008, 08:17:31 PMI purchase the Kiwi "Tan Boot" care kit sold at the Exchange about every two months.  It is much cheaper than purchasing new boots every 6 months due to them being dirty beyond repair!

Yep, being a new wearer of the suede boots, I had to buy one of the Kiwi "Tan Boot" care kits when I got to Lackland, especially after a day of riding the ATVs at my unit where I got them quite dirty.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

^ It is a good product.  I highly recommend it to everyone wearing tans. 
What's up monkeys?