Unit Uniform Supplements

Started by stratoflyer, July 07, 2008, 07:26:29 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: IceNine on July 08, 2008, 05:17:31 PM
If from day one of joining cadets and SM's are told this is how we do things they will never challenge it.

However, if you switch units, go outside of your unit etc then they become issues

Something else to put on a t-shirt.  If our commanders were more inclined to

read the regs
stick to the book
adjust with humility when someone finds something they got wrong

This would be a much quieter board.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

IIRC the language changed somewhat from the 1997 CAPM 39-1.  

IMO there is too much "optional" crap for members to pick and choose to wear or not wear... or commanders to require citing uniformity i.e. "required optional" wing SSI, or unit patches to t-shirt colors.

But also, requiring that someone not wear something optional... starting with the base uniform is IMO, not totally unreasonable for units.  I'd rather you not wear all kinds of crap on your service uniform or BDU/Field Uniform for both utility, uniformity and cost, but I'm not anal about t-shirt color unless you are wearing the wrong shade of brown... Pet peeve.

Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

Quote from: MIKE on July 08, 2008, 06:19:43 PM
but I'm not anal about t-shirt color unless you are wearing the wrong shade of brown... Pet peeve.

That purplish brown some members pick up......looks bad.  AAFES and Walmart sell the correct color brown shirts in packs of 3 for around $6.00-$9.00  Not a bad investment!! 

I don't agree with CAP activity Commanders saying "Only brown shirts will be worn", when 39-1 leaves it up to the individual member to choose.  CAP is not an AD organization, costs should be as minimal as possible.  I had a huge "conversation" with an overzealous Encampment Commander a year ago, when he decided he would make his own uniform decisions that he was not permitted to by 39-1. 

Sometimes, common sense is misplaced by those promoted to leadership positions.  Cost and safety must always be at the forefront of any uniform reg or supplement.  Maybe I am over thinking the situation, but when the cost of Encampment reaches $175.00, and the cadet has to purchase brown shirts and black boot socks that tacks on another 20-30 BUCKS when the said cadet already has socks and T-shirts, just in another color that is prescribed by 39-1. 

For example........I have 45 BDU Covers sitting in my unit.  However, when a Cadet or Officer joins they must buy a Orange Ball Cap at 10 bucks, a wing patch for 7 PLUS all the other junk that is not written as optional in 39-1.  So right off the bat a new member in my PAWG unit can save 17 dollars if they were not made (MADE) to buy useless uniform items. 
What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

Well then let's start right there.

First off......39-1 says you cannot require cadets to wear any uniform execpt the basic issue stuff unless it is provided free of charge.

So 99.999999 of all CAP NCSAs/Encampments are not in compliance with the regulation to begin with.

Second.....I too think that activity directors should not be going too far out of their way in forcing cadets to comply with arbatrary unformity deals.  But I have no problem with unit commanders, group commanders and wing commanders to establish policies and standards under their jurisdiction.

So patrol caps vs ball caps.....wing patches all on vs all off or member option......brown t-shirts, black t-shirts, unit t-shirts are all good and very much within the preview of the unit commanders.

Same thing with cadet officers and the service CAP.....I can certainly see a unit commander mandating all officers or no officers wearing them.
Provided that they are supplied to the cadets if the required.

Yes...CAP can be an expensive endevor.....but that is the breaks......so long as the cadets and their families know what they are getting into before they pay their dues.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP