Minimum basic uniform

Started by Eclipse, July 05, 2008, 05:24:37 PM

Eclipse

An interesting piece of text from CAPM 39-1.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Page 8
1-5. Uniform Combinations. Various combinations of CAP uniforms are authorized in order to allow for various climatic conditions, availability of uniforms, etc., but no member is obligated to equip himself/herself with all or even a major part of the combinations described in this publication. Members will equip themselves with the basic uniform. The minimum basic uniforms for male and female cadets and senior members, which will satisfy most occasions, are listed below. Members may obtain and wear the additional uniform items authorized in this publication on an optional basis. Uniform clothing may be altered to improve fit. However, alterations must not change the intended appearance of garment as designed. It is the member's personal responsibility to equip himself/herself with a proper uniform.

Commanders may assist if they have the capability, through use of unit funds and/or donations or by acquiring surplus uniforms. Cadets are required to have the minimum basic uniform. A commander may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary or if the uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet. The omission of a specific item or appearance standard does not automatically permit its wear.

a. Minimum Basic Service Uniform. Male: Short-sleeve, light blue shirt; dark blue trousers; blue belt/silver buckle, blue flight cap; black shoes, and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem. Female: Short-sleeve light blue blouse; Dark blue skirt or slacks; flight cap; neutral nylon hose; black shoes; black handbag. Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem.

b. CAP Distinctive Basic Uniform (senior members only). Male: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt; gray trousers; black belt; black shoes and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve. Female: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt; gray slacks or skirt; plain black shoes. Insignia: CAP nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve.

What this says to me is that despite assumptions to the contrary, members are required to have the "minimum basic uniform", and that "MBU" is not the golf shirt, but is, in fact, either the short sleeve USAF-style service dress, or short sleeve CAP-distinctive "whites".

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Oy gevalt, here we go.

I have always maintained that the minimum basic service uniform could be used for most normal applications.  It's a shortsleeve shirt, trousers and flight cap; not altogether that different from what EMTs and Law enforcement wear.  That being said, note the reg says...

Quotecombinations of CAP uniforms are authorized in order to allow for various climatic conditions, availability of uniforms, etc.

...thus, flight suits, BDUs other uniforms are necessary.

There was a time when BDUs were much more easy to get that they are now (and that they will be later) than service dress.

I have spoken with former cadets, one at Sherrill Park in Corpus Christi, Texas who saw our cadets at a ceremony there.  This former cadet was part of the USN colorguard from NS Ingleside.  He informed me that in his old unit all they had was BDUs and that they never wore nor got service dress uniforms.

Also, I once went in minimum service dress to conduct CAP business at a local FBO (back in 1999-2000).  The fellows working there said they had never seen a "full dress" CAP uniform and thought that CAP only wore "dirty old flight suits," ugly coveralls (smurf suits) and wrinkled poloshirts. 

It was at that time that I realized we needed to look better.  Take those stories as you will.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Yep, that is the reg, but I wouldn't bet that a majority of CAP senior members have it.

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 05, 2008, 05:41:15 PM
Oy gevalt, here we go.

Heh, maybe.

This isn't an assertion over what it should be, just a statement of what is indicated in a manual to which compliance is mandatory.

I've been in CAP 9 years and am considered a uniform nazi expert by many, and have never noted that verbiage before.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2008, 05:56:43 PM
Oy gevalt, here we go.

Heh, maybe.

This isn't an assertion over what it should be, just a statement of what is indicated in a manual to which compliance is mandatory.

I've been in CAP 9 years and am considered a uniform nazi expert by many, and have never noted that verbiage before.

Probably because you never looked, because that's been in the 39-1 from before I joined as a cadet.
And I joined in Dec 1969.

And which uniform do cadets receive in the Free Uniform Program?

Makes you think just a bit, doesn't it?

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2008, 05:56:43 PM
Oy gevalt, here we go.

Heh, maybe.

Oh, don't misunderstand...it is not you that I aim that at...but rather all those that will misunderstand what you are trying to say.  I've been in CAP 10 years and I noticed it right away.  Yet, the regs have never stood in the way of people who want to "take it the wrong way."

I could imagine that the new version of this will allow for alternative uniforms that equate to USAF style minimum basic service.

Now, let me tell you what I tell new avitors joining our Composite Squadron...(hang on, here comes the flames)

I suggest that, if thier main suit in CAP is flying, that they first getthe CAP polo shirt and gray pants (yup, me MAJOR CARRALES, recommends the GOLF SHIRT.  Yes, even though I don't like it).  I then tell them to, in time, invest in the CAP Aviator shirt for wear with the gray pants (the white/grays to be used for more formal occasions like dinners, PAO work, classes liek SLS/CLC et al) 

As they continue in CAP, I ask that they get the blue trousers for more formal activities that might require the CAP CORP uniform (Wing Conferences et al).

In reality, they (flyers) normally get the polo shirt and a flight suit and the rest later.  It all rest with the individual.

GT members I recommend getting a set of BDUs (or BBDUs),  the minimum basic service dress.

CP people I recommend Minimum Basic Service Dress then BDUs...or the necessary alternatives.

Ideally (and what I did) was get a set of BDUs, then minimumbasic service dress, then long sleeve service dress, then service coat (my late uncle had given me two service  caps before he died).  My next uniform purchase will be either a set of BDUs (new) or BBDUs.  I'm leaning towards the latter since my fellow CAP officers in Brownsville tend to wear BBDUs.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JoeTomasone

So few CAP members are even casually acquainted with CAPM 39-1 that it's truly sad.    The usual excuse I get: "It's too big!" - So, read the sections that apply to the uniforms you own - what's so hard about that?

You can't expect to comply with a regulation that you haven't bothered to read.   I could understand when you had to buy them and put them in that godawful blue binder, but they are free downloads now.. 

RiverAux

QuoteI suggest that, if thier main suit in CAP is flying, that they first getthe CAP polo shirt and gray pants (yup, me MAJOR CARRALES, recommends the GOLF SHIRT.  Yes, even though I don't like it).  I then tell them to, in time, invest in the CAP Aviator shirt for wear with the gray pants (the white/grays to be used for more formal occasions like dinners, PAO work, classes liek SLS/CLC et al) 

As they continue in CAP, I ask that they get the blue trousers for more formal activities that might require the CAP CORP uniform (Wing Conferences et al).
So, at no time do you recommend that new people consider purchasing the AF-style uniforms? 

Personally, I have also recommended that new pilot/aircrew types get the golf shirt uniform, if only because it is the easiest and fastest for them to get so as to get them in the air ASAP.  I don't recommend that they get the flightsuit until after they become a 2nd Lt, but I always suggest that they go that way soon.  Why?  Because by the time they get all the necessary items for the AF-style uniforms, it will likely be time for them to promote to 2LT anyway, so why bother taking off and sewing on new rank insignia and name badges again so soon? 

Except for the seniors who work with cadets, our squadron's seniors never wear blues except at Wing conference or possibly a special occassion of some kind.  So, I don't even bother suggesting it.

Maybe back in the good old days, the minimum service dress was the standard uniform for CAP meetings, but thats not what I see today.  Maybe its different someplace else.  Oddly enough over in CG Aux their equivalent is the standard meeting uniform for the most part and while probably 40% of senior CAP members have that uniform, probably 95% of CG Aux members have it and wear it.  Why the difference?  No weight and grooming standards and only a few types of uniform to choose from in the first place -- result -- most people are wearing the same uniform at the same time. 

RickFranz

I try to get all new members in the Wing to come to Wing Supply and get AF pants, shirt, bdu's a flight suit, boots and shoes if we have their size great.  If not then they can spend their money for whatever...
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JoeTomasone on July 05, 2008, 09:48:16 PM

So few CAP members are even casually acquainted with CAPM 39-1 that it's truly sad.    The usual excuse I get: "It's too big!" - So, read the sections that apply to the uniforms you own - what's so hard about that?

You can't expect to comply with a regulation that you haven't bothered to read.   I could understand when you had to buy them and put them in that godawful blue binder, but they are free downloads now.. 

Exactly. The old and time-honored Latin phrase Ignorantia juris ineminem excusat (Ignorance of the law (in this case regulations) is no excuse) is seldom enforced in CAP. And they ask us - those who follow the uniform regs - why we drink?  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

capchiro

While I fully support the reg's, I find that older members with the pear shapes have a hard time finding white aviator shirts that truly fit them and look anywhere near decent.  The polo shirt does look better on them.  I haven't found a place to get aviator shirts that will fit and look good on a large waist size and a small neck size.  Does anyone know where such beast can be found?  Several older members would like to know.  Wearing an aviator shirt with a tie and having the neck size 3 sizes too large is not attractive.  And this doesn't call for the standard, lose weight, etc.  I am talking about distinguished contributing members with years of volunteer service under their belts that would like to look proper in the aviator style uniform.  Thanks in advance.   
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on July 05, 2008, 09:57:30 PM
So, at no time do you recommend that new people consider purchasing the AF-style uniforms? 

You should know better than to ask that of me.

Of course I suggest the USAF Style to them.  It is what I wear. However, as you can see here at CAP TALK, many Seniors that are not in direct contact with cadets favor the polo.

Until the regulations require the wear of only one set I can't be dictating to them what to do with personal funds...I can only recommend and suggest. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

CadetProgramGuy

I have long asserted that the Golf Shirt Combo, shouldn't really be a uniform of CAP. 

Maybe ok for glider flight though.......