Dual Emblem Name Tag for Flight suit?

Started by KyCAP, July 02, 2008, 03:20:15 AM

RiverAux

Gee, the predominant theme in most uniform-related discussions here is that our uniforms are too cluttered.  This situation is a prime example of un-necessary clutter.

Working uniforms should have a minimal number of badges and other items on them and I think it is reasonable for there to be some relationship between badge wear and the uniform on which it is being worn. 

And if the AF does it that way, that just means they're wrong too (IMHO).

Incidentally, I do put my money were my mouth is and don't wear my Observer Wings on my BDU or have my GT badge on my flight suit name tag. 

Al Sayre

Aww c'mon  I earned 'em I should be able to wear 'em...

How about a big honking leather patch with my Commanders badge, IC Badge, Wings, GBD badge, and a painted representation of my ribbon rack  >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

jb512

Quote from: RiverAux on July 02, 2008, 10:23:37 PM
Gee, the predominant theme in most uniform-related discussions here is that our uniforms are too cluttered.  This situation is a prime example of un-necessary clutter.

There's a difference between wearing two professional looking qualification badges and wearing 5 cartoon colored patches in every corner of your uniform.

Working uniforms should have a minimal number of badges and other items on them and I think it is reasonable for there to be some relationship between badge wear and the uniform on which it is being worn. 

Incidentally, I do put my money were my mouth is and don't wear my Observer Wings on my BDU or have my GT badge on my flight suit name tag. 

And I operate under the idea that the military uses where they wear their qualification badges on all uniforms all the time, but I do not wear the boy scout looking patches on my BDUs.

I am an observer and a ground team member regardless of the uniform that I'm wearing.  I also starch my BDUs, block my BDU hat, and while I don't iron my flight suit, I don't leave it wadded up in the floorboard of my truck to pull out when I go flying.

Hawk200

That's your option. But as long as it's within regulation or equivalent, then it's acceptable for others to do as they wish. Personal opinon is fine, just don't make the mistake of telling others that they can't. Regulations are published at a much higher level than just indviduals.

Just out of curiousity, do you wear those same badges on blues (or corporate equivalent) ?

RiverAux

QuotePersonal opinon is fine, just don't make the mistake of telling others that they can't.
Where did I say that someone couldn't do it? 

QuoteJust out of curiousity, do you wear those same badges on blues (or corporate equivalent) ?
I sometimes wear the Observer Wings, but I'm not terribly consistent about it.  Don't even have the actual GT badge or any other of the badges that I've earned (I think I'm eligible for at least 2 others, but haven't checked).   

CadetProgramGuy

Don't like the cluttered look. 

Here's my stance.  Wherever you choose to wear the leather tag, choose only one emblem.

I.E. Flight Suit - Wings
Jackets - what ever you choose....

isuhawkeye

Next time you are over Ill show you the name tag for my zoom bag.  I bet you'll change your mind

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on July 03, 2008, 03:17:54 AM
QuotePersonal opinon is fine, just don't make the mistake of telling others that they can't.
Where did I say that someone couldn't do it? 

OK, I'll bite. Where did you say you couldn't do it? (Since my sarcasm seems to be a little subtle, I'll point out that is sarcasm.)

The problem with being vocal about some things is that some people believe you're telling them they shouldn't or can't. I had a commander that disliked jungle fatigues (back when they were authorized), and would give me all kinds of grief when I wore them. After a while, I quit wearing them because being harassed about them annoyed me. I wasn't in any formations so "uniformity" wasn't really an issue. That was back in the mid '90's. There's less "uniformity" nowadays.

If people want to something that's allowed, let them and don't give them grief about it. It's wrong to do so. If CAP allows a uniform, a combination, or insignia; let people wear it. It's not hurting you or anyone else if it's worn properly.

RiverAux

I was critisizing the regulation that allowed it,  not the people who wear multiple badges in accordance with that regulation.  If they want to do it, and its allowed, thats fine by me.

Major Carrales

Wings on BDUs make a bit more sense since one is more likely to fly in a set of BDUs than go on a Ground Team mission in a Flight suit.  Thus, a set of BDUs with Wings is not all that far fetched.

As for GT badges on Flight Suits...that is a matter of personal preference.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Short Field

LOL - what is that old saying about opinions??
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

If you don't want to hear other people's opinions, I suggest that an online discussion board isn't where you should spend your time.

jb512

Quote from: RiverAux on July 03, 2008, 04:23:37 PM
If you don't want to hear other people's opinions, I suggest that an online discussion board isn't where you should spend your time.

We're not knocking you for having an opinion; you're free to do so.  It just doesn't make sense to those of us who have been around the military for any length of time.  No one wears different badges on different uniforms, they wear all of their badges on all of them because that's what they've earned, and those are the jobs that they do.

Now I know that we're limited to two, for the most part, so wings and a badge of choice makes sense to most of us on every uniform that we would wear, especially in an Air Force uniform.

lordmonar

It is intresting that someone who touts how much he hates CAP's corporate mentality....can just then just display his own version of it.

Look.....it is simple.....its optional....if you don't want to wear two badges on your flight suit...don't.  Words like "silly" and "there wrong too" don't help your argument.

We spend a lot of time in uniform threads saying that we have to get USAF's approval for everthing and how much it would be great to do everthing just like the USAF....but then you spring this little gem.  ???

Okay.....just do what you want.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

I don't really know where you got that I hate CAP's corporate mentality.  Never said that to my recollection.  On that whole corporate-military thing, I'm sort of a moderate.  I'm also not one of those who believe that its critical that all our regulations mirror exactly how the AF does things.  But, does the fact that a CAP regulation mirrors and AF regulation mean that CAP people can't critisize it?  You know, the AF can make bad decisions as well.

I find it highly amusing that the thought that something looks silly is not an argument for why it shouldn't be on our uniform.  But, you'll also note that I said that extra badges are unnecessary as well. 

QuoteOkay.....just do what you want.
Already said what I'd like, you're welcome to read it again.

KyCAP

OK - I started it..

Mod - Lock it please - beaten this horse to death.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on July 03, 2008, 02:22:26 PM
I was critisizing the regulation that allowed it,  not the people who wear multiple badges in accordance with that regulation.  If they want to do it, and its allowed, thats fine by me.

Apparently, you don't think it's "fine by you". If you feel the pub is wrong, then you would also have to consider the people that follow it wrong. Not doing so is a serious incongruity.

What I am curious about is why you consider it wrong. It brings no harm to anyone, and it doesn't discredit CAP or the Air Force (especially considering it mirrors them). Why do you consider it an issue?

A great many people would consider it envy, especially since you choose not to wear the other badges. They would think you envy their additional badges and only have one of your own. You have an easy option to prove them wrong. It may be a completely inaccurate assessment of you, but it will probably happen.

When it comes to having a GT badge and an observer wing, you have a person that has performed in both arenas. They have experience that bridges the gap. With both badges on a single tag, it's known that they have done so.

Multiple badges tell the story of what a person is useful for. Two badges tell more than one.

RiverAux

QuoteApparently, you don't think it's "fine by you". If you feel the pub is wrong, then you would also have to consider the people that follow it wrong. Not doing so is a serious incongruity.
Seems pretty consistent to me -- I'm not going to criticize someone else for following the regulations and wearing items that are properly authorized.  However, just because I support the regulations doesn't mean that I have to agree that they are the right regulations in the first place. 

QuoteWhat I am curious about is why you consider it wrong. It brings no harm to anyone, and it doesn't discredit CAP or the Air Force (especially considering it mirrors them). Why do you consider it an issue?
Another person who didn't read what I wrote previously--getting frustrating....  So, I'll quote myself:
QuoteWorking uniforms should have a minimal number of badges and other items on them and I think it is reasonable for there to be some relationship between badge wear and the uniform on which it is being worn.

QuoteA great many people would consider it envy, especially since you choose not to wear the other badges. They would think you envy their additional badges and only have one of your own.
Huh?  I don't recall ever mentioning this particular position to anyone in my unit, so I'm not too worried about it.  They already know everything I'm qualified in, so I don't think they're going to think I envy them their badges when they know that I I am qualified for more badges than I wear.

Anyway, I'm pretty tired of defending myself over something so trivial, so I'm out. 

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on July 04, 2008, 04:39:02 AM
QuoteApparently, you don't think it's "fine by you". If you feel the pub is wrong, then you would also have to consider the people that follow it wrong. Not doing so is a serious incongruity.
Seems pretty consistent to me -- I'm not going to criticize someone else for following the regulations and wearing items that are properly authorized.  However, just because I support the regulations doesn't mean that I have to agree that they are the right regulations in the first place. 

Hmm...The reg is wrong, but it's OK for people to comply with a regulation? I don't see any consistancy here at all. Somehow, I think that there are others here that don't see it either.

QuoteWhat I am curious about is why you consider it wrong. It brings no harm to anyone, and it doesn't discredit CAP or the Air Force (especially considering it mirrors them). Why do you consider it an issue?
Another person who didn't read what I wrote previously--getting frustrating....  So, I'll quote myself:
QuoteWorking uniforms should have a minimal number of badges and other items on them and I think it is reasonable for there to be some relationship between badge wear and the uniform on which it is being worn.

Here you're inconsistant as well. First you mention working uniforms, but then reference all of them. If you had any consistancy here, by your own logic, you have no justification to wear wings on a dress type uniform.

Something you haven't considered is that the Air Force requires aeronautical ratings on all common uniforms, regardless of type. Whether it be blues, BDU's, or a flightsuit, they're required if you have been awarded them. It's been a requirement for a long period of time.

And I read what you wrote. You still haven't explained why you feel that way. If you have an actual reason that makes sense, I can respect that. But the simple "Working uniforms should have a minimal number of badges and other items on them and I think it is reasonable for there to be some relationship between badge wear and the uniform on which it is being worn." doesn't explain anything.

If you have a legitimate reason for it, say so. It will gain a great deal more respect than taking a martyr "no one tries to understand me" stance, or else attempt condecension when your viewpoint doesn't seem to make sense.

So...what's the reason? Does more than one badge confuse you? Does it present some form of difficulty to you when someone wears them that way? Does it offend some type of value that you learned while growing up? Do you feel that these members should spend their money on something else?

QuoteA great many people would consider it envy, especially since you choose not to wear the other badges. They would think you envy their additional badges and only have one of your own.
Huh?  I don't recall ever mentioning this particular position to anyone in my unit, so I'm not too worried about it.  They already know everything I'm qualified in, so I don't think they're going to think I envy them their badges when they know that I I am qualified for more badges than I wear.

Anyway, I'm pretty tired of defending myself over something so trivial, so I'm out. 

It's not trivial, it's a major item when dealing with uniforms for CAP and the Air Force. You express judgement by saying that the Air Force is wrong in the manner that they do things. And yes, it is judgement when you state that something is "wrong", rather than you "think something is wrong". Following it up with "in my opinion" doesn't change that. Maybe you're not aware, but many will consider it arrogance.

I will state also that I'm not looking for a fight here, but an understanding. If you have no legimate reason for why you believe something, then you have no conviction about it. In which case, your statements are intended as a way of stirring up discontent. I would like to understand, but you must communicate for me to do so.

jb512

Quote from: KyCAP on July 03, 2008, 11:21:41 PM
OK - I started it..

Mod - Lock it please - beaten this horse to death.

So quick to lock, once again...  We are having an adult, respectful conversation and as long as we stay within the code of conduct there's no reason to throw out a lock just because people are disagreeing.

To get back to Hawk and River, we have corporate uniforms that the AF has stayed out of and I think that if you want to wear whatever you want within CAP regs, then that's just fine (although I still don't understand not wearing wings and a badge on all uniforms).

As far as AF uniforms, I think that we should do exactly what the AF does, within our regs, as is required.  As it was pointed out, we don't want to look gaudy and silly but there's no reason why an aviator should not wear his wings on his BDUs or a specialty badge on his flight suit.  Wearing different clothes does not change the person's qualifications.