Outwear and headgear with mess dress

Started by Eclipse, June 27, 2008, 08:14:53 PM

mikeylikey

While we are talking about Mess Dress, does the AF have a cape for that uniform??  Also, years ago didn't the AF have a white dress uniform?  Finally, why can't CAP members wear regular AF Officer shoulder boards?  Wouldn't that be cheaper than buying the "modified" ones from Vanguard??
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

I'll give you 2 of 3:

White Mess Dress:

#2b

Benjamin O'Davis in "tropical whites"

Another example: 

#3 - because it would violate regs on not having distinctive insignia, with basically no way to tell we are not regular military.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 30, 2008, 12:35:17 AM
While we are talking about Mess Dress, does the AF have a cape for that uniform??  Also, years ago didn't the AF have a white dress uniform?

The cape is strictly an Army thing.

Also, years ago didn't the AF have a white dress uniform?

Yes, the AF used to have white/summer mess dress.  And the regular (winter?) AF mess dress used to be black, not dark blue.

Finally, why can't CAP members wear regular AF Officer shoulder boards?  Wouldn't that be cheaper than buying the "modified" ones from Vanguard??

That's pretty absurd.  That's like asking why CAP can't just wear AF rank on our blues.  The shoulderboard with blue striping instead of silver is one of only two ways our CAP mess dress is even distinguishable from USAF uniforms.

Besides - our boards are cheaper.  CAP officer boards cost $30 from Vanguard.  AF boards cost $52 from Vanguard.  Gotta have the facts before you make up justifications.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: Pylon on June 30, 2008, 12:48:25 AM
While we are talking about Mess Dress, does the AF have a cape for that uniform??  Also, years ago didn't the AF have a white dress uniform?

The cape is strictly an Army thing.

Maybe now, but not always. My first few years in the Air Force, 35-10 had the option of a cape for officers wearing mess dress. I believe that the cape was left out when 35-10 was replaced with 36-2903. I don't recall there being mention of one in 2903 at all.

MIKE

Speaking of capes... Does the Navy and/or USMC still have the boat cloaks?
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Are you sure that isn't a Good Humor Man in those photos of the white uniform?

SarDragon

Quote from: MIKE on June 30, 2008, 02:56:29 AM
Speaking of capes... Does the Navy and/or USMC still have the boat cloaks?

IIRC, yes. I'm too lazy to look it up right now. It would be just for E-7 and above.

[edit, my conscience got the better of me]

Yes, they are still optional items for male Chiefs and Officers.

NAVPERS 15665I, Art 3501.4
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret