Epaulet Shapers- A New Novelty?

Started by rightstuffpilot, June 26, 2008, 04:26:05 PM

rightstuffpilot

After trying to hunt down a set of epaulet shapers--I discovered both Vanguard and The Hock no longer sell epaulet shapers. After talking with Tom (The Hock), I discovered that the company that patented the design went out of business and did not sell the patent. I did find that www.paradestore.com seemed to have them--but I haven't ordered from them before and do not know specifically if they are in stock.
HEIDI C. KIM, Maj , CAP
CFI/CFII/MEI
Spaatz # 1700

Cedar Rapids Composite Squadron- Commander

Al Sayre

I've bought them several times at MCSS...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

_

I've always made my own.  A little time with a metal hanger and pliers can make pretty good shapers.

Tubacap

I could never figure out the purpose, my epaulets always seemed to keep their shape on their own.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

RiverAux

Don't understand the need for them.  They've never shown any inclination to curl up in a little ball or do anything else that would indicate they won't hold their shape. 

jb512

Some of us just like to do the extra little things in life.  I've always used a metal hanger and pliers too.

RiverAux

I suppose I just don't understand what the shapers are doing in the first place.  What "shape" do they put into the epalets that isn't already there?  Anyone got some photos of a "shaped" epalet so I can see what we're talking about and understand why you would want to do it? 

jb512

Quote from: RiverAux on June 26, 2008, 06:55:15 PM
I suppose I just don't understand what the shapers are doing in the first place.  What "shape" do they put into the epalets that isn't already there?  Anyone got some photos of a "shaped" epalet so I can see what we're talking about and understand why you would want to do it? 

It's just a piece of metal curved to fit inside the epaulet.  It makes the epaulet lie flat all the time and not get the bend in it from curving down the shoulder or when you raise your arms.

It's not necessary, but it is just another piece of the overall picture that makes a uniform look squared away.

arajca

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 26, 2008, 06:59:56 PM

It's just a piece of metal curved to fit inside the epaulet.  It makes the epaulet lie flat all the time and not get the bend in it from curving down the shoulder or when you raise your arms.
Until it slips out and you see a piece of wire sticking out from under the epaulet.

QuoteIt's not necessary, but it is just another piece of the overall picture that makes a uniform look squared away.

In your opinion. Having seen many shapers sticking out, they do not engender a "squared away" look. IMO, they are more of an Honor Guard wannabe item. Remember, fabric is SUPPOSED to flex. I put them in the same category as the super starched bdu's. You know, the ones that stay perfectly flat when you hold them horizontally by the waist.

Eclipse

I've generally purchased them at the NAVEx or other MCSS - I would not wear my epaulet sleeves without them, but then again I starch my BDU's as well.

When worn properly, they not only keep the epaulet sleeve in the right shape, but also in the right position.

You thread the epaulet through it so that the open "spring" side is under the epaulet on the shoulder side and over the epaulet on the button side (all inside the epaulet sleeve, of course).

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: arajca on June 26, 2008, 07:27:27 PM
Until it slips out and you see a piece of wire sticking out from under the epaulet.
I can't say that I have ever had them come out.

I do however think they're nicer than having the things turn into cylinders and having them get bunched up when putting on a jacket. They stay flat. The sleeves.. thats a different story. ;-)

jb512

Quote from: arajca on June 26, 2008, 07:27:27 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on June 26, 2008, 06:59:56 PM

QuoteIt's not necessary, but it is just another piece of the overall picture that makes a uniform look squared away.

In your opinion. Having seen many shapers sticking out, they do not engender a "squared away" look. IMO, they are more of an Honor Guard wannabe item. Remember, fabric is SUPPOSED to flex. I put them in the same category as the super starched bdu's. You know, the ones that stay perfectly flat when you hold them horizontally by the waist.

And I put people with sloppy uniforms in a category that I can't say in this forum.

If you knew anything about us Honor Guard wannabes, or those of us who have actually done Honor Guard, you'd know that you put the shaper on the underside of the epaulet so that it doesn't pop out.

Don't worry, we'll pick up your slack.

O-Rex

Then answer to "why" is that epaulets tend to 'bow' when the wearer is seated, or huched forward.  It's not at pronounced with CAP epaulets, which are shorter than Mil versions, but it still happens. 

Also, most USAF blue epaulets are just a tad too narrow for the white aviator shirts, shapers help a bit.

Tubacap

Quote from: O-Rex on June 27, 2008, 12:51:34 PM
Then answer to "why" is that epaulets tend to 'bow' when the wearer is seated, or huched forward.  It's not at pronounced with CAP epaulets, which are shorter than Mil versions, but it still happens. 

Also, most USAF blue epaulets are just a tad too narrow for the white aviator shirts, shapers help a bit.

Thank you!  That was the first post that gave a specific utilization for them.  So do people just cut up a coat hanger to make them?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Eclipse

As mentioned, military epaulet sleeves are significantly smaller than CAP ones, the shapers help keep the
epaulet from being bunched inside (YMMV based on how wide the shirts epaulets actually are).

Below the epaulet sleeves are the two different types of shapers I have. I prefer the ones on the left, as the ones on the right
came with little white vinyl ends that always get lost quickly (never found it matters).  I believe the type on the right came from MCSS, no idea on the left (I have 2-3 pairs of each type, including some on my service coat, sweater, and jacket that rarely come out).  Yes it would be very easy to make these out of a hanger or similar, however that could be dangerous to the shirt(s), as I am assuming that these are either stainless steel or something at least corrosion resistant, most hangers aren't - the last thing you want are rust stains on your shirt or insignia.  Also, I generally stretch them wider as I put them on to insure full "spring".

The below shows how you're supposed to thread them on the epaulet, then the how the sleeve goes over, and how it looks properly placed.  As shown, if any metal is showing, its because the epaulet sleeve is not positioned correctly.  Yes, I have seen members not wearing them correctly (i.e. inside the sleeve but over the epaulet), and the metal shows - you correct the member quickly and privately and the problem never appears again.

Note that when used properly, the shaper not only keeps the epaulet sleeve stretched open, but also works to hold the epaulet sleeve in place at the end of the epaulet.  You will rarely see anyone with an epaulet sleeve creeping up the epaulet towards the neck if they are wearing shapers.

Here is an example of shaper vs. no shaper, with the shaper on the left (nametag side).  The difference is subtle but obvious, especially for members who also wear shirt garters, (so that the front of the shirt is being pulled down at the same time your shoulder may be raised).  I see a very pronounced curve most often on heavier members wearing short-sleeved shirts while seated.

BTW - another pet peeve of mine is people who wear a notebook bag, backpack, purse, or anything else that hangs on the epaulet sleeve.  Looks terrible and ruins the insignia.

"That Others May Zoom"

ThorntonOL

going along the lines of the super starched uniform. I had a cadet commander back in my days as a cadet (not to long ago) who always had a an excellent uniform, starched and ironed, it was ended so starched it stood on it's own.
By that time he got a new uniform as that one had starting becoming brittle.
Goes along the other cadet with boots that looked like a mirror. (almost could shave with it.) Now for the epaulet shapers I don't think anyone in my unit has ever needed them.  Now i can't say whether or not anyone has actually used them.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

RiverAux

Thanks for the illustrations Eclipse.  If it works for you thats fine.  But as I'm one of those who think shirt garters are silly, I think I'll pass on this novelty item as well. 

Eclipse

When I joined 9 years ago, there was very little attention paid or guidance given to new members on their uniforms (in my area), so I had to seek it out from active duty people and other sources. 

I went and discussed how things should be done with the sharpest-looking people in the group.

Garters, shapers, starching BDU's, etc.,  all seemed pretty self-evident once they were mentioned, and have been something I just assume as a part of being in CAP.

I also took notice that the guys who seemed to take the least amount of time on their uniforms and appearance, also took the least amount of time on every thing else as well.  Sure everyone gets dirty / crushed / tore-up doing mission work, but I'm talking about walking in the door looking like a pile of laundry, or not being able to discern the difference between a knock-around field uniform and something that should look sharp for unit meetings.

Honestly, once you give it the 30 seconds of initial "lights-on" thought, this is the most attention something like this has gotten from me for 7 or so years since I started wearing service dress or whites.  The insinuation in a lot of these threads is that things like this are only for excessive "poser-types" with nothing better to do, and I can tell you that is far from the truth.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

You can wear the uniform without these extras and not look like a pile of dirty laundry. 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"