Purchase of Items at MCSS

Started by JC004, June 24, 2008, 03:16:58 PM

JC004

Last time I bought shoes for my service uniform at Ft. Indiantown Gap, I was told that I couldn't purchase DSCP shoes and had to buy the commercial ones.  They didn't have my size in the commercial shoes, which is why I picked up the DSCP. 

I've almost always bought DSCP items, particularly shirts.  I can't even imagine how many DSCP items I've bought in the past 9 years.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

JohnKachenmeister

Insight?

Into a clerk making up his or her own rules?
Another former CAP officer

JC004

well, she was the manager, which was the most annoying part...no way to go around her.

I was wonder if anyone else had this experience before, maybe she was mixing up rules meant for other eligible folks, etc.

afgeo4

Sure there's a way. Hand her a copy of USAF regulations authorizing CAP personnel uniform purchase privileges.
GEORGE LURYE

SJFedor

Uh huh. Or we can just drive out to Dix again. You and I didn't have any problems last time we were out there.  :D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JC004

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 24, 2008, 03:58:54 PM
Sure there's a way. Hand her a copy of USAF regulations authorizing CAP personnel uniform purchase privileges.

did.  that thing off the NHQ web site.  She said there were "additional rules" blah blah blah

Quote from: SJFedor on June 24, 2008, 03:59:32 PM
Uh huh. Or we can just drive out to Dix again. You and I didn't have any problems last time we were out there.  :D

Let me know when you'll be at my house because I was just about to place an AAFES phone order.

afgeo4

Call AAFES customer service and file a complaint. AAFES has no right to reject Air Force Instructions. By the way, Army regs state that CAP has the right to purchase uniform items as well. My local MCSS manager dug those up when she couldn't find a copy of the AFI. I don't remember the number, but they exist.
GEORGE LURYE

Tubacap

However, I think this may be more local.  I would contact the State Executive Director because he is working with the base commander currently to get this ironed out.  This has been an issue on this particular installation since the opening of the new MCSS.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

♠SARKID♠

Quotedid.  that thing off the NHQ web site.  She said there were "additional rules" blah blah blah

Then hand her this, AFR 147-14.  Section 2-9,C,4  and ask her to point out these so called "additional rules".
http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r60_20.pdf

SarDragon

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 24, 2008, 04:18:01 PM
Call AAFES customer service and file a complaint. AAFES has no right to reject Air Force Instructions. By the way, Army regs state that CAP has the right to purchase uniform items as well. My local MCSS manager dug those up when she couldn't find a copy of the AFI. I don't remember the number, but they exist.

The AFI is the AR is the AFI. Same text, two different identifiers. The copy I d/l'd has both numbers on the cover.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mikeylikey

Quote from: Tubacap on June 24, 2008, 04:38:55 PM
However, I think this may be more local.  I would contact the State Executive Director because he is working with the base commander currently to get this ironed out.  This has been an issue on this particular installation since the opening of the new MCSS.

Call (LTCOL) Bruce Berner at McGuire.  Call me if you need his number.  The MCSS team at the "GAP" are insane.  Not only is Wing HQ on the GAP, but AAFES HQ has stepped in before to straighten those people out.  It lasted for about 6 months until they once again started giving CAP crap on buying stuff.  However, if you need to buy anything from the PX, they will absolutely let you, if not try to talk you into buying more.  They even allow CAP members to purchase from the Gas station now.  (The TAG worked it out so anyone with an organizational HQ on post can use any and all facilities, to include CLASS 6).  I guess sales had been dropping rather low the past 2 or 3 years and they needed to justify building a new PX/MCSS/CLASS 6/Gas Station. 
What's up monkeys?

md132

THere are no addtional rules.  Don't know what this manager was talking about.  It is clearly in Army Regulation 60-20.  You don't have to buy commercial items.  You should be able to buy DSCP items as well.  You can contact BG Bill Thurgood at AAFES HQ.  He is the Commanding General of AAFES. 

mikeylikey

COLGAN.......get on the train, and go to the Philly Naval Base.  Walk into the warehouse right after the NAVEX, and purchase DSCP directly from DSCP.  They have a new sales store in the front of their HQ.  Bypass the Military MCSS altogether!!!

Be careful though, the neighborhood is a tad dangerous.  They were selling crack right outside the main gate there last week, and I think like 20 people have been murdered there in the past 30 days alone!  I kid you not!
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 25, 2008, 02:40:31 AM
Be careful though, the neighborhood is a tad dangerous.  They were selling crack right outside the main gate there last week, and I think like 20 people have been murdered there in the past 30 days alone!  I kid you not!

And theres one more reason for me to stay away from Pennsilvania... no offense, but that place has been the bane of my road trip existence.

(I so wrote this from my PS3!  :D  )

CASH172

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 25, 2008, 02:40:31 AM
COLGAN.......get on the train, and go to the Philly Naval Base.  Walk into the warehouse right after the NAVEX, and purchase DSCP directly from DSCP.  They have a new sales store in the front of their HQ.  Bypass the Military MCSS altogether!!!

Next time I'm near McGuire or down in southern Jersey I'll try it out.  The MCSS at Dix doesn't sell many BDUs or BDU related items anymore. 

md132

It will be close to impossible to find BDU's at any MCSS now.  Some may have some in the storeroom others will not anymore.  The only service that is still wearing BDU's is the Navy I believe.  Unless they have their own uniform.  USAF is still transitioning to the ABU's but you may not still be able to find BDU's at just about any AFMCSS.  Your best bet is either an Outdoor store or online.  I know that Ft Meade and Andrews AFB doesn't have anymore BDU's.

JC004

I ordered by phone with AAFES.  Luckily, they still had my stuff on file and I didn't need to fax them anything.