Cadets wearing Golf Shirt

Started by CASH172, June 22, 2008, 01:58:44 AM

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on June 27, 2008, 06:19:47 AM
Sorry if this causes another twist.. but..

What if they desire to wear it .. say.. to a movie, to school, etc.

"Whats Civil Air Patrol?"

..and score a member or two?

After all, a couple of those varieties are just a polo shirt that has a CAP seal on it ..

Or off meeting night get togethers' camaraderie stuff, work parties, etc.

It's not horribly different than say.. a polo shirt from an airport gift shop, a visited museum, that t-shirt or other polo shirt they may have gotten from another cadet activity, etc..

I would then suggest one of the other shirts, that Vanguard sells, that say CAP in some form, but are NOT uniform items.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chappie

Quote from: SarDragon on June 27, 2008, 08:03:36 AM
Quote from: a2capt on June 27, 2008, 06:19:47 AM
Sorry if this causes another twist.. but..

What if they desire to wear it .. say.. to a movie, to school, etc.

"Whats Civil Air Patrol?"

..and score a member or two?

After all, a couple of those varieties are just a polo shirt that has a CAP seal on it ..

Or off meeting night get togethers' camaraderie stuff, work parties, etc.

It's not horribly different than say.. a polo shirt from an airport gift shop, a visited museum, that t-shirt or other polo shirt they may have gotten from another cadet activity, etc..

I would then suggest one of the other shirts, that Vanguard sells, that say CAP in some form, but are NOT uniform items.

YMMV.

Concurs with Dave on this one.  I have the Embrodiered Golf Short (uniform item) which is worn with the gray slacks.  Wear that one on various occassions for CAP official events that are more informal in nature.  But also have a few polo shirts (Wing Staff/NSC student and staff) and leisure oxford shirts (a couple of colors to choose from) which have a CAP seal/event logo, etc. which I wear for casual wear to events mentioned in the posted inquiry or for traveling to a CAP  event (nice identifier when being picked up at the airport by a greeting party).  It does give an opportunity for PR but is not an "official" uniform item.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

RiverAux

Agree -- the "uniform" polo shirts should not be worn outside of CAP events.  Its a quirky line to deal with though.  For example, the gray pants are just another pair of gray pants and to wear them outside of CAP is perfectly ok since they aren't specifically identifiable as a CAP uniform.  The blue polo shirts are though. 

I agree with Chappie that the event-type shirts are fine since they aren't official CAP uniform items and could be worn be seniors or cadets outside of CAP activities. 

Dragoon

I agree that any uniform item, like the official golf shirt, should not be mixed and matched as part of civilian attire.

However, Ms. Parker has told me that it's completely OK to do so, as it's "good publicity" for CAP to show the golf shirt.

I wish that our head uniform guru actually wore uniforms every now and then.  That might help clear up some of the confusion.

BuckeyeDEJ

It cannot be overstated:

There are too many uniforms and "uniforms" in Civil Air Patrol -- so much so that there is almost no uniformity whatsoever.

Let there be ONE CAP counterpart for each AF uniform. And only one. When I go to a CAP function, sometimes I'm not sure if I'm at an organized activity or a fashion show for the local Army-Navy store.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.