Reimbursing pilots for corporate missions?

Started by RiverAux, May 31, 2008, 10:01:57 PM

RiverAux

CAPR60-1 has this in it regards to the FAA's exemption allowing CAP private pilots to receive reimbursements:
QuoteThe FAA Exemption to FAR Part 61.113(e), exemption number 6771B, allows CAP members who are private pilots flying Air Force assigned (Categories A and B) "search and locate" missions to be reimbursed for certain expenses.
• Reimbursement for member-furnished aircraft is included.
• Per diem is allowed.
• Only reimbursement and per diem provided for in CAP Regulation 173-3, Payment for Civil Air Patrol Support, are allowed, and only at the rates and in accordance with the procedures set forth in that regulation.

This appears to limit it only to AFAMs.  Since CAP is flying more and more corporate missions for state agencies, am I wrong in thinking that reimbursing pilots for their expenses for these missions  would be breaking federal law?  I have a hard time believing that CAP would make a mistake like this, but is there something else out there that would allow it?

isuhawkeye

many C missions require commercial liscense.  that requirment is usually spelled out by the noc when they award a mission number

RiverAux

I'm not thinking of transportation-type missions, but things like damage assessments, lost person SAR that are done by any old mission pilot. 

isuhawkeye

in my experience most DR lights are either A or B missions, and since you are looking or damage that alls under "search and locate"

that's the reason it doesn't say search and rescue

RiverAux

Based on comments on this board, it seems to be more and more common for missions to be done under corporate authority (example, the wing that had to do a homeland defense exercise requested by their National Guard as a corporate mission since CAP-USAF wouldn't authorize AFAM status for it).

Incidentally, I have checked out the FAR references in 60-1, and I guess I'm just not understanding them. 

mikeylikey

Face it....the Air Force will always say "your State and Community Missions are just that, NOT AFAM, thus no funding".  They do it like any other big business would, to save money.

Seriously though.....per diem.  I can see it being offered on AFAM overnighters, but has anyone turned in a reimbursement request for Wendy's food during their flight? 

What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

I'm primarily interested in fuel/oil reimbursement. 

mikeylikey

^ Of course Fuel/ Oil gets reimbursed on AFAM, and your Wing respectively should have the reimbursement procedures for State and local missions. 

What's up monkeys?

FW

Attachment 2 (page 36-38) of CAPR 60-1 spells it out pretty clearly to me.  A private pilot can be reimbursed the "pro rated share" or not log the time for certain "C" missions.  Best bet would be to not log the time and get reimbursed for flying the mission.    Of course, you could just get your Comm./Inst. and not worry about it.

Mustang

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 31, 2008, 11:00:42 PMSeriously though.....per diem.  I can see it being offered on AFAM overnighters, but has anyone turned in a reimbursement request for Wendy's food during their flight? 
You bet.  I worked the Fossett search for 6 days, our hotel rooms went on a wing credit card, and they were reimbursed for that, but I sought--and got--reimbursed for my meals.  There was a dollar amount we were limited to for both lodging and meals, but I don't remember what it was.

Per diem is the best new benefit searchers have been authorized in a long time.  The Fossett mission would've been a complete bust for me without it.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

DG

In current ops today, across the country,

when are member owned or otherwise non-corporate a/c being used for any CAP flights?

Such that the member is getting reimbursed for the a/c rate and fuel cost.

RiverAux

I've seen them used on transport flights from their home field to a mission base, though not for a few years.  Probably due more to a change in how we've been running our missions more than anything else. 

Short Field

I can't think of any missions we fly for local agencies where we have to use a C mission number.  There are enough options under A and B missions where the locals pay that it does not make sense to use a C mission number.  Remember, A/B vs C is all about the insurance coverage.

We can always ask to use non-corporate aircraft.  The only requirement our wing has is to show that corporate aircraft are not available.  That has happened a few times and it was no big deal to get authorization for the private aircraft.  Last case I remember as a low-level survey and we got approval as soon as we called to report the corporate aircraft we were going to use was just grounded.  This happened just a few months ago.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

KyCAP

I've been the IC of several damage assesment missions where the state EMA requested support and did not receive A/B coverage and we ran them as C missions (about 2 years ago).
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Eclipse

Quote from: Short Field on July 24, 2008, 08:24:37 PM
I can't think of any missions we fly for local agencies where we have to use a C mission number.  There are enough options under A and B missions where the locals pay that it does not make sense to use a C mission number.  Remember, A/B vs C is all about the insurance coverage.

Consider yourself lucky, we've had WAY too many missions turned down by the NOC as A/B and had to go on a C, even for 3-, and 4- letter agencies when they have requested help.

The designation is also about who pays for the gas, the corp or the USAF, but you're right, more importantly its about the protection of our members, and I am very frustrated that our people go out on their own nickel and can't even get FECA protection if they are hurt.   :(

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

I just check WMIRS for the year to date missions.  We have had really good luck using A2 missions approved by AFNSEP. 

AFNSEP is the 1AF (AFNORTH) National Security Emergency Preparedness (NSEP) directorate which facilitates/coordinates USAF Defense Support to Civil Authorities (DSCA) for natural/man-made disasters and emergencies.
Wilson #2640

IceNine

And how are we requested if we are to be funded through this source?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Short Field

You are requested locally - as in they contact you.  Then you work the mission approval through the different levels by phone to get the right mission number and code.   You have to help the customer get it right.   If they went to AFRCC first, you might have to get the mission type changed.  It is all doable.
Wilson #2640