Would you correct them?

Started by RiverAux, May 12, 2008, 03:47:51 AM

Assuming you are a senior member, would you correct another senior member about an obvious uniform regulation violation under these circumstances (choose as many as you would like)?

I would correct them if they were in my unit and I was senior to them in grade
I would correct them if they were in my unit (regardless of grade)
I would correct them if they were not in my unit but only if I was senior to them in grade.
I would correct them if they were not in my unit regardless of their grade
I would correct them only if they were in my unit and I was senior to them in the unit chain of command (for example, if I was their squadron commander)
I would not correct another senior member no matter the circumstances.

MIKE

OT: I got C/2d Lt for my Mitchell.  ;D
Mike Johnston

Duke Dillio

^OT again:  I got my Eaker certificate as a senior 1LT...

I think that the basic point is that it is inherent in our duty to correct those who fail to wear the uniform properly.  The way that you go about it will be different depending on the situation.  If you want to be a hard charger and yell at everyone who has even the slightest infraction, be my guest.  As a professional, I will take the person aside and talk to them about it.  This is a volunteer organization, not a boot camp.  While I do my best to set the standard, I don't feel the need to berate and belittle people.  If the cadets want to complain about me wearing an LSU, let them have at it.  I have other things to worry about besides putting a bunch of bling on an AF blue uniform.

VIVA LA POLO!!!!!

jb512

Quote from: BillB on May 13, 2008, 11:32:34 AM
Cadet Warrent Officer was the original title of the grade when you got the Mitchell. It retained that name from the Senior Member grade system before it was changed to Flight Officer. the C/WO title was used for a very short period before changed to C/FO. Both C/WO and C/FO wore the gold pip.

You learn something new everyday.

lordmonar

Very situaitonal.

If the violator was a squadron memeber I would tell them to correct it.

If it was someone outside of the squadron who just goofed up (something not lined up right, out of place, upside down, etc) I would help them out.  If it was someone outside the squadron who was wearing somthing really wrong (say like a beret, orange t-shirt) I may ask them what the deal was.  But as soon as they say something like "My commander told me it was okay"....that's it.....end of conversation....because I am not in their chain....I cannot countermand a "My commander told me to".  I may bring it up my chain of command if it was really bad....but that is all I or anyone can do.

As bad as all the PAWG stuff is.....I can't do anything about it and it is not my place to do so.  NER/CC and NAT/CC would be the ones to correct that stuff.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sarmed1

Quote"My commander told me it was okay"....

Thats the biggest reason I stopped making comments unless specifically asked by someone.  Cadets it doesnt matter, they salute and say yes sir, but seniors sort of live in that corportate (like Enron) mentality of "...its not my fault if my boss told me it was ok..."

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

"I was just following orders."

It's been used to defend a lot of tragedies throughout history.

"My squadron commander said it was ok"

To me that should be enough if you're visiting that squadron or an activity that they are hosting.  Other wise what they've got approved by their squadron commander shouldn't be in effect.  Just like a Wing Policy is only in effect while you're in that Wing.  If you leave even though it's your home Wing you have to go by the policies of the Wing you're visiting. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Chappie

Quote from: sarmed1 on May 14, 2008, 07:45:04 AM
Quote"My commander told me it was okay"....

Thats the biggest reason I stopped making comments unless specifically asked by someone.  Cadets it doesnt matter, they salute and say yes sir, but seniors sort of live in that corportate (like Enron) mentality of "...its not my fault if my boss told me it was ok..."

mk

A few years ago a chaplain showed up to the Chaplain Service Region Staff College with his USAF-style blue shirt modified with a clerical collar, "because his wing chaplain approved it."  There was much discussion over the use of the term "tab"...which had been interpreted by said chaplain and wing chaplain as "clerical collar."   Talk about a stretch.    Well, the matter was handled by the CAP Chief of Chaplain Service and the then-Executive Director of CAP Chaplain Services who were in attendance.   But the said chaplain had to hear it from someone higher up (i.e. National -- not divine ;D ) before he complied.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Quote from: Chappie on May 14, 2008, 04:03:47 PM
 But the said chaplain had to hear it from someone higher up (i.e. National -- not divine ;D ) before he complied.

Is there a difference in our program?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

LtCol057

Several years ago when I was a student at MER RSC, the instructors took turns every day making a deliberate error on their uniform.  The first student that notified the instructor of a uniform infraction got brownie points.   

Then a couple of years ago while I was Wing Personnel Officer, I went to a local squadron meeting because I had some questions about promotion paperwork that had been sent in.  While there, I noticed cadets in formation with SEVERAL uniform infractions.  Berets of 4 different colors (none had been to NBB), orange t-shirt under BDUs, a male cadet unshaven with ear rings in while in uniform, among others.  Naturally, the CC wasn't there.  I sent him a letter detailing what I observed, and a copy to his Group CC.  I was having mixed feelings about it, but when I talked to the Wing Chief of Staff, he said that I was representing the Wing CC, and also as Personnel Officer, it was my responsibility to make uniform corrections.   Now, doesn't matter who it is, I try tactfully to make corrections.  Even had to ask a former Wing Chaplain to remove his headgear inside the building.

winterg

I have no problem correcting a fellow member regardless of rank.  HOW you do it is what matters.  We're supposed to be professionals.  If the corector does so in a professional manner and the corectee is also a professional there should not be a problem.

RiverAux

I had forgotten about this thread.  In looking at the poll results, 55% of respondents would only correct someone if they were in the same unit (but even then, the relative grade and position of both people come into play quite a bit). 

flyerthom

Quote from: NCO forever on May 12, 2008, 08:56:09 PM
Quote from: Orion Pax on May 12, 2008, 08:31:50 PM
We can only do so much.  It's a shame we can't hang those with gross uniform violations by their toe nails.   >:D

Sounds like a good idea.

If they can't keep their uniforms right - what are their toes like? EWWWWW!

I'd probably point out something obvious like a frog that fell off but I am clueless about RM awards and badges. In that case if I had a question I'd ask someone who was RM and ask them what to do.
TC

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 12, 2008, 11:16:38 PM
Quote from: Orion Pax on May 12, 2008, 07:55:42 PM
You can only have one clipped on to your left waistband.
Actually not - you can have one but it is not specified where.      The USAF specifies the left side but not the quantity.   39-1 says:
Quote from: 39-1
Pagers, Cellular Phone,
Two-way Radio
Clipped to waistband or purse, or carried in left hand. Only one is
authorized.
That also means you can't hold it in the right hand, which is bad for me since keying a portable with my thumb doesn't work so well.

I think the Air Force also stipulates that to carry the device on the belt, it must be necessary to perform Air Force duty. I'd extrapolate that to CAP, whether or not such a clause is in CAPM 39-1. It's the Air Force's uniform, and though some things aren't in the 39-1, it doesn't mean we jack up the uniform just because a CAP regulation is remiss.

Besides that, it eliminates a lot of distractions among cadets (and some seniors) during CAP activities. The phones are either stowed in a BDU pocket or put away somewhere for the duration.

(Also: You don't carry it in the right hand because it's difficult to render proper military honors with a radio in your hand.)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.