Multiple Specialty Badges

Started by Shotgun, May 06, 2008, 04:48:25 PM

ßτε

Quote from: Captain Morgan on July 18, 2008, 11:16:39 PM
I've got another one for the uniform gurus to figure out.  On the AF style Service coat can you wear all of the following?  If so, where?

Wings
GT Badge
IC Badge
ES Badge

You would not be allowed to wear both the GT badge and the IC badge. Whichever is chosen to be worn is placed 1/2 inch above the ribbons. The wings (Aviation badge) are placed 1/2 inch above the GT/IC badge.
The ES badge could be placed either below the pocket flap on the left breast pocket or 1/2 inch above the nameplate.

Eclipse

I've got another one for the uniform gurus to figure out.  On the AF style Service coat can you wear all of the following?  If so, where?

Wings
GT Badge
IC Badge
ES Badge

You would have to forgo either the wings or one of the other two badges.  The only play they are approved is above the ribbons on the left side, and you can only wear two.

The ES badge would be worn on the left pocket in any case.

"That Others May Zoom"

jb512

Wings
GT Badge
IC Badge
ES Badge

You'd have to pick between the GT badge and the IC badge to be worn centered 1/2" above the ribbons.  The wings would be centered 1/2" above that.  The ES badge would go centered 1 1/2" below the top of the welt pocket or centered 1/2" above the nametag.

MIKE

Wings
GT Badge
IC Badge
ES Badge

First off... only the ES badge is a specialty badge and it would be "Worn centered 1 1/2 inches below top of welt pocket" if that is your only specialty badge.  The IC badge has been classed as a specialty insignia like the GT badge, so you will have to pick one and wear it 1/2 inch above ribbons and 1/2 inch beneath the "wings".

Wearing two specialty insignia i.e. IC badge and GT badge. is not authorized. 
Mike Johnston

Captain Morgan

Thanks - I wasn't getting the distinction between Specialty Insignia and Specialty Badges.  It was also confusing that they did not make the IC Badge in two sizes since the regs specifically state that you can not mix the sizes of the Specialty Insignia.
Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
AL3, AOBD, GTM3, IC3, IO, LO, MP, MSO
KY Wing Government Relations Officer
Blue Grass Senior Squadron ES Officer
Lexington, KY

Eclipse

Basically we're only supposed to wear two devices above the ribbons, correct?

Which category does an EIB,  CIB or CAB fall into?

In general, a military badge such as an Air Assault badge would be worn in lieu of a specialty insignia (such as the GTM), correct?

Are we ever authorized to wear anything on or below the pocket, even if the Army wore it there? 39-1 says the badge(s) have to be authorized on the USAF uniform and worn as they would be there.

I have a specific issue right now with a member who is wear an EIB above the ribbons, and an air assault, marksman, and EMT below, I know this is incorrect, but want to make sure I dot the I's.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

What if you are a commander?

Does the command badge then take the place of one of the two CAP badges on the whites?

In other words a pilot/GTM, has to pick one and remove it for the command badge?

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Yes.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Figure 4-2.11. Only the CAP aviation badge and one additional CAP badge are authorized on this uniform.

To ammend the above see also:

Quote from: CAPM 39-16-5. Description and Proper Placement on the Aviator Shirt with Epaulets. When wearing the
aviator shirt the gray nameplate must also be worn. CAP ribbons, CAP aviation badge and one
additional CAP badge may be worn (specialty insignia, specialty badge or command badge).
No other
badges or patches are authorized with this combination. See Chapter 4 for more information. Figure 6-
16 illustrates the CAP aviation badges and Figure 6-17 illustrates the specialty insignia. Table 6-3
outlines the placement of these items.
Mike Johnston

jb512

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2008, 12:46:01 AM
Basically we're only supposed to wear two devices above the ribbons, correct?

Which category does an EIB,  CIB or CAB fall into?

In general, a military badge such as an Air Assault badge would be worn in lieu of a specialty insignia (such as the GTM), correct?

Are we ever authorized to wear anything on or below the pocket, even if the Army wore it there? 39-1 says the badge(s) have to be authorized on the USAF uniform and worn as they would be there.

I have a specific issue right now with a member who is wear an EIB above the ribbons, and an air assault, marksman, and EMT below, I know this is incorrect, but want to make sure I dot the I's.

The EIB isn't listed on the table, so the member would have to consult national.  The air assault and CAP EMT are authorized, but not the army marksman badges.  Here is the table:

Table 6-5. US Military Badges Authorized on CAP Service Uniforms and BDUs
1 US Military Aeronautical Badges
2 Air Force Occupational Badges
3 Combat Infantry or Army Medical Badge
4 US Army Air Assault Badge and Path Finder Badge
5 Parachute Riggers Badge
6 Scuba Badge
7 Distinguished International Shooter Badge
8 Air Force Distinguished Rifleman and Pistol Shot Badge
9 Silver Excellence-in-Competition Rifle and Pistol Badge with Wreath
10 Bronze Excellence-in-Competition Rifle and Pistol Badge With or Without Wreath
11 Office of the Secretary of Defense Badge
12 Joint Chief of Staff Identification Badge
13 Presidential Service Badge or Vice-Presidential Service Badge
14 Excellence-in-Competition Badge

NOTES:
1. Badges are worn in the same position as they are worn on the Air Force uniform. If a CAP badge is worn in the same position, the member must choose one to the exclusion of the other.
2. Before wearing any badge not listed in Table 6-5, contact National Headquarters/LMM for clarification.

And, we can't wear anything on the pocket flap like the army does.

Dad2-4

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2008, 01:01:24 AM
What if you are a commander?

Does the command badge then take the place of one of the two CAP badges on the whites?

In other words a pilot/GTM, has to pick one and remove it for the command badge?
CAPM 39-1, figure 4-2, states the Command Badge is worn 1/2 inch above the name tag, that one can wear a CAP aviation badge and one CAP specialty insignia above the ribbons or left pocket, and that one specialty badge can be worn centered on the left pocket. Then item 11 says only one CAP aviation badge and one other badge can be worn. ???

Hawk200

Quote from: Dad2-4 on July 19, 2008, 02:08:02 AM
CAPM 39-1, figure 4-2, states the Command Badge is worn 1/2 inch above the name tag, that one can wear a CAP aviation badge and one CAP specialty insignia above the ribbons or left pocket, and that one specialty badge can be worn centered on the left pocket. Then item 11 says only one CAP aviation badge and one other badge can be worn. ???

A perfect example of people not proofing the manual prior to publication. Anyone actually dedicated to the project would have caught it.

wacapgh

And it's further restricted by table 6-2, Item 14:

US Military Badges and Devices: only those badges and devices authorized for wear on the Air Force uniform will be worn on the CAP uniform. Table 6-5 lists the most common badges authorized.

When it was published in 2005, CAPM 39-1 Table 6-5 and the AFI matched up.

A year later the USAF changed it's list of "badges and devices authorized for wear".

AFI 36-2903 2 AUGUST 2006 , restricts wear of the CIB, Combat Medic, Air Assault, Pathfinder, and Rigger badges to "only while permanently assigned to and performing duties with other services." and also refers to Note 11 (Table 5.2, Rules 5,6 and 7). 

Note 11 of the table reads "Permanent assignment denotes non TDY status. This rule also applies to other badges or patches i.e., Army Combat Patches earned or awarded by sister service components. Upon Permanent Change of Station (PCS) to an Air Force unit the member will remove them."

Most likely, if you ask NHQ they will refer to the latest USAF uniform rules (AFI36-2903).

So starting with our table 6-5, itself subject to the restriction of table 6.2 , and then finding the current list of USAF authorized devices (barring some bizarre combination of a CAP member who is on active duty with the USAF and currently assigned per Note 11 to an Army unit), the EIB, Air Assault, and Army Markmanship badges are not authorized for wear on any CAP uniform (USAF style is restricted to USAF authorized badges, CAP distinctive does not allow any military badges at all).

To answer Eclipse's question: EMT badge only.