ANY FLORIDA EMTs?

Started by Stonewall, April 28, 2008, 12:57:57 AM

Stonewall

Looking for anyone in the know, or perhaps someone here who knows someone with the answer.  The Florida Department of Health website is very confusing and often contradicts itself.

I am a current EMT-B, certified in the State (Commonwealth) of Virginia.  My certification doesn't expire until December 2009, so I have time.

It looks to me like FL will simply recognize and accept my VA certification as long as I am in good standing, which I am.  Okay, no biggie.  But at the end of the application there is the fee section, which is $75 (including exam fee).  No where in the entire application process does it say that I must pass a FL exam, yet there's a fee for it.

I would expect I would have to take the FL EMT-B exam, at least a written.

Anyone here know the deal?
Serving since 1987.

isuhawkeye

I dont have any first hand experience, but it is my understanding that florida does not have reciprocity, and that you have to take their exam.

Stonewall

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 28, 2008, 02:43:02 AM
I don't have any first hand experience, but it is my understanding that florida does not have reciprocity, and that you have to take their exam.

Yeah, the DOH website clearly says they'll accept most other states' training/certifications, but no where, other than under fees, does it mention about having to take a test.   I couldn't imagine not having to take a test, just kind of a nuisance that it doesn't clearly state so.
Serving since 1987.

SAR-EMT1

IIRC, FL accepts the card of another state ONLY if that state trained you to the (approximate) level of the NR. If you have NR then you're in like a hot knife through butter.

The process consists of a written and a demo practical. The fee handles said activities and the paperwork to get you in processed.

But go to a state like Texas or California and the NR is only half of what they need to know.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

stillamarine

Pretty much what he said. If you were trained to the NR standards then you can challenge the Florida registry with no further training. If not you have to have your training evaluated and take anything you are missing before you can take the registry.

IIRC VA is based on the NR so you should be ok.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SarWeenie

You have to have documentation of your training plus HIV/AIDS course (4 hours) and now HAZMAT awareness.  Then take the test...FL = NREMT.