Tips on Shinning Shoes and Boots

Started by c/LTCOLorbust, November 07, 2005, 10:49:36 PM

c/LTCOLorbust

I would like if any one has any. Tips on Shining Shoes and Boots, I mean I would like my Boots and Shoes to look well   :o I have heard of the Leather luster but don't know were to get it. I have also heard from other cadets that black Turtle Wax does a good job but I have never had the guts to use it on my boots or shoes.
1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

footballrun21

C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

c/LTCOLorbust

1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

SarDragon

The first post in the linked thread is an excellent method. It is tried and true; I learned it when I joined CAP, when there was no Mitchell Award yet!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

footballrun21

New Jersey Wing

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

iowacap

Ill tell you what I fount to be the best if anyone sees this but use glossy black shoe polish and fill the tin top with a little water and dab the rag with water and then with shoe polish and just polish until your hands hurt it gives a really nice shiny look to boots and for the shoes im lazy I got the new High gloss dress shoe for the blues 8)

mrhemi1971

Nothing beats the old cold water and time method, you first have to build the wax up with a few heavy rub in, wipe off coats, then use ice cold water, and polish in 1-1.5 inch circles till the polish doesn't swirl anymore. and USE COTTONBALLS. I'll post before and after pics if anyone needs to see the difference.
1Lt. Ryan Leach
Leadership Officer
Jack Schweiker Composite Squadron

SarDragon

An old cotton t-shirt works just as well as cotton balls, and is way cheaper in the long run. It's also more manageable after a little practice.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JAFO78

I have always used a lot of elbow grease, and time to build up a good shine on my shoes and boots.

All the suggestions work well. I find heating the wax works well. Just apply  heavy amounts for polish then turn your shoe upside down, then take a lighter and pass the shoe over the flame, but use caution not to set your shoe or boot on fire.
JAFO

footballrun21

Quote from: mrhemi1971 on February 11, 2006, 04:00:01 AM
Nothing beats the old cold water and time method, you first have to build the wax up with a few heavy rub in, wipe off coats, then use ice cold water, and polish in 1-1.5 inch circles till the polish doesn't swirl anymore. and USE COTTONBALLS. I'll post before and after pics if anyone needs to see the difference.

Post some pics, I'm just curious what it looks like.
New Jersey Wing

Marine Corps Gal

I've followed the recommended procedures, using Kiwi shiner and spending lots of time on it, but mine just don't shine.  They stay dull even though all the cracks and stuff are filled in.  What gives?

Recently I tried your method and it seemed to work GREAT.  It got to this splendid shine (the kind where you can see your reflection in it).  I was thinking how swell it was and all that....

Next morning I lace up my boots along with BDUs for a brat sale, when I notice strange little black flakes, exactly like paint chips, falling off of my boots.  Anywhere my boot creased while walking, it came off in layers. :(

Anyone know what's going on here?  ???

OO-RAH.

Smokey

Lincoln brand stain wax is what the Marines use.  It is available at most BXs, police uniform stores and military surplus stores.   

And for touch up, just before an inspection, keep a 6"-8" piece of nylon stocking (like pantyhose-----get it from your mom) in your sock or tucked in your boot top.  Stretch it out and give the boots/shoes a last minute buff.  Takes out light last minute brushs or scrapes.

Smokey
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Chris Jacobs

I was also told that Lincoln is a good brand just this last weekend.  I might try it now.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Becks

Lincoln or kiwi...frankly its all personal preference; one really isnt better than the other.  Marine Corps Gal: Did you strip/clean your boots prior to polishing them?  Alot of the time the polish will flake off if you do not remove existing layers.  When I have the time I always strip down my boots and start fresh, sure it takes a bit more time but it always seems to look better.  I use this method for polishing and have a great shine and have never experienced any flaking of any kind.
http://www.calguard.ca.gov/casmr/spitshine.htm

BBATW

SarDragon

Quote from: Becks on July 18, 2006, 03:37:04 PM
Lincoln or kiwi...frankly its all personal preference; one really isnt better than the other.  Marine Corps Gal: Did you strip/clean your boots prior to polishing them?  Alot of the time the polish will flake off if you do not remove existing layers.  When I have the time I always strip down my boots and start fresh, sure it takes a bit more time but it always seems to look better.  I use this method for polishing and have a great shine and have never experienced any flaking of any kind.
http://www.calguard.ca.gov/casmr/spitshine.htm

Yeah, it's a reasonable method. Be careful of exactly which "mineral spirits" you are using. Anything that resembles kerosene will kill the footwear quickly, because it leaves an oily residue. Put a little bit on a piece of glass or metal and let it evaporate. If there is any residue, don't use it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret