Meeting times

Started by footballrun21, November 07, 2005, 08:11:27 PM

footballrun21

I remember reading in one of the regs that weekly meetings should be about 2 1/2 hours long.  My squadron, as does a lot of others I know, only meets for two hours.

What time/day does everyone's squadron meet and for how long?
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

JaL5597

Third Wednesday for about 2 hours. 

Oh, wait...   :)

Here in Connecticut only 2 of our squadrons actually meet for 3 hours.  Both of them meet on Friday nights.  The rest meet between 2-2.5 hours with Tuesday being the popular night.

MIKE

Wednesdays from 1845 to 2130.

Previous squadron met/meets Tuesdays from 1800 to 2100, with most staff arriving at 1730ish.

Edited to add:

Quote from: CAPR 52-162-1. UNIT MEETINGS. The local unit normally meets weekly for approximately 2½ hours. The cadet staff, with
senior member guidance, plans the program.
Mike Johnston

capchiro

IIRC, I think the manual says something about a meeting being 2 1/2 hours.  With that said, we meet on Thursday from 7:00 till 9:00, usually 9:30-10:00ish.  It doesn't leave a lot of time to be messing around.  Full plate, etc. 
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

c/LTCOLorbust

We meet from 1730-2000 and thats pushing it some times mostly the Senior and Cadet staff stay till ohh 2100 some nights trying to get all the work done  that can't be done when the meeting is going on

Even thou most SQ over here in Washingtion say we meet to long, what do we do with all the time its really hard some nights to get everything done.

I mean right now we have a B-cut class going on and we have to have the end half next week because of time.

The cadets that have taken B-cut have an open meets........ and that means (paper work) 
1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

Chris Jacobs

My squadron officially meets from 1900-2130 every Monday night.  although i am there most nights at about 1800 and most cadets are there about 15 to 20 minuets before the meeting starts.  we are now getting the cadets out right on time but in the past we have had problems with running late.  i most the time will stay tell almost 2200 but i am the C/CC.  most of my executive staff is there with me when i show up and stay with me tell i leave.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Pylon

The unit in which I recently took the position of DCC used to meet, during the non-winter times, from 7:00 to 9:30pm on Wednesday nights.  After I became DCC, I shortened the meetings from 7:00pm to 9:00pm.

This is for the cadet portion of the composite squadron.  The seniors meet once a month for about an hour or two on the second Tuesday of each month.

I was a long time member of a unit which has always met from 7 - 9pm each Wednesday night.

Our Group Staff (Seniors) meet once a month for about two hours on the third Thursday of the month.

Lastly, the last of three cadet sqaudrons in our Group meets Tuesday nights from 6:30 to 8:30pm.

As you can see the trend is for an approximately 2 hour meeting on a weekday night for squadrons with cadets, and once a month for a few hours for senior-only meetings.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

c/LTCOLorbust

Our Seniors meet, once a month no set day really but they do.. And the Cadet Command staff can come and test if they want to or get other work done.. Just because we are not able to during meetings. Some of those meetings are a bit more formal then other some its not in Unifrom and most times it is.
1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

footballrun21

My meetings are on Mondays from 1900 to 2100.  We end up showing up at 1830-1845 and usually end up finishing the meeting a little late.  The command staff as does most of the seniors stay till at least 2130.  I hate having the meetings on Mondays, though, because me and a lot of other members activities fall on that day.  We've though of changing it, but I guess it never really went anywhere.
New Jersey Wing

BlackKnight

When I took over as DCC my composite squadron was holding meetings from 1800-2000 every Tuesday.  Seniors and cadets meet on the same night.  Our joint cadet/senior sessions would sometimes take 45 minutes to get the commanders briefing and safety briefings finished.  That left precious little time (75 minutes) for the cadet program agenda and we constantly ran late.

My commander was concerned about getting cadets home in their driveway before 2100 so they would be able to complete their school work.  I showed him the regs requiring 2-1/2 hour meetings and he agreed to extend meetings to 2030.  It works much better now and we rarely run late (although individual cadets often stay later for testing, equipment issue, etc.)  I think joint senior/cadet meetings in composite squadrons always take longer because you have more people, more problems, and more news/training topics to cover.

I know of one cadet squadron that meets on Saturday mornings for 4-5 hours. They produce an unusually high percentage of Spaatz cadets but there's not much opportunity for field training.  :)
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Chris Jacobs

Our squadron has a extra day once a month on Saturday for extra training.  we have our Monday night meetings that last 2 1/2 hours and then one Saturday a month we have a UTA (unit training activity) for about 4 hours.  we accomplish pt testing, often offer written testing and allow them to work on drill.  in Oregon it gets dark early in the winter and it rains none stop so Saturdays are a nice day to get out side and do stuff that is a little unsafe to do in the dark on Monday nights.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Matt

Prior to merge:

Milwaukee ES Squadron (MESS): Mondays; 1900-2200
Mitchell Comp. Squad. 9 (MCS9): Wednesdays; 1845-2130
623rd Comp. Squad. (623rd): Thursdays; 1845-2100

New and IMPROVED - Timmerman Comp. Squadron with above squadrons as flights.
Mondays; 1845-2130
     The boot starts flying at 2145 for rides, staff typically departs around 2200
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

abysmal

Officer's Meeting at 18:30
NCO's Meeting at 18:45
General Meeting 19:00-21:00

Been trying to expand the general meeting by +30 minutes for more than a year with nothing but resistence.
Though we are now on our 3rd Squadron commander in 6 months so anything is possible.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

flyguy06

WHats in the regulations is a suggested meeting format. It doesnt have to be that way. Heck, I know units that dont meet every week. They meet twice a month. Our Squadronmeets for two hours.

Hers a question. How do you gt your leadership there so early?

flyguy06

How do you get teenagers to meet on a Friday night for 3 hours?

Eclipse

My cadets meet from 1930-2130, and I'm thinking or creeping that to 1900-2100 (or 30), it's hard to get everything done in 2 hours.

This probably should be a seperate thread, but I noticed at lease two units indicated their seniors only met once a month.

How can you expect to get anything done once a month?  When I took oiver they were only at twice month and I moved them to weekly and we still can't get all we want accomplished to fit.  That's still only about 8 productive housr a month and we don't take a holiday hiatus.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 09, 2006, 04:27:41 PM

A squadron here in NY has Friday night meetings.  Not only do they have a good number of cadets, but when college kids come back to town for breaks, they're happier going to meetings than hanging out with friends on Friday night.

I stand corrected... they are hanging out with friends on Friday night... ;)

I think it's a combination of

• Making meetings interesting enough to attend, and

• Attracting the kinds of people that generally don't go out every Friday night

(my sq. meets on Wednesday nights)

footballrun21

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 09, 2006, 04:26:24 PM
WHats in the regulations is a suggested meeting format.

Quote from: CAPR 52-16
2-1. UNIT MEETINGS. The local unit normally meets weekly for approximately 2½ hours. The cadet staff, with
senior member guidance, plans the program.

That answer your question?  It's all I could find.
New Jersey Wing

JaL5597

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 09, 2006, 04:27:41 PM

I transfered squadrons since I firest responded here.

My squadron meets for 3 hours on Friday nights (1900-2200).

When my sister visited the squadron she was amazed to see 15 cadets there.  She has a hard time getting 5 cadets to show up on a Thursday night.

I agree with Captain Brodsky.  We seem to have alot of younger cadets so its what they come to expect Fridays are going to be, and there is not an expectation of everyone will be there every single week.  Things come up stuff happens, we will be here so please come back is the general feeling I have gotten.

I guess meeting on an Air National Guard base does help some as well.