Hemming Trousers Is A Pain In The Butt

Started by MIKE, October 09, 2005, 02:11:22 AM

MIKE

It's official:  Hemming trousers per CAPM 39-1 standards is a pain in the butt.  :(

Got some new 1620s last weekend... My old ones were getting a little snug and have always been a bit short since I got them used and pre-hemmed... These were straight hemmed mind you, and already had a false hem on 'em so at the time I had no motivation to screw with 'em.

Anyway... My new ones are long length and one size bigger... Old ones were regular length...  The plain for the new pair was to hem them up so that they are 7/8 of an inch longer in the back and break properly over my shoes as required by CAPM 39-1... Got an old copy of the Guidebook for Marines that explains the trouser hem in a little more detail than CAPM 39-1 and has diagrams so that helped.

You guys may not think this is a big deal... But IMHO it is... Especially when the subject (me) can't stand perfectly straight as my knees are pretty much permanently bent somewhat... Maybe you could address the problem with a tire iron to the knee caps, but I dunno... Because of this we ended up just fitting the trousers so they will fall correctly over my shoes, but we will probably end up with one trouser leg being somewhat longer than the other.

Everything is pinned up and ready to be hemmed... But no actual hemming has taken place as of yet.  I wonder what would have happened had I gone to an actual tailor to get them altered.

Mike Johnston

arajca

Going to a professional alteration shop or tailor can result in a perfect hem.  I used to be a tailor and properly done, they can hem the pants so that they hang properly - even with your knee issue. They may not meet the 7/8" rule, but you'd never know unless you measured it with the pants off - something I don't expect to happen in a unit inspection. ;D

Major_Chuck

I believe that there are somethings left to those who can sew in a straight line.  Hemming pants and sewing on patches fall into that catagory.

Since I can not do either, I recommend the few $$'s to allow a professional to do it.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

SarDragon

I agree. I've been sewing patches since right after I joined CAP, including the premier PITA wing patch from CAWG, and I still send the trous out to get hemmed. Getting thgem properly pinned is really the hard part for a pro job, but the sewing in no real joy either.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret