Academic bowl suggestions??

Started by capchiro, March 25, 2008, 05:22:27 PM

capchiro

Does anyone have a format or suggestions as to how to run an academic bowl on the squadron level?  I am thinking of something we could do each week for 10-15 minutes and have a couple of flights compete against each other.  I am sure a lot of you have done this and I thought I would see what you all had done.  Do you allow your Cadet officers to compete or just NCO's and Airmen??  How do you score?  How do you determine winners?  What kind of awards or recognition do you utilize?  Thanks in advance.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

DC

You could adapt the NCC Panel Quiz event to your level.

CAPM 52-4 Page 24, Section 3-7

LtCol Hooligan

We do the ever famous CAPODY.  You can split the cadets in teams of 3 and draw a Jeopardy board on the white board.  From there, put together flash cards based off of different topics.  Generally we don't worry too much about how hard questions are except for the final CAPODY ones.  Make sure to build a large question bank so you can repeat the process many times over.  Once they hear the questions 2-3 times they will know the answer just based off the question.  Our former SQ/DCC made the questions on index cards and used an index card box.  What was really cool is there was enough of them that when we were traveling somewhere we could use radios (not CAP of course) and quiz from van to van.  It was a blast and there was even some radio training to boot (not using any CAP radios at all  :angel:).
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us