If I Were King (CAP/CC) For A Day . . .

Started by Gunner C, March 23, 2008, 08:30:45 AM

If there was one thing you could change about CAP to make it better, what would that be? (This is a fantasy world, so don't let the "do-able" part dissuade you)

Change the rank structure so rank actually means something (ranking guy is in charge)
Make professional development requirements harder so members are better trained.
Have higher ES training standards.
Enforce strict uniform and grooming standards.
Lower training standards to allow more people to participate.
Get rid of rank - it is getting in the way of doing business.
Get rid of uniforms except for the golf shirts.
Lower ES training standards to include more people.

nesagsar

I never saw a billboard. Also, all the members of my squadron (even the cadets) thought the nascar was a bad idea.

winterg

Just for starters, I know some of these have been mentioned already.

1.     Turn Summer Encampment into a true training experience.  All cadets and officers that join may only wear polo or t-shirt and limited participation until they complete the two week basic held in summer.  Subsequent ones can be like other encampments.  This will set the standards early in a person's CAP career.

2.     All cap units should be based on an AD/Guard/Reserve stations and go to the one weekend per month drill style.

3.     Uniforms should be set up the same as AD AF, not Army (nix the flag) And all unit and wing emblems should be setup iaw the Air Force College of Heraldry.  All Squadron emblems should be on discs and Group/Wings on shields.

4.     All squadrons should be renamed based on charter number and state.  Example Ohio Squadron OH-143 would be the 143rd Ohio Squadron not the Mr. So and So Squadron.  Squadron can keep those names for historical / memorial reasons but lets get professional and on the same page.

5.     Stop handing out Officer ranks to everyone.  With 5 levels of Professional Development a new senior member can begin his CAP career as a SSgt (Staff Sergeant) after they complete their two week basic.  Or we can add some lower levels for initial training and such.  The PD program doesn't have to change, just the ranks associated with it.  Progress would be as follows:

Level 1:  SSgt Staff Sergeant
Level 2:  TSgt Tech Sergeant
Level 3:  MSgt Master Sergeant
Level 4:  SMSgt Senior Master Sergeant
Level 5:  CMSGT Chief Master Sergeant

This may help with how AD views us.  (at least until we open our mouth) ((JK))  Keep the Officer ranks for those who have attended an OCS.  Which brings me to my next point.....

6.     Find a way for CAP to attend the AF Reserve OCS program for those who want to lead in CAP.  If they really want to fulfill the role they will make time for the training.

7.     When it comes to ES it is vital we look like the professionals we are supposed to be.  One of my pet peeves is that everyone goes their own route for ES gear and the overall effect looks like some weird militia.  Standardize ES gear.  Find an affordable orange Tac vest and set up standard gear kits so we look like we are all on the same page.

I'm sure I have some more rattling around up here!

SarDragon

And who is going to pay for all this change?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

winterg

First, If i were King, I'd have a treasury!

In reality, many of the suggestions do not have to be costly.  We already have an encampment, it'd be just a shift in programing.

Changing ranks: stripes are cheaper than epuletes.

Emblems, redesign em and then a phase out period.

As for meetings, I don't know what cost analysis would be.

I don't think anything I suggested sounded too cost prohibitive.  Although I may have to reread my post! ::)

RickFranz

I really like that idea.  I have thought it would be nice just to go back to being a SSgt, but I had wished we could advance to CMSgt.  I guess being a former NCO, I just like the idea of having a "working" class.  Maybe then things would go a little bit better between the AF and CAP.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

winterg

Or even keep the exact same promotion requirements.  We currently have 6 ranks so it might look like this:

Current                  Proposed
2nd Lt.                        SrA
1st Lt.                         SSgt
Capt.                          TSgt
Maj.                            MSgt
Lt. Col.                        SMSgt
Col.                             CMSgt

DeputyDog

Quote from: winterg on April 01, 2008, 11:29:16 PM
5.     Stop handing out Officer ranks to everyone.  With 5 levels of Professional Development a new senior member can begin his CAP career as a SSgt (Staff Sergeant) after they complete their two week basic.  Or we can add some lower levels for initial training and such.  The PD program doesn't have to change, just the ranks associated with it.  Progress would be as follows:

This may help with how AD views us.

That would make me a CMSgt that is 29 years old. I don't think that would improve how the Air Force views us.

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: winterg on April 02, 2008, 05:57:54 AM
Or even keep the exact same promotion requirements.  We currently have 6 ranks so it might look like this:

Current                  Proposed
2nd Lt.                        SrA
1st Lt.                         SSgt
Capt.                          TSgt
Maj.                            MSgt
Lt. Col.                        SMSgt
Col.                             CMSgt

This reminds me of a great life experience:  I was in my CIO's office with a colleague.  The colleague wanted to change his title, with an implied pay raise.  The CIO turned to him and said, "Call yourself whatever the f&^!@#@ you want!  Just get the job done!"  We promptly about-faced and exited his office.

How will changing the labels help or fix anything?  How will this make us look better to the Military?  I will be a TSgt with a MSgt and a SMSmt reporting to him!

stillamarine

Quote from: winterg on April 02, 2008, 03:11:54 AM
First, If i were King, I'd have a treasury!

In reality, many of the suggestions do not have to be costly.  We already have an encampment, it'd be just a shift in programing.

It may not be costly to CAP to change that but it sure the heck would be for the membership.

Many, many seniors never attend an encampment. Some for the sole reason they can't afford to take the time off of work. Plus pay to attend that encampment? It's bad enough I have to take time off for every other PD event needed you now want me to take 2 weeks off for the right to be able to wear a uniform?

And before you think of flaming me, I am that guy that takes off for every single CAP event that I can. I am taking over a week off from work this summer to attend an encampment, unpaid! I'm an exception to the rule, I will do it, but not everyone will.

I think our current structure needs an overhaul but like it's been stated, think of the cost not only to CAP but the people.

Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

flyguy06

If I were CC for a day, I'd develop a stronger relationship withthe USAF and get back to preparing youth for service in the flying military.

winterg

Well, since nobody likes anybodys suggestions, let's just keep doing what we've been doing.  Whatever that is!  :-\

And, Tim, I'd never flame ya for your honest opinion.