If I Were King (CAP/CC) For A Day . . .

Started by Gunner C, March 23, 2008, 08:30:45 AM

If there was one thing you could change about CAP to make it better, what would that be? (This is a fantasy world, so don't let the "do-able" part dissuade you)

Change the rank structure so rank actually means something (ranking guy is in charge)
Make professional development requirements harder so members are better trained.
Have higher ES training standards.
Enforce strict uniform and grooming standards.
Lower training standards to allow more people to participate.
Get rid of rank - it is getting in the way of doing business.
Get rid of uniforms except for the golf shirts.
Lower ES training standards to include more people.

Gunner C

I'd like to see what folks think.  There's no need to post what you think, it can be anonymous.

Thx!

GC

adamblank

If I were the CC for a day...

I think as much as any of those issues in their poll have their positives and negatives, my focus lately has been to keep CAP fun and worthwhile for officers and cadets.  Obviously CAP can't be fun, but there is something fundamentally wrong with business when CAP feels like a job 24/7.  It may not seem like much but it incorporates a lot of issues.  It involves keeping good activities which require good instructors.  It also involves having good training which requires members to train and be trained.  I would try to do my best to thank those working hard for their effort and try to build us more parternships to have fun/rewarding events for officers and cadets.  An example of this might be to increase internships/shadowing opportunities on active duty or reserve/guard bases.  Cadet X might want to be a crew chief.  Lets see if we can get him some face time with a crew chief, or at least in contact with one.  For officers, maybe some more national schools in different specialties.  I think a national logistics school would be very helpful.
Adam Brandao

Gunner C

Quote from: adamblank on March 23, 2008, 08:45:15 AM
If I were the CC for a day...

I think as much as any of those issues in their poll have their positives and negatives, my focus lately has been to keep CAP fun and worthwhile for officers and cadets.  Obviously CAP can't be fun, but there is something fundamentally wrong with business when CAP feels like a job 24/7.  It may not seem like much but it incorporates a lot of issues.  It involves keeping good activities which require good instructors.  It also involves having good training which requires members to train and be trained.  I would try to do my best to thank those working hard for their effort and try to build us more parternships to have fun/rewarding events for officers and cadets.  An example of this might be to increase internships/shadowing opportunities on active duty or reserve/guard bases.  Cadet X might want to be a crew chief.  Lets see if we can get him some face time with a crew chief, or at least in contact with one.  For officers, maybe some more national schools in different specialties.  I think a national logistics school would be very helpful.

That's a good point - fun is a fleeting part of CAP.  As I have progressed, the fun component has become a smaller and smaller part.  It's a shame.

GC

mikeylikey

^ Actually I would forbid all fun.   >:D

Having fun only adds to wanting more of it, and we all need to stop having so much.  In fact, we should box our fun up and send it to places like Iraq and North Korea.  Places where so few have so little fun.  Once you start having fun, its just like smoking CRACK.........you need more and more and will do whatever it takes to get your next fix. 

So kids, don't have fun, and stay in school.
What's up monkeys?

JoeTomasone

I view CAP as a volunteer organization that has a serious mission - and if it can have it's fun, that's great - but  to be honest, I do feel like it should be approached like a job.   The Boy Scouts, for example, HAVE no mission - so darn near everything they do is edu-tainment.   Especially when you consider ES, we are training people to potentially save someone's life.   This aspect to me is sobering and compels a sense of responsibility.

What I think we should be striving for is REWARD - recognition that your contribution is valued.   This, of course, takes many different forms, but I really think that people should be recognized for a job well done a bit more often.   

The Cadet Program, however, is a unique challenge.   Cadets should be motivated to be and stay involved, and part of that is indeed FUN.    Some of our local squadrons address that with fun trips - laser tag type stuff, trips to visit the local AFB, etc.    I personally try to make my interactions with the Cadets as fun as possible while still maintaining military bearings - which I think are important.    The Cadet Program should be rewarding while still imparting the serious nature of what Cadets may be called upon to do.    This, like leadership in general, is an art, not a science.     We should emphasize the unique opportunities of the Cadet Program - when I was a Cadet, I went on an orientation flight in a KC-135 and was in the boom pod next to the operator while we refuled an A-10.   I can still remember thinking, "Man, if I wasn't in CAP, I would *NEVER* have seen THIS!!".     

So make the program fun and rewarding when possible - but remember that we do have serious missions that require sober commitment.

JC004

When my coup is victorious (sometime after Brig Gen Courter leaves, because she is good), I will do what I always try to do with non-profits - make it easy, make it simple, and make it matter.  People volunteer their time among other obligations, and they want to make a difference.  So, we simply empower the people in the field to do their work and make it matter for them. 

Whether that means communicating clearly to the field, reducing complexities where they need not exist, making sure the wings serve downward rather than upward, etc., those things should be the key to making the organization work and retaining its membership.

RiverAux

I'm surprised that ES training standards is so high given that we rarely have much discussion about that.  I think it may be because you added "make ranking guy in charge" to the top one.  That is a separate issue from the "make rank meaningful" argument that we have a lot.

mikeylikey

I think one of the poll options should have been "fire everyone, and re-hire the best and brightest" to fill Corporate positions.
What's up monkeys?

IceNine

honestly especially if it was only for a day, I'd contract as many IT professionals as I could pay for to come in and make EVERYTHING possible paperless.  Digital applications for

everything from Recommendation for decorations (all the way up to SMV) down to cadet community service tracking

and then I go back fat dumb and happy and make some real headway
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Gunner C

We've had 43 folks vote so far.  I'd like to see a bigger sample.  Thanks for playing:  we'll be sending you a copy of our home game . . .  ;D

mamadinos

Since we're not talking "do-able", how about the 6-figure paycheck that everyone in CAP deserves? ;D
Michelle King, 1Lt, CAP
DCS, DO, SPO, ESO
Barksdale Comp. Sq.
SWR-LA 005

RickFranz

King for a day...  Figure out some way to get each Squadron a building.  Make sure they are funded and well supplied.  Then the units could spend their time growing and not worrying about "How are we going to pay for this???"

I heard along time ago, "If you take care of your people, your people will take care of you."
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Pylon

Some loaded options there, don't ya think?

If I were CAP/CC for a day, I'd implement my Vision 2008 plan.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RickFranz

Quote from: Pylon on March 24, 2008, 01:48:23 AM
Some loaded options there, don't ya think?

If I were CAP/CC for a day, I'd implement my Vision 2008 plan.
That is quite a plan.  In reading it over, it looks like someone has been reading it and putting some of your ideas in place.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Gunner C

Interesting - 273 people have looked at this and only 59 have voted.  C'mon folks.  >:D

Eagle400

Hmmm... I've been waiting for a thread like this to come about...

If I were National Commander (which will probably never happen), I would do the following:

• Beef up officer professional development tenfold and make it as much like USAF PME as possible

• Establish a national (not just Iowa) Officer Training School for all senior members without grade

• Prohibit any name changes to the organization

• Establish a CAP equivalent to the USAF ASBC

• Allow officers to attend USAF SOS in lieu of CLC

• Put more emphasis on the people and less emphasis on the corporation

• Request more AF (CAP-USAF) oversight from Congress

• Encourage more interation with the Air National Guard

• Establish a partnership between the National Guard Bureau and CAP

• Establish physical fitness standards for all Ground Team personnel

• Limit participation of members who do not follow uniform regs

• Allow wear of the CAP polo shirt uniform for recruiting and certain MWR activities only

• Mandate input from CAP-USAF State Directors regarding all membership termination boards

• Require the CAP/IG to report directly to CAP-USAF/CC

• Have at least one AF officer and AF NCO on the CAP Uniform Board

• Make CAPM 39-1 an attachment to AFI 36-2903

• Prevent uniform changes that contradict AFI 36-2903 (i.e. reverse American flag patch on BDU)

• Abolish the dark blue CAP Jumpsuit; it is a wannabe flightsuit and looks like a Halloween costume

• Make the CAP Uniform Board digital, allowing members to make recommendations without having to go through the chain of command

• Make all specialty badges completely metal; no more cartoony-looking badges

• Make all aeronautical badges mandatory

• Create a Manuals, Pamphlets and Regulations Board to make all changes that are necessary

• Mandate AF Heraldry guidelines be followed for all patches at all levels of command

• Mandate all CAP ribbon and medal designs be approved by the AF Institute of Heraldry

• Remove the reverse American flag patch from the BDU and prevent it from being worn again unless the AF mandates it

That's about it.

lordmonar

None of the options is what I would do as king for a day.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Gunner C

Quote from: CCSE on March 24, 2008, 05:06:04 AM
Hmmm... I've been waiting for a thread like this to come about...

If I were National Commander (which will probably never happen), I would do the following:

• Beef up officer professional development tenfold and make it as much like USAF PME as possible

• Establish a national (not just Iowa) Officer Training School for all senior members without grade

• Prohibit any name changes to the organization

• Establish a CAP equivalent to the USAF ASBC

• Allow officers to attend USAF SOS in lieu of CLC

• Put more emphasis on the people and less emphasis on the corporation

• Request more AF (CAP-USAF) oversight from Congress

• Encourage more interation with the Air National Guard

• Establish a partnership between the National Guard Bureau and CAP

• Establish physical fitness standards for all Ground Team personnel

• Limit participation of members who do not follow uniform regs

• Allow wear of the CAP polo shirt uniform for recruiting and certain MWR activities only

• Mandate input from CAP-USAF State Directors regarding all membership termination boards

• Require the CAP/IG to report directly to CAP-USAF/CC

• Have at least one AF officer and AF NCO on the CAP Uniform Board

• Make CAPM 39-1 an attachment to AFI 36-2903

• Prevent uniform changes that contradict AFI 36-2903 (i.e. reverse American flag patch on BDU)

• Abolish the dark blue CAP Jumpsuit; it is a wannabe flightsuit and looks like a Halloween costume

• Make the CAP Uniform Board digital, allowing members to make recommendations without having to go through the chain of command

• Make all specialty badges completely metal; no more cartoony-looking badges

• Make all aeronautical badges mandatory

• Create a Manuals, Pamphlets and Regulations Board to make all changes that are necessary

• Mandate AF Heraldry guidelines be followed for all patches at all levels of command

• Mandate all CAP ribbon and medal designs be approved by the AF Institute of Heraldry

• Remove the reverse American flag patch from the BDU and prevent it from being worn again unless the AF mandates it

That's about it.

Heck, is that all?  Close up shop - we've got it all!  ;D It's Miller time!   ;)

isuhawkeye

dont worry about Iowa.  It is my understanding that the ots no longer exists

davedove

All of these are interesting ideas, but they are really details.

What really needs to be done is for senior leadership to formulate a comprehensive plan on how CAP is to respond to current and future demands. 
Before it can be decided what training is appropriate, or even what uniforms we need, this must be determined.

It seems everyone has some idea of how to answer this, but it is the job of our senior leaders to formulate this vision and provide it to everyone else.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003