Discrepancy Between CAPR 52-16 and CAPR 39-3 Re: CAC Ribbon/Shoulder Cord Wear

Started by Eagle400, March 12, 2008, 10:52:19 PM

Eagle400

Okay, here's something that no one can say I'm getting "wrapped around the axle" about.

I noticed that there is a discrepancy between the 52-16 and 39-3 when it comes to the wear of the CAC ribbon, bronze star attachment, and shoulder cord. 

Highlighted are the areas where there is a discrepancy: 

Both the 52-16 and the 39-3 authorize the red shoulder cord for wear by wing CAC reps, but they each say something different about the ribbon and the bronze star attachment.

CAPR 39-3 says that the basic ribbon is only authorized for wing CAC reps; there is nothing authorizing squadron reps to wear it or the green shoulder cord.

However, CAPR 52-16 says that wing CAC reps wear the ribbon with the bronze star attachment.  In addition, it also says that squadron reps may wear the basic ribbon in addition to the green shoulder cord.

I plan on becoming an officer soon and would like to know whether or not I will be authorized to wear the bronze star attachment with my CAC ribbon; I was on wing CAC when I was a cadet.         

MIKE

Mike Johnston

SarDragon

You also need to host your images somewhere else besides Photobucket. They discourage external linking, so you end up with funky little reminder images that an image is not available.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eagle400

Quote from: SarDragon on March 12, 2008, 11:03:22 PM
You also need to host your images somewhere else besides Photobucket. They discourage external linking, so you end up with funky little reminder images that an image is not available.

That might explain the little "Image Not Available" icons on Vanguard's website. 

But seriously, why would an image hosting site designed so that people can upload their photos and images onto the web not allow external linking?

SarDragon

So you tell people to go directly to Photobucket to see the pix. Then they get to see all the ads that support the site. Marketing 99.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cecil DP

Quote from: CCSE on March 12, 2008, 10:52:19 PMI plan on becoming an officer soon and would like to know whether or not I will be authorized to wear the bronze star attachment with my CAC ribbon; I was on wing CAC when I was a cadet.

Easy

Since you're a senior, you don't wear the CAC ribbon.

Cleaned up quote - MIKE
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Eagle400

Quote from: Cecil DP on March 13, 2008, 02:48:26 AMEasy

Actually, I'm not a senior (yet) and the National Board approved a proposal to allow cadets to wear the CAC ribbon provided it was awarded during time as a cadet.

I was a cadet on wing CAC so I would fall into that category.

Eagle400

LR25AV8Tor

The issue depends on if there is a group level CAC in your wing.  The Ribbon and star  is awarded for service on the Wing CAC.  If, as in my case WIWAC, I was the group CAC Chair, which made me the primary rep to wing.  I wore the red cord during my term and earned the ribbon and star.  All the squadron reps to group were only awarded the basic ribbon.  Now in my current wing, there is no Group CAC structure, so all squadron reps meet at the wing level so they get the red cord, and after 1 year get the ribbon and star.  And yes, there was an ICL stating that those who earned the CAC ribbon as a cadet can now wear it as a senior (or officer. or  whatever we're calling ourselves this week)

CAPOfficer

Quote from: CCSE on March 13, 2008, 03:00:01 AM
Quote from: Cecil DP on March 13, 2008, 02:48:26 AMEasy

Actually, I'm not a senior (yet) and the National Board approved a proposal to allow cadets to wear the CAC ribbon provided it was awarded during time as a cadet.

I was a cadet on wing CAC so I would fall into that category.

Okay, now I am a little confused.  Since the CAC ribbon isn't awarded to seniors, why would the National Board differentiate or specify anything about "awarded during time as a cadet"?

Also, please refresh my memory as to which National Board (month/year) approved senior's to wear this ribbon, thanks.

If it's been approved, okay, but I just don't recall seeing it posted.

MIKE

Quote from: 25 Jan 08 CAP/CC Letter, Change to CAPM 39-1d. Cadet Advisory Council Ribbon. Effective 10 July 2007, the wear policy for
the Cadet Advisory Council Ribbon was changed to allow senior members who earned
this ribbon as a cadet to continue wearing the ribbon.
Mike Johnston

ThorntonOL

Yep and checked my records and I was rep after they changed the regs back in 2003. (actually that fall is when I became Rep to group.)
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

davidsinn

Got an even more confusing one for you. I have a cadet that was appointed from my unit to be on the wing CAC last year. They have now switched to group level CAC. Should she get to wear the wing ribbon(one year service at that level) but the green group cord since that is were she serves now?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Pylon

Quote from: davidsinn on June 22, 2008, 06:53:58 PM
Got an even more confusing one for you. I have a cadet that was appointed from my unit to be on the wing CAC last year. They have now switched to group level CAC. Should she get to wear the wing ribbon(one year service at that level) but the green group cord since that is were she serves now?

Not confusing at all.

CAC Ribbon represents past service.  Wear the highest level earned.  If she has a CAPF 2A authorizing her the CAC ribbon with device for Wing level, yes, she may wear it.

The shoulder cord represents current service only.  Wear the level commensurate with the position they are currently sitting in.

For your example, with proper documentation, she would wear the CAC ribbon with bronze star (representing Wing level service) and the green shoulder cord for CAC at Group level.  She will not earn an additional award of the CAC ribbon, unless she eventually serves at Region or NCAC, since only the highest level service is worn.  Multiple devices are not worn.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

davidsinn

Who cuts the 2A for the ribbon us or wing? The CAC didn't meet for nearly 8 months. So she was technically assigned but it was defunct.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Pylon

Since award of ribbons are covered by CAPR 39-3, one would look there.  The CAC ribbon falls under activity and service ribbons.  Section F , Paragraph 18 is entitled "Authority to Award Activity and Service Ribbons".  See sub-paragraph b.

You can cut the appropriate the CAPF 2A and push it up the chain to that level for approval.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

davidsinn

Thanks, Cadets are not my department but since that side of the house is in flux right now I thought I'd help that cadet out since she's a good friend of mine.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn