AFIADL Credit from Cadet to SM

Started by Matt, August 29, 2005, 01:23:59 PM

Matt

Ah, another good thing of the Mitchell, unfortunately, some of the AFIADL course don't transfer to seniorhood   :'(
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Mac

Quote from: Matt on August 29, 2005, 01:23:59 PM
Ah, another good thing of the Mitchell, unfortunately, some of the AFIADL course don't transfer to seniorhood   :'(

Which ones don't transfer to senirohood??? As far as in know, if you have completed and AFIADL course and have the little card they send out, you have proof that you have completed it. The course should not be done again simply because you transfered to senior status.
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Pace

Everything on my membership record transfered.  Nothing (NCSAs, encampments, milestones, AFIADL-13, CPPT) got taken off.  The only time I see data being lost is if you allow a gap in your membership between cadet and senior.
Lt Col, CAP

Matt

really, I heard that the ECI 13 (AFIADL req'd for Cpt.) doesn't transfer over, no one has really known why, but that was what I was told, same with SLS' and CLCs.

Pace

Quote from: Matt on August 29, 2005, 02:23:58 PM
I heard that the ECI 13 (AFIADL req'd for Cpt.) doesn't transfer over
Oh trust me, it transfers.  I would have been royally pissed off if I had to take that test again.  Just for clarification, AFIADL used to be called ECI.  It's simply AFIADL now.  For SMs, it's required for completion of Level II, which combined with time in grade as a first lieutenant gets you Captain (Capt).

Quote from: Matt on August 29, 2005, 02:23:58 PM
same with SLS' and CLCs
Cadets can't get credit for SLS or CLC.  You can attend as a cadet, but you would have to go back as a senior member for credit towards SM professional development.

The only reason I took AFIADL-13, other than I knew I would need it when I turned SM, was because I couldn't attend COS or an RCLS before I turned 21 so I needed it to get Eaker.
Lt Col, CAP

Matt

ah, alright, excellent, you have just made my day a smidge better.  That kinda is equal to my 64oz coffee mug next to me  ;D.  I'd still like to manage to somehow have SLS' and CLC's transfer, even attending as a cadet, you still learn a great deal and a smidge about what really happens within CAP.  I'm aiming to goto our next SLS provided my CC is A-OK with it, or at least a B-OK  ;).

Mac

Quote from: Matt on August 29, 2005, 03:25:53 PM
ah, alright, excellent, you have just made my day a smidge better.  That kinda is equal to my 64oz coffee mug next to me  ;D.  I'd still like to manage to somehow have SLS' and CLC's transfer, even attending as a cadet, you still learn a great deal and a smidge about what really happens within CAP.  I'm aiming to goto our next SLS provided my CC is A-OK with it, or at least a B-OK  ;).

Well the reason it does not cross over if you attend SLS or CLC as a cadet is because of the prerequisites for the course can't be obtained by a cadet. for example:
Quote from: CAPR 50-174-6. Squadron Leadership School (SLS). The Squadron Leadership School (SLS) is designed to (1) enhance a senior member's performance at the squadron level and (2) to increase understanding of the basic function of a squadron and how to improve squadron operations. Prerequisites for attendance are completion of Level I and enrollment in one or more specialty tracks.
Now if we could just figure out how to get cadets through Level 1 and enrolled in a specialty track they would be set. of course if you really look in 50-17 you will find a funny reference in Paragraph 2-7 that reads as follows:
Quote from: CAPR 50-172-7. Qualification Criteria and Application Procedures for Senior Member Professional Development Activities. a. CAP National Headquarters and CAP regions and wings annually sponsor a variety of schools and activities designed to increase the proficiency of senior members. The Civil Air Patrol News announces general information pertaining to schools and activities. Other information reaches members via the radio net (see CAPR 100-1, Vol I, Communications), CAP web pages, and newsletters. The Professional Development Program is designed to prepare senior members for immediate duty. Therefore, while cadets in good standing who meet the prerequisites may attend a professional development activity, space permitting, they will not receive credit for attendance as a senior member.
So how exactly is a cadet suppose to meet the prerequisites for SLS??? CLC is easy there are no specific prerequisites other then it says that "After completing the Squadron Leadership School and learning about squadron operations, senior members should attend the Corporate Learning Course (CLC)." so what is an aspiring cadet to do  ???
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Matt

Can an admin please move the second half of the thread to a Prof. Development topic please.

SarDragon

These are Senior Member training items. They are NOT intended as a part of the cadet program. A significant amount of the information presented in SLS and CLC is of little functional use to cadets in their day-to-day participation. Yes, it might be nice-to-know, but it is certainly not essential training for cadets.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Matt

Perhaps you are correct in the sense that they are not real pertainant to most cadets.  However, for elder cadets who are in the age range for SM transition or have been in long enough that they may have responsibilities perhaps outside of merely the cadet program, then they serve functional use to cadets.  Now should cadets who are 13 and 14 attend - no.  Should those who are old enough to understand some more of the depth of CAP, they're probably beneficial to have, even if no credit is directly served for them.

Major_Chuck

Quote from: Matt on August 29, 2005, 09:30:02 PM
Perhaps you are correct in the sense that they are not real pertainant to most cadets.  However, for elder cadets who are in the age range for SM transition or have been in long enough that they may have responsibilities perhaps outside of merely the cadet program, then they serve functional use to cadets.  Now should cadets who are 13 and 14 attend - no.  Should those who are old enough to understand some more of the depth of CAP, they're probably beneficial to have, even if no credit is directly served for them.

Then could a Senior Member who is just past their 18th Birthday test for the Spaatz?

While the two courses may be beneficial to a rising cadet, they are clearly designed as part of the Senior Member Training Program. 

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Matt

Quote from: Matt on August 29, 2005, 09:30:02 PMHowever, for elder cadets who are in the age range for SM transition or have been in long enough that they may have responsibilities perhaps outside of merely the cadet program, then they serve functional use to cadets.

Correct, they are part of the SM training program, hence why they are not required of cadets.   But for those aiming to Seniorhood, they're useful.  As for the Spaatz Exam, with all due respect, it's looking like you're aiming towards apples and oranges....

Major_Chuck

Quote from: Matt on August 30, 2005, 01:15:54 PM
Quote from: Matt on August 29, 2005, 09:30:02 PMHowever, for elder cadets who are in the age range for SM transition or have been in long enough that they may have responsibilities perhaps outside of merely the cadet program, then they serve functional use to cadets.

Correct, they are part of the SM training program, hence why they are not required of cadets.   But for those aiming to Seniorhood, they're useful.  As for the Spaatz Exam, with all due respect, it's looking like you're aiming towards apples and oranges....

Exactly!  Two different programs, two different target audiences.  Useful yes, informative yes part of the Cadet Program, no.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Matt

Matt

Wow, I have to say, there should be something similar to SLS for cadets.  It's like encampment, but more civilized.

Surprisingly, there is some fundemental things that I think cadets should learn in general, but don't know because they aren't directly presented an opportunity to goto things such as SLS' and CLCs.

Such items include:

RETENTION and recruiting (such as we lose 75% of members we recruit within 3 years!).

CPPT (not just for cadets over 18, but a general education in it to avoid hassle and ignorance of the program).

The Organization of CAP, how the Chain-of-command and the liason structure interface and how we help the USAF and how they help us.

capchiro

As an aside, since it appears that this is of interest mostly to cadets that are getting to the senior side, one may transistion and become a senior member at 18 and then get full credit for the senior stuff, SLS, CLC, etc., plus with the flight officer grades, it is the easiest way to become a captain about the time one turns 21 years old.  Just a thought.....
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Matt

I concur, it is an easier way to make Capt., and be able to have the blocks filled in, but I think being a cadet, even though there are times when it's a pain, is still more fun - by far.