Main Menu

17 year olds.

Started by westover, January 05, 2008, 01:25:29 AM

mikeylikey

^ I can only relate to AROTC programs as that is what I work for currently.  In my Battalion, Sophomores are given leadership roles in the Cadet Companies.  They are also evaluated on a continual basis.  The leadership course was designed by Harvard a few years back, and the books were designed by top business leaders and a few Officers from the Army War College.   

I have a friend working at the AFROTC DET across the campus park from me.  I have seen that their first two years are nothing short of classes on air/space/careers.  They are considered "nothings" until they get back from summer camp and contract.  Then the Leadership instruction begins. 

Now in Army, a Junior's leadership training takes a back seat to learning battle drills and how to fight in their preparation for "Camp". 
What's up monkeys?

floridacyclist

In our squadron (which is not new) we do not actively recruit older teens simply because we can spend our limited time and resources better elsewhere on younger prospects. Many older teenages have already developed other interests and may often not take too well to being ordered around by a younger cadet. We would rather catch them young and let them grow into the program as they grow into adulthood.

That said, if I had a new squadron and needed older teens that could quickly transition into leadership roles, I would be looking harder for them. At the same time, we do not turn anyone down based on age and I will target specific youths on a case-by-case basis. For example, the young lady I referred to a neighboring squadron who is 17 years old with 3 years of JROTC and a deep love of the military will probably make a fine cadet if she joins as she has a year and a half and is A) eligible for accelerated promotions, and B) is mature enough to recognize the need to follow orders from 13 and 14yos until she works her way past the first phase or two..
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org