Main Menu

C&C question

Started by RogueLeader, January 04, 2008, 05:52:34 PM

RogueLeader

If you, say a CAP O-2, are walking together with a Mil E-3- both in uniform on base- would only I have to salute O-3+, or would the E-3 have to salute all above her as well?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Falshrmjgr

The E3 would have to salute.  You *should* salute.
Jaeger

"Some say there are only wolves, sheep, and sheepdogs in the world.  They forget the feral sheep."

RogueLeader

I know I would have to salute, according to C&C, but only to Capt+, would she have to salute E-4 to O-2 as well?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LtCol White

generally the only time one salutes for all is in a formation as if marching a flight.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

LtCol White

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 04, 2008, 06:03:02 PM
I know I would have to salute, according to C&C, but only to Capt+, would she have to salute E-4 to O-2 as well?

Salute is rendered to the highest person present
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

shorning

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 04, 2008, 06:03:02 PM

Generally she wouldn't salute other enlisted folks.  She would be expected to salute everyone O-1 through O-10.  Your grade and status (i.e. CAP member) have no bearing on the situation.  But every enlisted person should receive that training when they enter the service.

RogueLeader

Wouldn't it look odd for an enlisted person to salute a 2nd Lt, in the company of a 1st?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

shorning

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 04, 2008, 06:17:10 PM
Wouldn't it look odd for an enlisted person to salute a 2nd Lt, in the company of a 1st?

Why?  You're not in formation.  The 2nd Lt is going to salute the 1st Lt.  The enlisted person is required to salute the officer.

mikeylikey

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 04, 2008, 05:52:34 PM
If you, say a CAP O-2, are walking together with a Mil E-3- both in uniform on base- would only I have to salute O-3+, or would the E-3 have to salute all above her as well?

If someone salutes you, say a 2LT (2nd Lt) and the E-3 is with you, when you go to return your salute she should also salaute. 
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

When in doubt, whip it out.
Serving since 1987.

JAFO78

JAFO

ddelaney103

The only two times someone would be able to salute for someone else are:

In formation: formation leader salutes for all.

Work detail: detail leader salutes for all - workers may or may not be brought to attention.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: shorning on January 04, 2008, 06:24:38 PM

Why?  You're not in formation.  The 2nd Lt is going to salute the 1st Lt.  The enlisted person is required to salute the officer.

Look at that situation from another view.

E-3 is walking with an O-3 (Both RM).  O-2 Approaches the two of them.  The O-2 is going to salute the O-3.  The Enlisted guy isn't going to salute the O-2 because he is with the O-3 - in formation or not.

So he's translating that to CAP.  If the RM E-3 guy is walking around with a CAP "O-3" and a RM O-2 approaches...

To me, if the O-2 decides (assuming he recognized that the individual is a CAPer) or just salutes out of habit then they probably wouldn't say anything to the E-3 that didn't salute.

I think us CAPers make way more out of this saluting business than there needs to be.  We seem to look for exact protocol for every single situation that may occur rather than just taking the intent and working with it...just a thought.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Flying Pig

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 04, 2008, 07:19:26 PM

E-3 is walking with an O-3 (Both RM).  O-2 Approaches the two of them.  The O-2 is going to salute the O-3.  The Enlisted guy isn't going to salute the O-2 because he is with the O-3 - in formation or not.

So he's translating that to CAP.  If the RM E-3 guy is walking around with a CAP "O-3" and a RM O-2 approaches...

To me, if the O-2 decides (assuming he recognized that the individual is a CAPer) or just salutes out of habit then they probably wouldn't say anything to the E-3 that didn't salute.

I think us CAPers make way more out of this saluting business than there needs to be.  We seem to look for exact protocol for every single situation that may occur rather than just taking the intent and working with it...just a thought.

^Thats it. The saluting protocol isnt really as complicated as we make it.  When I was active duty, if a herd of us enlisted guys passed an officer, we all just went ahead and saluted.  If I was in CAP uniform, and walking with an military enlisted, my rank as  CAP officer shouldnt have any bearing on what the enlised person does.  Thats military to military, putting a CAP officer in the mix has no bearing on the enlisted guy.

Short Field

LMAO.  If the E-3 was a real professional, he would have initiated the salute with the O-2 before the O-2 initiated the salute with the O-3.  The E-3 would hold the salute until the O-3 returns the O-2's salute and the O-2 drops his salute.  A CMSgt would make it look natural everytime.

I learned this routine while walking next to the 0-9 as a O-2 and approaching a O-6.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

afgeo4

Everyone salutes each other, greets, and goes on their merry way cuz there's work to do. The military isn't a circus. They don't get paid to throw their hands around all day. You do what you're supposed to as quickly and painlessly as possible and you go on with your life.

I wish all CAP people took that to heart, really.
GEORGE LURYE

shorning

E-3 is walking with an O-3 (Both RM).  O-2 Approaches the two of them.  The O-2 is going to salute the O-3.  The Enlisted guy isn't going to salute the O-2 because he is with the O-3 - in formation or not.

That's the problem.  The officer doesn't salute for the enlisted person in this situation.  There are two separate issues here:  a) enlisted person saluting an officer, 2) a junior CGO saluting a more senior CGO.  So each person salutes on their own.    It's really simple and in CAP we tend to overthink the problem.

afgeo4

Quote from: shorning on January 05, 2008, 08:50:39 AM

E-3 is walking with an O-3 (Both RM).  O-2 Approaches the two of them.  The O-2 is going to salute the O-3.  The Enlisted guy isn't going to salute the O-2 because he is with the O-3 - in formation or not.

That's the problem.  The officer doesn't salute for the enlisted person in this situation.  There are two separate issues here:  a) enlisted person saluting an officer, 2) a junior CGO saluting a more senior CGO.  So each person salutes on their own.    It's really simple and in CAP we tend to overthink the problem.

Not really a problem because saluting isn't a one way thing. Everyone salutes each other. The salutes would be initiated by the enlisted, but returned by everyone above. If you do it fast enough as it is done in the real world, no one can tell who was first or last and no one would really care. Respect was shown by all and all go about their business.
GEORGE LURYE

shorning

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 05, 2008, 08:55:42 AM
Quote from: shorning on January 05, 2008, 08:50:39 AM

Not really a problem because saluting isn't a one way thing. Everyone salutes each other. The salutes would be initiated by the enlisted, but returned by everyone above. If you do it fast enough as it is done in the real world, no one can tell who was first or last and no one would really care. Respect was shown by all and all go about their business.

Which is what I've been saying.  Like I said:

Quote from: shorning on January 05, 2008, 08:50:39 AMIt's really simple and in CAP we tend to overthink the problem.