Ad in print
1 (0.9%)
Movie
0 (0%)
Other
44 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 108

RogueLeader

The WV/CV got me involved in CAP, who got you?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

IceNine

I got involved by making fun of those goofy kids in cammies, walking in the parade.  One of them heard me, walked over handed me a brochure and asked me to come out.

And 10 years later here I am...  (stupid guy with brochure's)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

drcomm

When I joined as a cadet in 1978 a friend who was in a high school JROTC program with a CAP member told me about it.  I joined shortly after and was a member for about 7 years during that stint.  I rejoined in 2005 when my son came home from 7th grade one day and told me there was a CAP group visiting the school recruiting new members.  He said he wanted to join but would only join if I did also.  The rest is history.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

Flying Pig

My dad was the unit chaplain.  I started going when I was 10.

bosshawk

I knew about CAP: the local Sq met on the airfield where I kept my airplane.  It took a guy whom I flew with in the Flying Doctors to urge me to come to a meeting.  The rest, as they say, is history.  I am about to renew for the 16th time.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Stonewall

2 really good friends of mine since I was like 6 were on the school bus with me after school and I heard them having a quiet, private conversation.  I listen in and I hear something about "flanks and collumns".  Come to find out, they had been in CAP almost 4 or 5 months and didn't tell me.  They knew I was gung-ho and in to the military and hated scouts, but not as much as I hated Sea Cadets.

Anyway, I talk them into giving me a number and it was all over.  Here I am 20 years later.

Nope, no google search for me.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Stationed with my folks at Fort Indiantown GAP, PA.  In 1993 I saw a bunch of CAP Cadets walking around the post (Encampment), and a crusty old Lt Col approached and gave me the talk.  Later that month I joined  a unit about 3 miles away.  Been in since.  Moved around a bit though.

What's up monkeys?

PhoenixRisen

I was at a local airshow and saw some kids my age in uniforms.  I thought to myself, that's awesome (I was 12 at the time)!  I found their booth at the airshow, got a brochure, and a few months later, I joined.  Membership went through on 31OCT04.  I've been in the same squadron ever since.

Major Carrales

I had found an old Texas Wing patch and CIVIL AIR PATROL tape in high school.  No one know anything about it.  I used Worldbook to do a story on it (it has a real short article) and some National Geographic magazine that was in our School library's "verticle file."

In college I found the old patches, looked it up on line.  E-mailed the Brownsville Squadron Commander and the rest is history.

P.S. the first uniform I owned, contrary to popular impression, was a set of BDUs (the same pair I have today)  My great uncle then gifted me with two service caps (company and field grade), he then passed away about a year later.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Cobra1597

Two cadets did an announcement on the junior high PA system, and as each word went by I perked more an more up.

"rocketry", "flying", search and rescue", "leadership", "teamwork", etc.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

♠SARKID♠

A friend asked me to go to a meeting with him, he wasn't a member.  Like most, I had never heard of CAP until I got there, and honestly didn't know what I had joined for a month or two in.  I was just entranced by uniforms and shiny shiny rank insignia.  We both joined, he has since quit and moved to Vegas, and here I am 4 years later.

Walkman

There was an article in the local paper about the cadet Color Guard winning Regional. My oldest son wants to be an AF pilot, so we rushed over to the first meeting for him, only to find there was something for me, too!

wuzafuzz

I joined twice.  The first time, about 1986, a pilot friend invited me to a meeting.  I stuck around for two years but didn't accomplish much because shift work prevented me from participating in all the scheduled training.

From time to time I moved to new homes.  Each time I packed and moved my old CAP green pickle suit for some silly reason.  (Still think the CAWG patch is a really nice design.)  Each time I thought about getting involved again. 

Fast forward to 2007. An article in Popular Communications or Monitoring Times discussed the big changes to CAP radio systems.  Being an amateur radio operator I was intrigued.  A quick Internet search showed a squadron in my backyard.  My 14 year old son and I showed up, signed up, and dove in head first.  Both of us are having a blast!
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

James Shaw

Next door neighbor was a CAP member and introduced me when I was old enough to join. Stayed in as a Cadet until I went to High School. Rejoined as SM while on Actide Duty in Japan. Alot of TAD assignments and I got out. Rejoined in 2000 for 3rd time as a suggestion from my wife. Sold my Martial Arts DOJO and my wife said I was around the house to much. Have greatly enjoyed it ever since.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

FW

I saw a PSA on TV with Brig Gen Jimmy Stewart speaking on the benefits of the cadet program of CAP.  I wrote to NHQ and was answered by the local Sq/CC.  I was invited over for the next "basic class" orientation.  I joined and, 40 years later, still enjoy my decision.

MajorChuck

I was "recruited' thru an actual mission.Myself and 2 other hams were working with the salvation army SATERN group running a canteen feeding CAP Members at mission base.They were having trouble getting comm up so We pitched in and got it up and running .as We were leaving, a Major with apps in hand talked Us into joining. almost 10 Years later, all 3 of Us former Wing DC's 1 isnt a member and the other is My Unit Comm officer
Maj.Chuck Cook
Commander
Blue Water Composite Squadron GLR-MI-011
GLR/DCS

mprokosch11

I was interested in joining some military oriented program for a while, unfortunately my school didn't offer JROTC. So my parents called a local military recruiter and he suggested CAP, and told us the nearest one which was 3 miles away from my house and right next to the school I went to. I still can't figure out why I never noticed it before.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

ColonelJack

A fellow by the name of Pete Norris got me into CAP.  He was CC of the local squadron and on my town's police force at the time.  I knew him through my broadcasting duties and he knew I'd been in the Air Force.  He invited me to a meeting of the local unit and I was hooked.

Pete later worked his way up to being SER director of cadet programs before going back to work in ALWG.  He's a great guy.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ZigZag911

I was taking flying lessons as a teenager....ran out of money....figured, "Why don't I join CAP and learn there for free?"   Looked in phone book, found local squadron....the rest is history, mostly on the ground....

HAH!

Still, I must say I've enjoyed these past several decades, met some terrific people, had some awesome experiences.....looking forward to more!

And who knows, maybe I'll learn to fly yet!

rross8085

My son was interested in flying and his aunt in AK mentioned her sons friend had just returned from Washington DC where he toured the Pentagon and received a challenge coin from a General he met with. We looked for a unit nearby and he joined. Since he wasn't old enough to drive I went to all the meetings and activities. figured I may as well join. Now the Wing DC/II director.