crew resource management

Started by isuhawkeye, November 13, 2007, 07:08:02 PM

isuhawkeye

I am in the process of implimenting CRM into a presentation for my private secotr employer.  I would be interested in seeing/learning about Crew resource management trainign and programs. 

Help!!!

jimmydeanno

This is the CAP CRM powerpoint slide: http://level2.cap.gov/documents/CAP_CRM_Presentation.PPT

Probably a good place to start.  Hope it helps.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SJFedor

My ER (Level I Trauma Center) uses CRM with our trauma resuscitations in a modified program. A company called "Lifewings" does the program.

A lot of other medical centers across the country use it as well, which is rather interesting, since CRM started as an aviation thing, and has worked into the hospital. The training is really good, and the stats on their main page really are true, it really does save lives.

http://www.saferpatients.com/

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

isuhawkeye

Im putting together a program for the ambulance industry.  I hope it has the same affect.

flyguy06

Idont know who made those thoses slides, and my CFI ticketis still wet but the classes are still fresh in my mind. From what I saw on those slides it looked more like Aeronautical Descion making and risk management than it did CRM.

CRM from what I understand is using all your available resources to includ ATC, FSS, automated weather broadcast, other pilots in the area and equipment aboard your aircraft.

On slide #13 it talks about CRM for sigle engine pilots. It should be CRM for single pilot operations. You fly a single engine airplane and still have mutli crew. I got what they were trying to say but I think it was worded improperyl.

Again, I am a new CFI so I am not saying I am an expert but the info is stil freshin my head. But please corect me as I know some of you will if Iam wrong onthis

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: isuhawkeye on November 14, 2007, 02:14:00 AM
Im putting together a program for the ambulance industry.  I hope it has the same affect.

I'd be quite interested in reading this when it's done. I've been touching on the CRM concept while teaching paramedic students.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

flynd94

As a former freight pilot (single pilot) and, now a airline pilot all you need to know is this:

1.  Gear up, shut up
2.  Close your eyes, what do you see, now open them, everything you saw with them closed is yours, the rest is mine
3.  Touch anything in this cockpit and, all you will have left is a bloody stump, where your hand used to be

Just joking, CRM is great.   I wish we could/did utilize it more in CAP.  The one major drawback is the time it takes to train everyone.  Also, we in CAP don't do a good job of training to a standard and, that is imperative in CRM.

Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

ricecakecm

An old crusty NetJets captain once said "This half of the cockpit is mine" as he pointed from the center of the panel around to his left shoulder.  Then he said "This half of the cockpit is OURS" as he pointed from the center of the panel around to he co-pilot's right shoulder.  :)

There are only three appropriate responses from a first officer:

1.  Clear right.
2.  You're right.
3.  I'll take the fat one.

Ricochet13

Quote from: ricecakecm on November 19, 2007, 02:25:23 PM
An old crusty NetJets captain once said "This half of the cockpit is mine" as he pointed from the center of the panel around to his left shoulder.  Then he said "This half of the cockpit is OURS" as he pointed from the center of the panel around to he co-pilot's right shoulder.  :)

1.  Clear right.
2.  You're right.

Wonder how many of those "old crusty NetJets captains" are no longer with us, and more importantly, how many others did they take with them?  >:(

There is a difference between the concept of PIC making final decisions for the aircraft, and failing to take other views into account when issues of safety and mission are involved.  Seems to me there was a CRM presentation about removing ego from the cockpit.  Might be worth having any "old crusty NetJet captains" who are still with us review it.  Although, maybe the uniform committee could authorize a patch for the flightsuit which identified these pilots . . . just so I could be sure of who NOT to fly with.

What was that old saying . . . "there are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots".   I intend to become a very, very, very old pilot, thank you very much! ;D

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on November 19, 2007, 02:46:20 AM
Quote from: isuhawkeye on November 14, 2007, 02:14:00 AM

I'd be quite interested in reading this when it's done. I've been touching on the CRM concept while teaching paramedic students.

I would also be interested in the finished prduct. Good luck in your efforts.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: SJFedor on November 13, 2007, 10:38:33 PM
A company called "Lifewings" does the program.

For some reason that company name has an air of unprofessionalism to me.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

ricecakecm

Quote from: Ricochet13 on November 20, 2007, 12:55:51 AM

1.  Clear right.
2.  You're right.

Wonder how many of those "old crusty NetJets captains" are no longer with us, and more importantly, how many others did they take with them?  >:(

There is a difference between the concept of PIC making final decisions for the aircraft, and failing to take other views into account when issues of safety and mission are involved.  Seems to me there was a CRM presentation about removing ego from the cockpit.  Might be worth having any "old crusty NetJet captains" who are still with us review it.  Although, maybe the uniform committee could authorize a patch for the flightsuit which identified these pilots . . . just so I could be sure of who NOT to fly with.

What was that old saying . . . "there are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots".   I intend to become a very, very, very old pilot, thank you very much! ;D

What I failed to mention was he said it with a big old grin on his face.  He was joking.  Sometimes as a captain, I might say that to my co-pilot at work, but I'm joking, and they know it.  Of course, I fly with a very few number of co-pilots, so we all know eachother.

Sure, there are some of those captains still out there who are of the "Gear up, shut up" variety, but they're becoming fewer and fewer.

scooter

flund94 above is correct. CAP talks about CRM but does not train the CREW on CRM. Someone thinks saying "knock it off" is good CRM. Not really. Good CRM starts with the crew briefing, the PIC sets the tone for how the cockpit is to be managed/run. How is the mission going to be accomplished, who does what during normal and emergency operations. Sloppy briefing equals sloppy CRM or none at all. I have flown with pilots that were totally solo even though there were two more qualified pilots in the airplane filling the other crew positions. Had no clew how to make use of all the help available. This from a guy with about 17000 hours of CRM and Crew Coordination time, military and civilian. :)

PHall

Quote from: ricecakecm on November 21, 2007, 03:32:53 PM
Quote from: Ricochet13 on November 20, 2007, 12:55:51 AM

1.  Clear right.
2.  You're right.

What I failed to mention was he said it with a big old grin on his face.  He was joking.  Sometimes as a captain, I might say that to my co-pilot at work, but I'm joking, and they know it.  Of course, I fly with a very few number of co-pilots, so we all know eachother.

Sure, there are some of those captains still out there who are of the "Gear up, shut up" variety, but they're becoming fewer and fewer.

We had one crusty old Lt Col in my Reserve unit who's take on Cockpit Resource Management was as follows:
It's MY cockpit.  You're MY resources. And I'll manage them as I please!

His retirement party was soso. The "Good Riddance You're Gone" party the following drill was a real party!

CrewDog

As a CFI and Former KC-135 Crew member and CRM Instructor I've seen CRM in many forms. Basically for the Single pilot it's more about resources, but with a crew, no matter what the function the key is communication.  As long as folks loose the chip on the shoulder information can flow.