Cadet Wings (aviation badge)

Started by skippytim, November 12, 2007, 03:18:00 PM

skippytim

What are the requirments for a Cadet to earn their "Wings"? (aviation badge)

Thank you.

Eclipse

Pre-solo or solo for those wings.

Meet the criteria (including age - 18), and complete a Form 5, etc., for the transport wings.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: skippytim on November 12, 2007, 03:18:00 PM
What are the requirments for a Cadet to earn their "Wings"? (aviation badge)

Thank you.

Same as seniors as long as they're 18.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JohnKachenmeister

Glider wings can be awarded based on FAA issue of a license.  No form 5G (unless you plan to fly a CAP glider) and you don't have to be 18.
Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

Also:  I just checked 60-1 and you only have to be 17 to be a CAP pilot (16 for glider).

The FAA says you have to be 17 to get a pilot's license, (16 for glider) so IF you get a single-engine license, and you pass a form 5 checkride, pin your wings on!

Eclipse

((*sigh*)) once again, learning something new everyday...

Quote from: CAPR 60-1, Page 18-193-2. Pilot Qualifications.
a. CAP Cadet Pre-Solo Pilot. The following basic requirements must be met to be qualified as a CAP cadet pre-solo pilot. This qualification may only be earned at an organized wing or higher-level flight encampment/academy.
(1) Be an active CAP member at least 16 years of age (for balloon or glider be age 14 or older).
(2) Have received the required instruction from a CAP certificated flight instructor/-glider (CFI/CFIG), at a wing level or higher flight encampment/academy and have a written record documenting instruction of all items of FAR 61.87, in the appropriate aircraft.
(3) Complete a pre-solo qualification flight as described in paragraph 1-6.
b. CAP Solo Pilot. The following basic requirements must be met to be qualified as a CAP solo pilot in CAP aircraft:
(1) Be an active CAP member at least 16 years of age (for balloon or glider be age 14 or older).
(2) Possess a valid FAA student pilot certificate.
(3) Possess a valid, current medical certificate (not required for gliders or balloons).
(4) Have received the required instruction from an FAA authorized flight instructor (CFI/CFIG), have a written record documenting instruction, for the appropriate aircraft, in accordance with FAR 61.87, and possess a current solo endorsement IAW FARs from a CAP instructor pilot.
(5) CAP glider student pilots will have a minimum of thirty (30) dual instruction training flights and a properly documented logbook/training record ensuring all required areas of FAR 61.87, Solo Requirements for Student Pilots, are met prior to initial solo. First time, wing level or higher, glider encampment/academy students are restricted to CAP cadet pre-solo pilot qualification only.
c. CAP Pilot. The following basic requirements must be met to be qualified as a CAP pilot in CAP aircraft:
(1) Be an active CAP member at least 17 years of age (16 years of age for CAP glider pilots).
(2) Possess a valid FAA private, commercial, or airline transport pilot certificate.
(3) Possess a class III or higher medical certificate (not required for gliders).
(4) Possess a current flight review IAW FAR 61.56.
(5) Satisfactorily complete a CAPF 5 flight check in an aircraft (in an appropriate group) within the preceding 12 months.
CAPR 60-1 7 DECEMBER 2006 19
(6) Complete an annual CAPF 5 written examination and annual aircraft questionnaires (attachments 3 and 4) for each aircraft authorized to fly.

"That Others May Zoom"

skippytim

Okay. Well I fly 2 hours weekly with my instructor who's not CAP; but I have about 30 hours under my belt right now, I'm 16, and an active CAP member. So I suppose if I were to talk to my squadron commander, I could pretty easily get my wings.

MIKE

I think the key words here are "in CAP aircraft", and "and possess a current solo endorsement IAW FARs from a CAP instructor pilot."  you can check the definitions for exactly what those terms mean.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: skippytim on November 12, 2007, 04:09:04 PM
Okay. Well I fly 2 hours weekly with my instructor who's not CAP; but I have about 30 hours under my belt right now, I'm 16, and an active CAP member. So I suppose if I were to talk to my squadron commander, I could pretty easily get my wings.

Are you a licensed pilot?

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

At 16, he wouldn't qualify for CAP pilot with the exception of glider.
Mike Johnston

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: MIKE on November 12, 2007, 05:52:27 PM
At 16, he wouldn't qualify for CAP pilot with the exception of glider.

Also, he only has 30 hours.

IF he were able to find a CAP check pilot who was also an FAA designated examiner (good luck) he could get his FAA checkride and his form 5 checkride together.  They are basically the same thing.

Otherwise, he has to take 2 checkrides... one for the license and one for the wings.

If he were to get 50 hours of cross country in, he could qualify as a Mission Transport Pilot, but THAT qualification does require age 18 or older. 

mdickinson

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 12, 2007, 06:17:18 PM
IF he were able to find a CAP check pilot who was also an FAA designated examiner (good luck) he could get his FAA checkride and his form 5 checkride together.  They are basically the same thing.

Otherwise, he has to take 2 checkrides... one for the license and one for the wings.

Not so.  You shoulda read CAPR 60-1 before replying.

Quote from: CAPR 60-1 para. 3-5.c.
A flight check administered by a FAA inspector, designated check airman, designated pilot examiner, or CAP-USAF flight examiner is acceptable provided the individual administering the flight check completes and signs the CAPF 5 and the CAP-specific items are verbally covered by an authorized CAP check pilot who also signs the CAPF 5.

Example: a cadet from New York City did his primary flight training in CAP aircraft in August; I was his flight instructor. When he was ready for his private pilot checkride, I made sure he knew all the CAP-specific info that he needed to be ready for a form 5 as well.

When he took his private checkride with the FAA Designated Pilot Examiner, he handed the DPE the Form 5. The DPE filled in "S"s for all the tasks he had satisfactorily performed, then signed the form. I met with the newly-minted pilot the next day, quizzed him on all the CAP-specific areas on the form, then signed the form as a CAP check pilot.  Then he attached a copy of the completed CAPF 5 to a CAPF 2a on which he applied for CAP Pilot Wings.

So he completed the Private Pilot checkride, his first Form 5 checkride, and his CAP Pilot Wings, in one process. This is the way we always do it around here when cadets earn their private certificate.

Eclipse

Quote from: mdickinson on November 12, 2007, 07:00:34 PM
When he took his private checkride with the FAA Designated Pilot Examiner, he handed the DPE the Form 5. The DPE filled in "S"s for all the tasks he had satisfactorily performed, then signed the form. I met with the newly-minted pilot the next day, quizzed him on all the CAP-specific areas on the form, then signed the form as a CAP check pilot.  Then he attached a copy of the completed CAPF 5 to a CAPF 2a on which he applied for CAP Pilot Wings.

So he completed the Private Pilot checkride, his first Form 5 checkride, and his CAP Pilot Wings, in one process. This is the way we always do it around here when cadets earn their private certificate.

but you didn't actually give him a check ride yourself?

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

I think *hope* he's talking about his solo wings. Below is the requirement for the CAP Solo Pilot DESIGNATION, not the awarding of the aeronautical badge. So your true reference is CAPR 35-6, but since it says "Qualified IAW 60-1", you're back here.

Quote from: 60-1
b. CAP Solo Pilot. The following basic requirements must be met to be qualified as a CAP solo pilot in CAP aircraft:
(3) Possess a valid, current medical certificate (not required for gliders or balloons).
(4) Have received the required instruction from an FAA authorized flight instructor (CFI/CFIG), have a written record documenting instruction, for the appropriate aircraft, in accordance with FAR 61.87, and possess a current solo endorsement IAW FARs from a CAP instructor pilot.

So if you meet all 4 requirements for powered solo wings issuance, yes, pin them on. Nothing says that the 4 required items needs to be completed IN a CAP aircraft, just that you need those things to be elligible as a CAP solo pilot IN a CAP aircraft.

Once you get your PP certificate, you'll need to do an F5 before you can be designated as a "CAP Pilot" and be elligible to wear the full wings.

He'll need to be 18 before he can load anyone into a CAP aircraft as a passenger (yes, even seniors) except for a CAP CFI/CFII or FAA DPE.

Actually, no. There's an easier way.
Quote from: CAPR 60-1, 3.5(c)
A flight check administered by a FAA inspector, designated check airman, designated pilot examiner, or CAP-USAF flight examiner is acceptable provided the individual administering the flight check completes and signs the CAPF 5 and the CAP specific items are verbally covered by an authorized CAP check pilot who also signs the CAPF 5.

So the DPE signs off everything completed on the F5 as far as maneuvers go, and a CAP check pilot needs to review it, along with the CAP specific stuff (which should be verbal stuff only since all flight maneuvers would be completed for issuance of a certificate), and voila! The DPE DOES NOT need to be a CAP member.

If he were to get 50 hours of cross country in, he could qualify as a Mission Transport Pilot, but THAT qualification does require age 18 or older. 

I promise I'm not picking on you Kach  ;D, but for designation as a TMP, you need 100 hours pilot in command (not total time), plus 50 hours XC time, plus a current CAPF 5, plus have passenger carrying ability IAW 60-1 (18+ years old).

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

mdickinson

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2007, 03:20:48 PM
Pre-solo or solo for those wings.

Meet the criteria (including age - 18), and complete a Form 5, etc., for the transport wings.

No.

1. There is no such thing as "transport wings."

2. The requirements to wear pilot wings are given in CAPR 35-6.

CAP has seven different wings that can be worn:
- Cadet Pre-solo
- Solo
- CAP Pilot
- Senior Pilot
- Command Pilot
- Glider Pilot
- Balloon Pilot

One important step sometimes overlooked is that, once qualified, the member (remember, solo wings can be worn by seniors and cadets) must complete a CAPF 2a enter their solo date or checkride date into e-services. Once the qualification has been verified in e-services, then the wings may be worn.[edited by mdickinson to correct]

3. The steps to qualify for "pre-solo wings" and "solo wings" are given in CAPR 60-1. It also contains requirements for glider wings, balloon wings, and requirements to become a CAP Pilot.

4. For the glider and balloon wings, all that is necessary is that the person hold an FAA pilot certificate with a glider or balloon rating on it. Then fill out a form 2a enter the checkride date into e-services and get your unit commander to verify the data.[edited by mdickinson to correct]

5. There is no requirement that someone be 18 in order to wear CAP pilot wings.

6. the minimum age to hold pilot certificates are as follows:
Solo glider: 14
Solo balloon: 14
Solo airplane: 16
Private glider: 16
Private balloon: 16
Private airplane: 17
Commercial: 18
Flight Instructor: 18
ATP: 21 23 (thanks SJFedor)

SJFedor

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: SJFedor on November 12, 2007, 07:14:43 PM
I think *hope* he's talking about his solo wings. Below is the requirement for the CAP Solo Pilot DESIGNATION, not the awarding of the aeronautical badge. So your true reference is CAPR 35-6, but since it says "Qualified IAW 60-1", you're back here.

Quote from: 60-1

So if you meet all 4 requirements for powered solo wings issuance, yes, pin them on. Nothing says that the 4 required items needs to be completed IN a CAP aircraft, just that you need those things to be elligible as a CAP solo pilot IN a CAP aircraft.

Once you get your PP certificate, you'll need to do an F5 before you can be designated as a "CAP Pilot" and be elligible to wear the full wings.

He'll need to be 18 before he can load anyone into a CAP aircraft as a passenger (yes, even seniors) except for a CAP CFI/CFII or FAA DPE.

Actually, no. There's an easier way.
Quote from: CAPR 60-1, 3.5(c)
A flight check administered by a FAA inspector, designated check airman, designated pilot examiner, or CAP-USAF flight examiner is acceptable provided the individual administering the flight check completes and signs the CAPF 5 and the CAP specific items are verbally covered by an authorized CAP check pilot who also signs the CAPF 5.

So the DPE signs off everything completed on the F5 as far as maneuvers go, and a CAP check pilot needs to review it, along with the CAP specific stuff (which should be verbal stuff only since all flight maneuvers would be completed for issuance of a certificate), and voila! The DPE DOES NOT need to be a CAP member.

I promise I'm not picking on you Kach  ;D, but for designation as a TMP, you need 100 hours pilot in command (not total time), plus 50 hours XC time, plus a current CAPF 5, plus have passenger carrying ability IAW 60-1 (18+ years old).
[/quot    

I forgot about the rule allowing a DPE to sign the Form 5.

And... I was talking in shorthand about TMP.  I was just pointing out that MISSION pilots need to be 18, although the pilot badge can be awarded at age 17.  

SJFedor

I know, it's just that 100hrs PIC requirement that sometimes bites people. I've had older cadets w/ their privates and F5's request to be a TMP because they had 100hrs. They had over 100hrs total time, but only 20-25 hours PIC, and that makes all the difference  ;D

We actually had a discussion about things like this at NCPSC this past weekend, especially the "telephone" effect, where info gets passed from one person to another, and when it gets down there, it's totally different.

Did you know that, according to an FAA inspector, we need to hold copies of any FAA exemption we're exercising under? (Cadet o-rides/mission flying w/ private pilots, etc)

The exemptions we have (and had) are interesting reading.

They can be found at aes.faa.gov (no www), just search Civil Air Patrol as the petitioner.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Eclipse

Ditto on the shorthand, and I guess I should have asked "which wings" first.

Correct, of course on their not being "transport wings" - TMP is an ES designation,
"pilot" is an aviation designation.

"That Others May Zoom"

mdickinson

Quote from: SJFedor on November 12, 2007, 07:14:43 PM
So if you meet all 4 requirements for powered solo wings issuance, yes, pin them on. Nothing says that the 4 required items needs to be completed IN a CAP aircraft, just that you need those things to be eligible as a CAP solo pilot IN a CAP aircraft.

1. No, don't just "pin them on" - first you have to fill out a CAPF 2a (whoops - not any more) go into e-services ("My Ops Qualifications/National Reports" section) and enter your solo date. Once that has been "verified" by your commander, THEN you can pin on the badge. [edited by mdickinson to correct]

2. There is no such thing as "powered solo wings." There are just "solo wings." They can be earned in ANY category of aircraft. They are most commonly earned in airplane, glider, or balloon. The wings badge itself is the same badge regardless of what category you soloed in.