Left Seat / Right Seat PIC

Started by rgr84, November 04, 2007, 08:19:17 PM

rgr84

Excluding cadet O-rides  Is their any CAP regulations governing if the PIC should sit in the left seat versus the right seat.

Scenario:  The PIC/CFI of a G1000 mission transport flight wants to sit in the right seat and give instruction to a round dial C182 qualified pilot/MO who is sitting in the left seat. 

jeders

No. The only right/left seat requirement (that I could find) is that when flying over water at night both front seat crew members be qualified pilots.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

lordmonar

There is not requirement.

In fact CFI's get PIC credit for the flights they are instructing (from the right seat).
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Jolt

Can you fly from the right if you're the only person in the plane?

I wouldn't try it.  It's probably not very safe.  I just want to know the technical answer.

bosshawk

For those of you from California, note that the CHP(Cal Highway Patrol) pilots fly their Cessna 206s from the right seat.  The observer sits on the left and times the traffic when they are doing speeding checks. 

As far as I know, there is no FAR that specifies which seat the PIC sits in.  Conversely, there are some CAP Wings that specify that the PIC must be in the left seat.  Makes a certain amount of sense, since the majority of the instrument cluster is centered on the left side of the front.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Jolt

In all of the C-172s that I've been in, the ignition is on the far left side of the cockpit, so it would make sense that the PIC have control of the ignition.

ricecakecm

Quote from: Jolt on November 05, 2007, 01:47:34 AM
In all of the C-172s that I've been in, the ignition is on the far left side of the cockpit, so it would make sense that the PIC have control of the ignition.

It's not that big of a deal to have the ignition on the other side of the airplane.  A Cessna isn't so big that you can't reach across the cabin and you only use it during starting.

flynd94

I have to agree with ricecakecm, it isn't that big of a deal to reach across to the ignition.  Flying from either seat isn't a big deal.  It only takes a couple of bounce and go's to get used to the sight picture.

Keith Stason
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

star1151

Quote from: Jolt on November 05, 2007, 01:20:45 AM
Can you fly from the right if you're the only person in the plane?

I wouldn't try it.  It's probably not very safe.  I just want to know the technical answer.

I've done it in both a 182 and 172RG, completely solo.  I'd have tried it in the twin I flew, but it didn't have brakes on the right side.  Don't remember how I reached the ignition in the Cessna, but I can't imagine it was that much of a problem...would have been in the twin.

I also don't consider it unsafe.  I was working on my CFI at the time and felt a lot more comfortable landing and flying instruments from the right.

And for what it's worth, I have a hard time landing on the centerline from the left seat.

ETA: Last place I rented at made the PIC sit in the left seat, although I suspect that was mostly to keep out the unauthorized CFI's.

Nomex Maximus

Could I ask a related question? Suppose a 182 is being flown to a CAP mission with a 182 qualified PIC in the left seat. The PIC wants to get some hood work on the way. What qualifications does the right seat pilot need to be the safety pilot?

--NM

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Hoser

FARs require the pilot in the right seat to be qualified and current in the same category and class of airplane. In this case, ASEL. He/she doesn't have to be instrument rated. I think it's a good idea, but it's not required

SJFedor

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on November 07, 2007, 10:04:19 PM
Could I ask a related question? Suppose a 182 is being flown to a CAP mission with a 182 qualified PIC in the left seat. The PIC wants to get some hood work on the way. What qualifications does the right seat pilot need to be the safety pilot?

--NM

or vise versa. Had a guy who was my MO trainee who was also a TMP, wanted to get some hood time on the way. They had already released the flight to me, but I had him put his hood on, and he got sim inst. from the right, while I safety'd from the left.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)