Upcoming change to 60-1 for AFROTC orientation pilots

Started by CFI_Ed, October 24, 2007, 08:31:58 PM

CFI_Ed

This just came in today (sorry, the upload folder was full and I couldn't U/L the actual .pdf).
Quote24 October 2007

MEMORANDUM FOR NATIONAL BOARD

SUBJECT: Use of CAP Private Pilots for AFROTC Orientation Flights

1. A recent FAA extension to Civil Air Patrol's Exemption 6771 includes a clarification that now allows CAP to use private pilots to conduct Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) cadet orientation flights. This eliminates the commercial certificate and class II medical requirements of CAPR 60-1, paragraph 3-2.f.(2). The 300 hour Pilot in Command (PIC) time requirement remains. This means that private pilots with 300 hour PIC time in category and class of airplane are authorized to fly AFROTC cadets on orientation flights. These pilots must be approved in eServices "Operations Qualifications" as AFROTC qualified pilots before they can conduct these flights.

2. This change will also be applicable to AFJROTC orientation flights whenever they are authorized by the Air Staff. A revised CAPR 60-1 reflecting this change will be available for review/comments on the web soon.

AMY S. COURTER
Brigadier General, CAP
Interim National Commander
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Pylon

FYI, and off-topic, upload folder has been increased in size.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

flyguy06

I didnt know we could take AFJROTC cadets on O-rides. Where is that written?

Matt

Unless I'm far off 60-1 along with one of our MOUs.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

PHall

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 25, 2007, 03:57:13 PM

Read it a little closer, it's AFROTC  (college folks) not Junior ROTC.

BillB

PHall is correct. AFJROTC is waiting for an Air Staff OK to get CAP O-rides. So far it has NOT been approved.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

flyguy06

Quote from: PHall on October 25, 2007, 05:27:17 PM

Thats what I thought, but if you look at the above post, the poster says AFJROTC as well as AFROTC. I was merely looking for clarification. There are a few AFJROTC units around my area I would love to get up in the air.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 25, 2007, 06:46:13 PMThere are a few AFJROTC units around my area I would love to get up in the air.

Not to sound dumb or anything, but are CAP cadets in short supply in your area?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

Would you turn down money from the Air Force to provide orientation rides to AFJROTC or ROTC cadets?  Do you doubt that giving CAP o-rides would have priority?  This is right in line with CAP's AE mission and has the added benefit of having us better utilize the planes the AF bought for us. 

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 25, 2007, 06:46:13 PM
Quote from: PHall on October 25, 2007, 05:27:17 PM

Thats what I thought, but if you look at the above post, the poster says AFJROTC as well as AFROTC. I was merely looking for clarification. There are a few AFJROTC units around my area I would love to get up in the air.

Quote from: Gen Courter2. This change will also be applicable to AFJROTC orientation flights whenever they are authorized by the Air Staff. A revised CAPR 60-1 reflecting this change will be available for review/comments on the web soon.

Emphasis mine. RTFM.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RiverAux on October 25, 2007, 10:17:35 PM
Would you turn down money from the Air Force to provide orientation rides to AFJROTC or ROTC cadets?  Do you doubt that giving CAP o-rides would have priority?  This is right in line with CAP's AE mission and has the added benefit of having us better utilize the planes the AF bought for us. 

IME, there are usually CAP cadets chomping at the bit to get O-Flights.  I have seen CAP cadet O-Flights canceled to fly ROTC cadets. 

I understand that part of our mission is "external AE."

So the question was exactly what it said - is there a shortage of CAP cadets to fly in his area.  Perhaps all the cadets in his "service area" have recieved their O-Flights or aren't interested in them.  It does happen occasionally.  It was just a question, don't read too much into it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

Who says we can't do both?  Are you going to turn down the chance to fly AFROTC cadets because you've already spent all the money you've got to fly CAP cadets?  AF is paying both ways and unless they give us the authority to move money between accounts (unlikely), then we fly the cadets they have provided funding for. 

DrJbdm

I think this is a much needed change and one that would be very much needed if the AFJROTC flights are authorized. There's a shortage of pilots who where qualified to fly ROTC cadets.

JayT

AFJROTC cadets on CAP airplanes could lead to more CAP cadets with AFJROTC patches on their shoulder.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Short Field

Free flight hours?  I don't care what you are doing, if it is funded, it is a good deal.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640