Form 5 completed, now what?

Started by Nomex Maximus, October 19, 2007, 05:43:30 PM

Nomex Maximus

I completed my form 5 initial checkride and e-services says I am an active CAP pilot, but TMP is still "pending group approval". Can I fly the CAP airplane solo now or do I have to wait for the TMP to be group approved?

???
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Capflyer

You can fly the airplane solo but not on missions. IOW, you can do proficiency flights that you pay for.
Once your TMP is approved on group level it will go to Wing level for approval which doesn't take long.
When the TMP rating shows on your 101 card,  you will be able to fly certain transport missions, high bird and stuff like that.

mdickinson

For those who are wondering, TMP = Transport Mission Pilot.

If you have a current form 5, Flight Review, and medical, and you appear on your wing's list of active pilots, then you can fly any CAP airplane that is the same make & model as the one(s) you've been form-5'd in. (You fly as PIC, not solo; only student pilots can fly "solo.")

Transport Mission Pilot is not a pilot qualification; it is an Emergency Services rating. Lacking an ES rating does not keep you from flying; there are hundreds of CAP pilots who have a form 5 but no ES ratings.

However you cannot fly an airplane to, from, or during a mission until you become a TMP or a SAR/DR Mission Pilot Trainee.

Transport Mission Pilot is an ES qualification that requires only four things: Form 5'd pilot; over 18 years old; at least 100 hrs PIC time and 50 hrs cross-country time; and a General ES card.

By the way, I could not help noticing your signature block.
Quote from: Nomex Maximus on October 19, 2007, 05:43:30 PM
2nd Lieutenant (almost) CAP MIWG
TMP,MO,MS and amateur Podiatrist
It says you are a 2d Lt "almost," then goes on to list your qualifications, including TMP, which you state in your post that you don't have yet.

It's a very bad idea to go claiming grade or ES qualifications (in your signature block or anywhere else) until AFTER you have completed them and have proof in hand. Adding them when you "almost" hold them shows a willingness to play loose with the rules, and suggests you may be willing to claim qualifications that you don't have.

Being promoted, or getting an ES rating, is like being pregnant; there is no "almost" about it. Either you aren't; or you are, but you're not telling anyone yet while you wait for something (a fetus of viable age, or your new membership card to arrive in the mail, as the case may be); or you are.

Only once you are should you say that you are.

P.S. It's 2d Lt, not 2nd Lt. See CAPR 35-5.

Nomex Maximus

OK, I updated the profile when I was told my TMP was imminent. Sorry, I have re-updated the profile.

OK, you say I have to show up on my wing's list of active pilots? That apparently only get updated once a month. Bummer. I have been trying for over four months to get to a point where I can build hours towards MP. I guess I have to keep waiting...
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: mdickinson on October 19, 2007, 06:45:13 PM
.  .  .
By the way, I could not help noticing your signature block.
Quote from: Nomex Maximus on October 19, 2007, 05:43:30 PM
2nd Lieutenant (almost) CAP MIWG
TMP,MO,MS and amateur Podiatrist
It says you are a 2d Lt "almost," then goes on to list your qualifications, including TMP, which you state in your post that you don't have yet.

. . .

But you are OK with my amateur practice of podiatry?

--NM
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

Nomex Maximus

But seriously... when I go to e-services national reports and get the flight release support report, I am listed. Is that what I need to be able to go fly?
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

Dragoon

There's an easy way to find out.  Talk to a flight release officer in your wing, and find out if you meet your wing's criteria to fly.  If there's a list you need to be on and you're not, he'll let you know.

All the rules say, I believe is that you have the Form 5 done AND signed by your Squadron Ops officer.  But many wings add to that, and require you to show up on a Wing list of pilots (to help FROs know who is good or not).

Around these parts, you have to submit your form 5 to the keeper of the list.  And he'll send you an e-mail that you can use as proof until you come out on next months list.  But YMMV.