CAP enters a team in SARSCENE competition

Started by fyrfitrmedic, October 12, 2007, 11:46:46 PM

fyrfitrmedic

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS -- A Civil Air Patrol search and rescue team will compete in the SARSCENE Games, the world's only official International Search and Rescue Competition, on Oct. 17 in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. 

http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=3610

I'm kinda surprised that something like this wasn't done ages ago.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

RiverAux

The Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary and the US Coast Guard Auxiliary have had an international SAR competition for many years.  This was the last year (US won!) for it due to the high costs.  Now the US CG Aux will just have a national SAR comp. 

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: RiverAux on October 12, 2007, 11:50:07 PM
The Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary and the US Coast Guard Auxiliary have had an international SAR competition for many years.  This was the last year (US won!) for it due to the high costs.  Now the US CG Aux will just have a national SAR comp. 

The loss of the international aspect is a shame IMHO.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

JC004

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on October 13, 2007, 12:30:08 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on October 12, 2007, 11:50:07 PM

The loss of the international aspect is a shame IMHO.

We should take every opportunity to remind those Canadians that we are cooler.  Instead of sending us thank-you cards for inventing things like their precious "Kraft dinner," they just steal it.  It's "Macaroni and Cheese," [darn]it!   >:D

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on October 12, 2007, 11:46:46 PM
NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS -- A Civil Air Patrol search and rescue team will compete in the SARSCENE Games, the world's only official International Search and Rescue Competition, on Oct. 17 in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. 

http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=3610

I'm kinda surprised that something like this wasn't done ages ago.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o I WANNA GO !!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

THAT'S SO AWESOME!!!!

Matt

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 13, 2007, 04:27:47 AM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o I WANNA GO !!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

THAT'S SO AWESOME!!!!

Remember to get your squadron commander's approval... :D
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Stonewall

Glad someone is getting to do it.  Back in '99 I was shot down when I put together "Rescue Challenge", a CAP SAR Competition.
Serving since 1987.

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Stonewall on October 14, 2007, 07:40:05 PM
Glad someone is getting to do it.  Back in '99 I was shot down when I put together "Rescue Challenge", a CAP SAR Competition.

I vaguely remember hearing a rumor about something like that in the works in '98 or '99...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA

♠SARKID♠

Why'd it get shot down?

Stonewall

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 15, 2007, 12:42:07 AM

Why'd it get shot down?

Two non-ground team folks with a lot of rank and in charge of ES for the wing didn't care for me and thought it proved zero worth in the realm of ES.  I later busted both of them in a conspiracy to get one of their sons "advanced promotion" through the Mitchell.
Serving since 1987.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Stonewall on October 15, 2007, 01:21:06 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 15, 2007, 12:42:07 AM

Why'd it get shot down?

Two non-ground team folks with a lot of rank and in charge of ES for the wing didn't care for me and thought it proved zero worth in the realm of ES.  I later busted both of them in a conspiracy to get one of their sons "advanced promotion" through the Mitchell.

Good job, we dont need $%^& like that in CAP

BillB

Waiting for CAPHistorian to jump in here because I think that there was a National SAR Competition umpteen years ago.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: BillB on October 15, 2007, 02:17:41 AM
Waiting for CAPHistorian to jump in here because I think that there was a National SAR Competition umpteen years ago.

I'm not a historian but I do remember CAP's national SAR competitions being held at Kirtland AFB back in the day.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA

sardak

A few National SARCOMPs in the 80's were held at Whiteman AFB in Missouri.

The SARSCENE Games are part of SARSCENE, the Canadian National SAR Secretariat's (NSS) annual SAR conference.  The conference is open to anyone, and any group can enter a team into the Games.  The team doesn't need any official sponsor - four people who want to compete can call themselves a team and enter.

Mike

sarmed1

The theroy (pipe dream) is to have CAP again start a National GSAR competition, with the winning team representing CAP at the SARSCENE.

we'll se how it goes, I'll let you know

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

isuhawkeye

I think the key here is external involvement. 

Its all well and good to have our own competition, but it is an entirely different thing to participate in external competitions. 

♠SARKID♠

SARSCENE

Results(?) of CAP's participation in the competition.  Doesn't say where we placed, just that we scored highly.

One thing though:  Those vests are DARN reflective in that picture!  8) 8) 8)

Trouble

Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

floridacyclist

That's cool...I see they use ICS too. Nice to know that we can even use it for international coordination should the need arise.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Larry Mangum

The ideal was brought up to bring back the national sar comp, but national wanted to fund it by paying for ti out of the money the wings receive for SAR training. I don't know about your wing, but it is hard enough to get funding for all of the ops training we need as it is, without reducing our funds for a competion.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001