Do Airplanes belong to Squadrons

Started by flyguy06, October 09, 2007, 12:25:53 AM

BlackKnight

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 11, 2007, 10:03:28 PM
Yeah, I dont get those "pre-solo" wings. Isaw a cadet with them the other week. Too me, its jus tsaying "well, sorry you didnt solo, but lets give you something to make you feel good" To me, it cheapens the cadets who work hard to actually solo. Ifeel the same way about the Ira Eaker award. Its a consolation prize.

It's very unusual for a cadet attending a flight academy to be permitted to solo their first year of attendance.  The NFA CFIs have to apply to NHQ for a wavier to permit NFA 1st year cadets to solo.  Usually they have to show the cadet has significant prior flight training experience for the wavier to be granted.  So it's not necessarily about how hard a cadet works during the NFA. A cadet could be Eddie Rickenbacker reincarnated skill-wise and if he doesn't have enough flight hours for everyone to feel comfortable he still wouldn't be allowed to solo until next year. 

As usual in CAP, follow the money and the liability insurance.  ;)
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

SoCalCAPOfficer

We have sent 2 cadets each year for the past two years and they have all soloed.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 11, 2007, 01:05:08 PMYou dont have 172's in your WIng? I have never heard of that before. I thought every Wing had 172's.

CAWG has no 172s. They have twenty 182s, and six 206s. A 172 is essentially useless for ES in California.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Quote from: SarDragon on October 12, 2007, 01:36:37 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on October 11, 2007, 01:05:08 PMYou dont have 172's in your WIng? I have never heard of that before. I thought every Wing had 172's.

CAWG has no 172s. They have twenty 182s, and six 206s. A 172 is essentially useless for ES in California.
Ok, but as I always say EVERYONE ISNT IN CAP FOR ES.

I joined CAP to work with cadets and introduce them to flying. So, If I were in CAWG I could not accomplish this. That sucks. So, canthey do flight training for cadets?

SoCalCAPOfficer

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 12, 2007, 03:05:15 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 12, 2007, 01:36:37 AM

Ok, but as I always say EVERYONE ISNT IN CAP FOR ES.

I joined CAP to work with cadets and introduce them to flying. So, If I were in CAWG I could not accomplish this. That sucks. So, canthey do flight training for cadets?

Technically yes.  The Cadet would have to meet all of the requirements in 60-1 for being PIC in a 182, including the Transition Course before they could solo in it.  But a lot of CFI's do not want to try to train cadets in a 182.   They worry that it is too fast and that it could get ahead of a trainee, not to mention the problem of bent firewalls if not landed properly.

It would be ideal if the Wing could get even one 172 to tour different Squadrons for flight training of cadets, and one for Northern California and one for Southern California would be even better.   While I love to do ES work, you are right CAP flying is not all about ES, Cadet training and Aerospace Education count too.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

flyguy06

Quote from: BlackKnight on October 12, 2007, 12:45:49 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on October 11, 2007, 10:03:28 PM
Yeah, I dont get those "pre-solo" wings. Isaw a cadet with them the other week. Too me, its jus tsaying "well, sorry you didnt solo, but lets give you something to make you feel good" To me, it cheapens the cadets who work hard to actually solo. Ifeel the same way about the Ira Eaker award. Its a consolation prize.

It's very unusual for a cadet attending a flight academy to be permitted to solo their first year of attendance.  The NFA CFIs have to apply to NHQ for a wavier to permit NFA 1st year cadets to solo.  Usually they have to show the cadet has significant prior flight training experience for the wavier to be granted.  So it's not necessarily about how hard a cadet works during the NFA. A cadet could be Eddie Rickenbacker reincarnated skill-wise and if he doesn't have enough flight hours for everyone to feel comfortable he still wouldn't be allowed to solo until next year. 

As usual in CAP, follow the money and the liability insurance.  ;)

Really? I wasnt aware of that. That is unusual. Iwork with another aviation orgnization called Organization ofBlack Airline Pilots (OBAP) Delta and OBAP sponsor a two week camp for youths ages 16-18 similar to the NFA. They contract out to a flight school and go to class Mon-Fri for two weeks. Ground school in the morning and fly in the afternoon depending on the weather. Its not promoted as a solo camp, but usually all ten kids will solo in 15 hours within the two weeks.

arajca

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 11, 2007, 01:05:08 PM
You dont have 172's in your WIng? I have never heard of that before. I thought every Wing had 172's
Colorado doesn't have 172's. They're mostly useless for carrying the required equipment over half of the state. CO has borrowed 172's from Kansas for a flight activity in West Kansas eastern Colorado, where the ground is more horizontal than vertical and Cumulo-granite is less of an issue..