Main Menu

National Blue Beret

Started by Schmidty06, February 15, 2005, 05:26:58 AM

Pace

I won't make any more specific comments than I already have since this past summer, but I've been 3 years in a row and just found out I will have the ability to attend this summer.  However, I will not be returning should either of 2 people be in attendance (and I am 99.99999999% sure they will both be there).

Good advice about Oshkosh weather.  Always have plenty of water and always keep a poncho (or gortex now that they're officially allowed).  We had one hell of a storm come through this past summer.  The sky had been overcast for a while, and we knew the bad stuff was probably coming towards us.  We just didn't know exactly when.  As I was checking up on South Tower (waaaaaay on the opposite end of the field), I got the call from base to secure the 2 cadets in the tower in the EAA building and RTB ASAP, if practicable.  I knew I needed about 3-5 minutes to RTB, and I figured with the call just going out I had it.  As I was just starting back, it started pouring rain.  No biggie.  I don't melt.  Then the rain got even harder to the point of killing my forward visibility.  Still no biggie since I was the only one on the roads.  THEN the hail started.  Beret Base didn't warn me of possible hail, otherwise I would have stayed at the EAA building near south tower.  It started small but within a minute it was marble sized, maybe bigger (it's now only been 1-2 minutes since the rain started).  Did I mention I was getting almost a direct headwind of 10-20 knots?  After being hit in the head/face twice with hail, I pulled the golf cart over and got under the most stable tent I could find: an EAA sales tent.  At least we had comfy lawn chairs to sit in until the rain subsided.
Lt Col, CAP

Chris Jacobs

i think for that one i was on the flight line.  I remember the van racing toward me as the rain was starting and every one was yellling to get in.  I thought sweet i don't need to finish my shift.  By the time rest of the flight was picked up and we were back at base the hail and amazing rain started.  I got soaked running the 20 feet to the door.  Then there was the amazing safety briefing issued by cadet Sgt Schmitt and cadet Lt Abhaisingh.  It was so amazingly funny.  They had found these two life jacket blowing down the flight line and picked them up.  Then when this Storm hit they put them on and were giving every one the started commercial air plane preflight safety thing (we have 4 exits.....).  Sorry you were stuck under the tent and missed their awesome performance.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Pace

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on January 17, 2007, 06:04:22 PM
i think for that one i was on the flight line.  I remember the van racing toward me as the rain was starting and every one was yellling to get in.  I thought sweet i don't need to finish my shift.  By the time rest of the flight was picked up and we were back at base the hail and amazing rain started.  I got soaked running the 20 feet to the door.  Then there was the amazing safety briefing issued by cadet Sgt Schmitt and cadet Lt Abhaisingh.  It was so amazingly funny.  They had found these two life jacket blowing down the flight line and picked them up.  Then when this Storm hit they put them on and were giving every one the started commercial air plane preflight safety thing (we have 4 exits.....).  Sorry you were stuck under the tent and missed their awesome performance.

Carl Schmidt and I started NBB together back in 2004 in the same flight (back in my cadet days).  He's a great guy and quite funny.  I'm sorry I missed his "safety briefing" since, coming from him, I know it was hilarius.  I hear he's fighting sobriety these days in the Air Force at Sheperd (sp?).
Lt Col, CAP

Newhall

sounds like a great time and i appreciate all of the advice you folks gave. thanks.
C/2d LT Newhall
Thunderbird Composite Squadron
RMR-UT-067