Mess dress, flight suits, oh my.

Started by Lee Davis, August 27, 2007, 05:42:21 AM

trekkindave

Kidna off topic of the off topic-ness.... where can the mess dress uniform be purchased?  I would wear it if i could find one to wear.

ddelaney103

Quote from: trekkindave on August 29, 2007, 05:57:53 PM
Kidna off topic of the off topic-ness.... where can the mess dress uniform be purchased?  I would wear it if i could find one to wear.

It can be bought at any on-base MCSS or through Vanguard.  Unless you're loaded, you might want to consider AFB thrift stores or thrifts near bases.

pixelwonk

Vanguard for accessories maybe, but I haven't seen the uniforms there.

Not near an AFB? Try AAFES via phone if you want it new
EBay is another source for used mess dress

AlphaSigOU

AAFES military clothing sales stores at your nearby (or not-so-nearby) Air Force base, for starters. Be prepared to fork over $300 for the uniform itself (jacket, trousers, shirt, bowtie and cummerbund, cufflinks and studs, and any tailoring), and at least $75-$200 additional for the CAP-specific insignia, mini medals, etc.

Also, the base thrift store/Airman's Attic sometimes has gently-used mess dress uniforms for sale for a fraction of the cost of new. eBay is another source, but bidding wars often erupt over the larger sizes most CAPers wear when offered for auction.

I don't know of any private source of the AF mess dress, though. Googled with no result. Army and Navy has Marlow White for their formal dress uniforms.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MIKE

The CAP Bookstore used to sell mess dress... Vanguard only offers the doo dads now IIRC.
Mike Johnston

JayT

Maybe check with one of the guys at the 106th?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

trekkindave

Possibly... I'll have to ask around and check out EBAY

JayT

Quote from: trekkindave on August 29, 2007, 08:50:02 PM

If I find something, I'll let you know. I'm looking for a set for when I go FO.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Hawk200

Quote from: JThemann on August 29, 2007, 08:55:19 PM

It would be sharp, but one problem: Do they even make FO Mess Dress shoulder boards? I've never seen them, so I don't know if they exist.

Hawk200

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 30, 2007, 12:00:07 AM
It would be sharp, but one problem: Do they even make FO Mess Dress shoulder boards? I've never seen them, so I don't know if they exist.

Apparently, Vanguard has the FO ranks in bullion to glue on to some blank shoulder boards. Ironically, the first investment is more expensive than regular officer grades.

JayT

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 30, 2007, 12:00:07 AM
Quote from: JThemann on August 29, 2007, 08:55:19 PM

Yeah, metal rank on blank shoulder boards.

Blah!

RogueLeader

Slightly off topic, but what is bullion?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MIKE

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 30, 2007, 02:34:34 AM

Quote from: m-w.comMain Entry: bul·lion
Pronunciation: 'bul-y&n, -"yän
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French billion, bullion melting house, bullion, probably blend of Middle French bille ingot, piece of money (from Old French, log) and Anglo-French *bulliun, buillun cauldron, from Old French boillon froth on boiling liquid, broth -- more at BILLET, BOUILLON
1 a : gold or silver considered as so much metal; specifically : uncoined gold or silver in bars or ingots b : metal in the mass <lead bullion>
2 : lace, braid, or fringe of gold or silver threads
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 30, 2007, 02:34:34 AM

I don't know how to exactly to describe it other than it's basically a coiled strand of metal "embroidered" into the appropriate shape. There are numerous examples of it on the Vanguard website that should show you what it looks like, just search for "bullion" on there.

Go to the bottom of this page, hopefully it will work:

http://www.vanguardmil.com/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=bullion&items_per_page=40&sort=20a&page=21

There are a few examples of CAP bulliion items.

RogueLeader

Roger, and thanks. . . . .Who's Roger
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 28, 2007, 12:29:35 PM
But I'd say if you want to do it, by all means wear your Mess Dress to formal night, just call it a recruiting opportunity. (Just don't get plowed or start blowing chunks in public...)  YMMV

Is this prohibited in the 39-1 or the 151?
Then again I blew chunks when I first saw the price tag.  ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Mustang

Quote from: Lee Davis on August 27, 2007, 05:42:21 AM
I've seen a lot of differing opinions about wearing various uniforms, but here's a question which recently came up:

If you're on a cruiseline vacation, and there's a "formal" night, can you wear your mess dress uniform?

What I can't believe isn't that this question was asked, but that it was someone other than Joe-Ely Carrales asking it!
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Hawk200

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 31, 2007, 09:07:22 AM
Quote from: Al Sayre on August 28, 2007, 12:29:35 PM
But I'd say if you want to do it, by all means wear your Mess Dress to formal night, just call it a recruiting opportunity. (Just don't get plowed or start blowing chunks in public...)  YMMV

Is this prohibited in the 39-1 or the 151?
Then again I blew chunks when I first saw the price tag.  ::)

I believe that recommendation is more applicable when you are wearing said uniform. While looking at the price tag it may be considered acceptable, possibly expected.