Cadets learning to fly

Started by Walkman, August 20, 2007, 10:14:53 PM

Walkman

I read about the NFA NCSA and watched the video. I talks about having 10 hours of flight time & 35 hours of schoolin'.

So, what is required for a cadet to get a pilots license and besides the NFA, how can a cadet go about this?

My son is 13, new C/AB and his dream is to be an AF pilot. We're working on setting up some goals and stuff with him and wanted to include learning to fly in the list.

Thanks
-Walkman

p.s.-we have no pilots in our squadron at the moment

Jolt

I'm taking some lessons right now.  NFAs are great ways to kick off flight training.  You're immersed in the material for 10+ days, you get really close to your first solo right away, and they're relatively cheap compared to civilian training (with a good chunk of change coming from donations, I hear).  But if you can't go to a national flight academy, or would like to continue your flight training, the only way to keep flying through CAP (that I know of) is to find a local CFI to take you under their wing (pardon the pun).

In this case, age would be an issue.  At 13, your son would be limited to O-flights and any ground training he can do.  At 14, you can start flying balloons and gliders and it's also the legal age to solo either one.  I personally started with gliders at 15 when I went to NFA-G.  CAP won't let cadets take powered flight lessons until you're 16 years old.  You could take a few lessons before your 16th birthday through another flight training company, but it's much more expensive to fly outside of CAP and you wouldn't have an opportunity to solo until you turn 16.

I'm very lucky that my squadron commander is a CFI and I'm friends with his son who's the same age.  In addition, my squadron is based on an airport and we have two C-172s assigned to the field.  You're probably not as lucky as I am, but if you can find a CFI to volunteer to fly with your son when he turns 16, then you're golden.

Good luck!  Please tell me if I can answer any more specific questions.  I had trouble adequately summarizing everything.

JohnKachenmeister

Other than CAP, look into your area and see if there are any flying clubs around.  Flying clubs are usually cheaper than going the commercial FBO route.  He's got a way to go before he gets serious about flying, since he cannot solo in a powered aircraft until age 16.  He has to be 17 for a license.  (Solo in gliders at 14, license at 16).

There are two ways of getting the training.

1.  A CFI at a flying club or FBO will teach him, which will require 40 hours minimum flight time, including 20 hours solo, 3 hours instrument, 5 hours night, and I forget how many hours cross-country.

2.  He can go to an established school, which follows a set curriculum including ground school.  At a school, the flight time minimum is reduced to 35 hours.

Most of the time if a cadet is serious about flying, he takes the 40-hour route, which lets him proceed at his own pace.  Ground school is not required, but advisable, unless the cadet is really sharp and learned all kinds of stuff in aerospace ed.
Another former CAP officer

CASH172

The different flight encampments and flight academies are an excellent way to start flight training.  The national flight academies are not the only flight academies in CAP, there are ones at the wing and region level through the country.  It gives your son the opportunity to learn to solo, in a fast paced and cadet friendly environment.  It will definitely be cheaper than going to a regular flight school, because the instructors don't get paid and the price is offset from other sources. 

Of course the other road in CAP is the finding a CAP CFI willing to work with you in his own time way for free.  This is an option, but you have to find someone that is truly dedicated to helping your son.  Remember, this guy's not getting paid and he's doing this out of his love to help your son.  The CFI is however able to log hours for training your son so they do get some benefits. 

If you go those route, you will be paying the CAP member rental rate and possibly fuel.  I know some wings have a flat rate including fuel while others have members pay the rate and their own fuel. 

If you PM'ed me some more info, like what unit and wing your son is in, I could get you more specific information pertaining to your area. 

SJFedor

I pretty much echo what everyone else has said.

I'm a product of the CAP and how it can make pilots. I was very fortunate to have multiple CAP officer CFI's who took a huge amount of time to work with me and to help me achieve my pilot's license. Three years later, I'm a CAP Mission Pilot with 300 PIC hours, Instrument rated, and going to school as an aerospace science/professional pilot major.

He's a little young to start flight training, not saying that it can't be done, but it probably wouldn't be a good investment of money right now. I would recommend getting him to start flying (powered) right around his 16th birthday, and have him aim for a goal of right at or after his 17th birthday for completing his checkride. Starting to fly gliders can only make him a better pilot. If you can fly a plane without an engine, flying one with an engine shouldn't be too bad, right?

I'm still not that far displaced from the cadet program (only 21), so I'd be glad to talk to you or your son sometime about making this goal a reality. Just PM me sometime if you'd like.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JC004

Transfer to PAWG.  Not toooo far.   ;)  Our powered flight encampment is $375/cadet. Wing subsidizes $1,100 of the actual cost per cadet.

flyguy06

I disagree with the statements that at age 13 you are too young to start flight training. Ther eis no minimum age requirement to conduct flight training. I work with another youth organization that teaches young people how to fly and we have a few 13 and 14 year olds receiving flight training in a cesna 150 and 172. By the time of their 16th birthday they are more than ready to solo and already knocked out some dual cross country trips. By the time the get 17 they cantake their private pilot checkride with ease and a smart CFI will prepare them for the instrument ticket between their 16ht and 17th birthday. I knew a 17 year old that took both private pilot and instrument checkrides on the same day

Duke Dillio

At 13 or 14, this is a great time to get them started on the academics.  I'd say get a King's course or something and start the teachifying.  It'll give him a couple years to get ready for the FAA written.

SJFedor

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 21, 2007, 05:34:36 AM
I disagree with the statements that at age 13 you are too young to start flight training. Ther eis no minimum age requirement to conduct flight training. I work with another youth organization that teaches young people how to fly and we have a few 13 and 14 year olds receiving flight training in a cesna 150 and 172. By the time of their 16th birthday they are more than ready to solo and already knocked out some dual cross country trips. By the time the get 17 they cantake their private pilot checkride with ease and a smart CFI will prepare them for the instrument ticket between their 16ht and 17th birthday. I knew a 17 year old that took both private pilot and instrument checkrides on the same day

Allow me to expand on that...

Financially speaking, it may be more cost efficient to wait a bit for the flight training. He can only go so far at a young age, however, you'll spend a lot of money keeping up the skillset you've now invested in him to attain until he reaches the age where he can solo and/or go for a rating. However, if money isn't an issue, start flying him tomorrow.

Eesh. I personally wouldn't want to do both private and instrument in 1 day. Too many things to get mixed up in the oral. Each checkride for me took 4-6 hours, that would be overload. But, I don't doubt that it can't be done.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

Walkman

Quote from: JC004 on August 21, 2007, 01:18:24 AM
Transfer to PAWG.  Not toooo far.   ;)  Our powered flight encampment is $375/cadet. Wing subsidizes $1,100 of the actual cost per cadet.

Well, I did grow up in Bucks County. Haven't had a good cheesesteak since I left either, unless I make it myself.  ;)

Great advice everyone. We homeschool him, so we're using the AE modules as part of the curriculum this year. Start there like sargrunt mentioned and work towards the NFA.

He did get his first taste a couple of years ago. Got to participate in a Young Eagles event. Flew for about 15 minutes.

SJFedor

Quote from: Walkman on August 21, 2007, 06:11:16 AM
Quote from: JC004 on August 21, 2007, 01:18:24 AM

Well, I did grow up in Bucks County. Haven't had a good cheesesteak since I left either, unless I make it myself.  ;)

Great advice everyone. We homeschool him, so we're using the AE modules as part of the curriculum this year. Start there like sargrunt mentioned and work towards the NFA.

He did get his first taste a couple of years ago. Got to participate in a Young Eagles event. Flew for about 15 minutes.

Wow, small world!

I did all my primary flight training as a cadet in the Doylestown Squadron. From what I hear (and see), they're still pumping out a few cadets a year with their private pilot's licenses. I belive, the year I completed mine, we had 7 or 8 others complete it.

You need to move back home!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Walkman

Quote from: SJFedor on August 21, 2007, 06:14:57 AM
Wow, small world!

I did all my primary flight training as a cadet in the Doylestown Squadron. From what I hear (and see), they're still pumping out a few cadets a year with their private pilot's licenses. I belive, the year I completed mine, we had 7 or 8 others complete it.

You need to move back home!

Very small world. I lived in Dolestown until High School! ;D

Unfortunately, Doylestown doesn't have the Rocky Mountains ;) My house is literally 2 blocks west of the Wasatch range. I can grab a pack and be hiking in the thick of Dry Canyon or Providence Canyon in minutes with nothing but clear blue sky and the mountains (maybe the occaional rattler) keeping me company.

SJFedor

It's amazing how much it's grown and changed. I worked at the Doylestown Hospital for almost 2 years before I moved down here. CB West got a lot bigger, CB East is still decent, and they built CB South in Warrington, it opened for the 04-05 year, right after I graduated. Doesn't matter what time of day, it WILL take you 40 min to go from Doylestown to Montgomeryville.

But there's the lovely poconos!

And, the jersey shore! Just make sure your tetanus is up to date!

No worries, I left there, too. Unfortunately, I left the city of brotherly love for Music City. Not too much of an improvement. Especially since we're having 105 degree days. I really REALLY miss the snow. I still visit though, have some family in the area.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Tubacap

CB West used to crush us in football, I'm an Abington Heights graduate up by Scranton.  I wonder how many people on the forum have a relationship to PAWG somehow.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

Quote from: Walkman on August 20, 2007, 10:14:53 PM
I read about the NFA NCSA and watched the video. I talks about having 10 hours of flight time & 35 hours of schoolin'.

Hey, I'm in that video!   8)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP