Main Menu

The Good of CAP

Started by Stonewall, August 16, 2007, 03:36:42 AM

Stonewall

We've all gotten into arguments here, disagreed, thrown egg at each other and probably caused a few folks a sleepless night or two.  Imagine that, and we're all on the same team.

Everyone take a quick moment to tell a quick story about what CAP has done for you, or a good experience where you think CAP truly benefited someone you know, or someone you don't know.  If you were a cadet, how did it transform you?  What was some huge life lesson that you learned that you feel indebted to CAP for?

A friendship, a job, a change in direction in your life, because of CAP.  Come on, talk about it, tell us how you feel.  Make it positive so someone new to CAP or CAP Talk feels the love, the benefit of being in CAP...

Yes, I'll start:

AS A CADET:  I joined CAP in February of 1987.  On June 5th of that same year, my father, a retired Navy Commander and USNA grad, was hit by a drunk driver.  Paralyzed with brain damage, the roles in our lives reversed.  I became a 14 year old care taker; a 14 year old man of the house.  The next 4+ years were tough, but I made it.  I not only survived, I excelled.  I owe it to CAP.  Major George Otto, a former Marine Major and Vietnam War Helo Pilot was our CC and or DCC throughout my cadet days.  He didn't replace my dad, but he filled in one night a week and about one weekend a month.  He led by example and showed me how to be a man.

AS A SENIOR MEMBER, A YOUNG SENIOR MEMBER:  Cocky and ready to conquer the world, I was a young PFC when I became a senior after getting settled into my permanent duty station at Ft. Myer, VA.  I joined National Capital Wing.  An enlisted infantry dude by day and CAP officer by night, I had a lot to learn and some room to grow.  Older but not old Lt Cols like Frank McConnell, Gordon McIntosh, Majors Brad Ahlskog and Derrill Ballenger, and a handful of others of all ranks.  They treated me exactly the way I needed to be treated.  They wouldn't let me be stupid and they wouldn't let me weak.  They taught me the ins and outs of the cadet program from a senior's perspective.  I learned more about ES, specifically ground ops, from these guys than I knew could be learned.  They allowed me to advance in rank quickly, in minimal time in fact, but not without making sure I was ready, regardless of age.  Trust me, they wouldn't have approved my promotions if they didn't think I could handle it.  I made mistakes and the let me know, but more importantly, they made sure I learned something.  After my time in the active army, all 3 of my jobs were made possible because of CAP.  Other adult members who trusted me enough to recommend me for a position.  Jobs for the intelligence community, a high profile protection detail, and now as a federal police officer.

I am where I am today because of CAP.  I am confident that there are people where they are today because I was in CAP.  I've made a difference in my life, the life of my family, the lives of others and in our community, state, and nation.

And that's why CAP is a good place to be.  Now it's your turn...
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

I wasn't lucky enough to be able to experience CAP as a cadet.  When I was in High School, I tried hard to get into the Army.  I wanted to be a tanker.  I went to MEPS, pulled an 84 on my ASVAB, and could have had almost any job I wanted.  I was born with a condition called congenital nystagmus, it causes my eyes to continually over-correct.  It causes my eyes to move back and forth, uncontrollably.  While this doesn't bother my sight, (I don't even notice it for the most part) it got me DQ'd from any military service.

Life went on, and I went to college in West Virginia, and in my 3rd year there, I happened to do something that I shouldn't have, wore BDU's w/ insignia to class.  The professor asked me to step outside, and he asked me what I was doing.  I told him.  He expressed displeasure at what I had done; then asked me if I had ever heard of CAP.  I told him that yes- being a History Major, with a love of WWII, I had.  I did NOT know that it was still around.  He told me what it was about, and I have been hooked ever since.

I was only in WV WG for about six months before my life took my to Iowa, where I joined up with a unit there; I was able to really get involved and started doing things than just sit there, observing.  This May, life took another turn, and I moved down to OK , to get me started afresh. 

During the few years in CAP, I have been fairly depressed, and wasn't doing well in the real world, but CAP, it gave me something to DO; something to cling to, and it is part of the reason that believe that I am still around.

Thank you CAP!!!!
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mikeylikey

Also joined as a cadet.  Wow.....this is going to make me feel old.  I was lucky to fall into a good crowd of friends who introduced me to the program.  They had all been in for some time, and it took me what seemed like forever to get my mitch and become "their equal".  We met on an Air Force base, and that was my first real exposure to military life.  Our Sqd was lucky that the Base Commander was also a member and opened up what seemed like everything to the SQD.  He made it a point to get us tours, and briefings and flights as much as possible.  After 7 years of Cadeting around, it was time to go off to college.  The group I hung out with all had decided early as did I that we wanted to become military Officers.  We all applied to various schools and academies.  Some of us actually competed for nominations to the Air Force and Military Academy.  I lost, but was able to go to college on an Army ROTC scholarship.  Two guys from my group went to the Air Force Academy, one went to West Point and three of us (me included) did ROTC.  We all stayed active in CAP during our "real" Cadet days. 

After graduation, I Commissioned in the Army, with my friend who went to West Point giving me my Oath of Office.  All of us have stayed active members in CAP except for our time deployed.  Last May I was honored to swear in 2 members from my old CAP SQD that decided to enlist.  I have a few friends who through CAP moved onto awesome civilian careers with help from fellow Sqd members.  I have made good friends, found a rewarding career and now mentor the future leaders. 
I am privileged to have an Air Force General Officer as my mentor (the base commander from my cadet days), who I still meet for a drink at the club whenever I get back home. 

You would not believe the number of CAP members both current and ex that I have met overseas.  Some sport T-shirts, others I have overheard mention CAP while speaking in the mess line.  Most Officers will ask their soldiers, airman, marines,why they joined the military, I like to hear "well Sir, I was a Cadet in CAP".   

What's up monkeys?

Slim

Excellent idea, UK.  Who knows, with everything else that's gone on, a little reflection of why we're here might be good for some of us.  And reflection is something I'll be spending the next 48 hours doing, so it's kind of ironic.

Cadet:  I joined as a cadet with aspirations of serving, first in the Army as a tanker, then I developed an interest to follow the path my father took (but was unable to finish) of going to WOFT.  Neither of those dreams panned out, and I was medically DQ'd from both the Army and Air Force.  I enjoyed my time as a cadet, got to do some cool things, go to some cool places, and made a bunch of friends that I still keep in touch with.  I did a lot of ground ES, attended the last class of my group's ranger school (of which, I'm the last member of the last class still in), went to and won a region SARComp, and turned off a lot of non-distress ELTs.  When I was 17, I started to think about maybe going over to the air side of ES.  I had taken the old observer ground school, and did surprising well in it.  But regs at the time didn't allow cadets to fly missions.  So, I had been giving a lot of thought to turning senior when I hit 18.  Then, my life took a turn down a very bad road.

Twenty years ago tonight, after having literally just returned from summer encampment, I was activated to respond to the crash of Northwest Airlines flight 255 at Detroit Metro Airport.  For two days I worked perimeter security and recovery (identifying remains for later pick up).  What I saw and did during those two days has haunted me ever since.  Tonight, on the 20th anniversary, and at the invitation of a family member of one of the lost, I'm going to face those demons for the first time.  I've only visited the site of the crash once in all these years, and that was just last winter.  Tonight, I've been invited to attend the memorial vigil at the crash site.  Note that these experiences weren't all bad, this is what inspired me to seek a career in the fire service and EMS.

Senior:  So, I ended up turning senior the day after my 18th birthday, transferred to wing HQ (to get away from the CP for a couple of years), and got my scanner and observer qualifications.  I did a lot of flying, and ended up earning a seat on one of the top aircrews in the area.  I enjoyed the challenge of working at wing (in both logistics and comm), but missed the cadet program and working with cadets.  So, I got back into a cadet squadron commanded and run by some friends of mine, eventually becoming commander of that unit, only to have it get shut down by wing due to lack of cadet members. 

So, I spent some time in a pay-no play mode, and eventually got invited by some friends into another cadet squadron where I worked in CP almost exclusively.  I'm still in that unit, serving as deputy commander, with no desire to go higher right now.  I paid my dues there, so I'm using my experience to turn new commanders into great commanders (I'm on my third as deputy).  I'm also very heavily involved in the GLR-N encampment, where I've held just about every position I can, to include spending the last five years as commandant of cadets, executive officer, and vice commander.  We use a two year progression track there to ensure continuity and to train replacements.  I was XO and CV for two years each, hopefully I'll spend the next two as ENC/CC.

Along the way, I met some people who influenced me, and helped me realize what it means to be a good leader and officer.  People like Maj Kevin Adams (Spaatz 655 and a very close friend--died of cancer in 2003), Lt Col Mille Boehmer (the matriarch of MIWG, her son is wing CV currently, and her grandson is an up and coming cadet--she died of cancer in the late 90s), Lt Col Ron Padavan (spent some time as acting wing CC/wing CV and retired last winter), and Lt Col Darin Ninness (who was the other team leader at that ranger school I went to WIWAC, commanded both of the squadrons I served in as a senior, and then bailed out to NH wing).  There were a lot of others, but these people had the most influence on me as I grew up in the senior program.

These days, my focus and passion are with leadership training and encampment.  To see the lightbulb pop on in some cadet's head, and knowing that they "Get it" is just incredible.  To take a stuttering 12 year old afraid of his own shadow and see him grow up to be a cadet encampment commander.  To meet an awkward young lady on her first day in the program, and see her several years later as she is receiving the Spaatz award (I have two Spaatzen to my credit, and another I'd like to think I had some kind of influence on).  To see 110 first time cadets at encampment, watch them as they march for the first time as a flight (and see the disaster), then see them march around the parade field at graduation.  These are the things that keep me coming every week and every summer.  They make the long hours, the sweat and tears, the frustrations and heartache worthwhile.  But it's more personal to me.  Every life I touch in CAP is one less life I have to touch professionally.  I know I'm not going to find one of my cadets dead with a needle sticking out of their arm, or wrapped around a tree in what's left of their car.

Last spring, I was recognized by the MIWG CAC for my support, contributions and dedication to the wing cadet programs.  I was given the Gordon and Mildred Boehmer award for all my years of hard work.  Of all the commander's commendations, one meritorious service award, and numerous letters of appreciation, this award means the most to me, not only because it is named after two of my mentors, and a lot of my other mentors have received it in the past.   It also represents that the people we work so hard for, sacrifice so much for, and give so freely to have recognized this, and are saying thanks.

Slim

lordmonar

CAP has given me the opportunity to meet other people who love flying and who love to help out their community.

As cheesy as that sounds....that is the main reason why I joined CAP.

CAP also gives me the opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest young people in America.

There is not just one single event...but a whole multitude of them that make me continue to work with one of the best volunteer organizations in the world.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

I joined up to try something different, and hopefully pass on some of my experience as a military member to youth. As an Air Force airman, I was a cog in a machine. As a CAP officer, I had others actually soliciting my input.

It was also a chance to help others. I did quake relief in Northridge CA area after the '94 quake there. It was a good feeling when you had people there that went through that kind of devastation walking up to you to and thanking you for being there and helping them. You don't get that kind of satisfaction turning wrenches.

When I rejoined last year, I found that a lot of the reasons from the first time still applied. My unit is one of those at an airport, so we don't have any major military presence local to us. I have a lot of unit members that ask me about how the Air Force and the Army do things, and I like being useful in that regard.

Ironically, some of the talents I've learned on the CAP side may have some use on the Army Guard side. The scanner courses taught me things that I can use as aircrew on a helicopter. It's handy to have skills that make you useful.

I guess, overall, I found a place to belong. And that is that is the biggest thing I get out of it.

Stonewall

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 16, 2007, 03:40:22 PMIronically, some of the talents I've learned on the CAP side may have some use on the Army Guard side. The scanner courses taught me things that I can use as aircrew on a helicopter. It's handy to have skills that make you useful.

Excellent point here ^ and excellent stories from everyone else.  I'd like to get a few more, especially from some BTDTs.  Come on Shorning...Justin Bailey....Pylon, you know you want to.  Thanks, mikeylikey, it's about time I learned a little something about you.

But back to Hawk's statement.  This held true more often than you'd think during my time in the Army and even moreso now that I'm in the Air National Guard.

Sure, there was the easy stuff that CAP helped out with like in basic training.  I could march, knew how to wear a uniform, polish boots, and basic customs and courtesies.  But in a way, it made it tougher because I was having to sit there while a hundred other knuckleheads were drooling as the drill sergeant tried to teach some wanna-be street punk how to stand still.

It was things like land nav, where at my unit, I showed up with my Silva Ranger compass and plotted the map in half the time as the other soldiers.  The fact that I knew quite a bit about military history or how to approach a helicopter.  One time sitting down with my company commander as a PFC as he talked about something, I think maybe Billy Mitchell, and I was this 20 year old scrawny zit-faced kid carrying on about history with my CO.  Just small things like that.  Of course, it can backfire and you'll be the suck up wanna-be that everyone hates.

Since joining the Air Guard in 2003, CAP has come in more handy.  I didn't have to go to AF Basic Training so it was up to me to learn a lot of AF stuff, AF stuff that I've known since I was a teenager thanks to CAP.  So yeah, skills from your civilian or military career can benefit CAP a whole bunch, but not many people think it works the other way around too.
Serving since 1987.

Lancer

Cadet:
I joined CAP as a cadet toward the end of 1984. I was freshman in high school and had a classmate, Joe Rocha, who was a member of the South Macomb Cadet Squadron tell me about CAP after I had seen him in his uniform one day after school.

I started attending meetings regularly and did just about everything I could as it came my way. The squadron CC was Lt Col (then Capt) Ronald Padavan (Ret.).  At the age of 14 this man was 'larger than life' to me and I was drawn to everything he had said and had done.  He was the 'top cop' at Selfridge ANGB, MI, and from the moment I learned about what he did, I knew then that was what I wanted to do when I 'grew up'.  I took and ace'd the ASVAB and had everything set with the local AF recruiter to join as soon as I graduated HS and become a member of the USAF SF team.

In the fall of 1986 when I had just returned from a practice SAR/DR mission in Bellaire, MI I was in incredible amounts of pain. All that summer I was growing rapidly and the growing pains were more than normal for a teenager at the time. After an agonizing evening of endless pain, my parents finally took me to the emergency room where after being x-rayed, poked and prodded, I found out that both of  my hips had 'fallen apart' due to a condition known as SCFE (Slipped capital femoral epiphysis). The next morning a couple of very insensitive interns told me that I'd never play sports or do anything remotely physical for the rest of my life. My dreams of joining the AF were dashed in an instant.

I spent the next three months learning how to walk again and recovering both physically and mentally from what had happened to me. But no matter how much I was begged to stay in CAP, I just could not bear to be reminded weekly of what I would not be able to be an active part of. So with that I quit, never again to think about CAP.

Senior:
I was married in the spring of 1996 to a woman who had just gotten divorced and had a 2 ½ year old son.  We had a baby girl together a year later. As the years went by, I still never really gave CAP a single thought, even thought I knew a lot of the lessons I did learn during that time helped shape who I was at the time.

As my stepson grew older and more inquisitive about what I did when I was a kid, I told him about my time in CAP and told him maybe one day when he was old enough he'd like to join as a cadet. Somehow all of those stories did not seem to gel with him enough to want to join, and I certainly was not going to push him into it if he wasn't interested.

This last year we were at the 'Air Fair' in Muskegon, MI and the local cadet squadron had a booth set up. Which, after my wife and daughter split off from my stepson and I, we stopped by and talked to the members there. I guess it was just being there and meeting the other cadets and actually 'seeing' what being a cadet was all about that finally 'sparked' an interest for him. Soon after that encounter we found a local unit in Grand Rapids and joined, BOTH of us.

The past, almost year, has literally flown by. I think the two of us together in this short amount of time have done more in CAP than I had done when I was a cadet. From participating in the wing wide academic/quiz bowl and taking first place, to joining the drill team and competing at the wing and region levels, to attending the wing conference and going to encampment, I don't think we could possibly do more.

I wear many hats at our unit with Safety, Cadet Programs and Public Affairs among them. We have 4 core senior staff for 22 cadets (and growing) and I look forward to each and every weekly meeting and external event. It took a while for the existing cadets to come to know me and learn to trust me, but since that has occurred we've all worked very well together. I'm proud of everything our cadets do and achieve and look forward to every future endeavor we participate in.

I also act as the assistant director of IT for the wing and am currently working on building the replacement for the current wing website.

Everything I'm doing in CAP is keeping me as busy as my regular job does, if not more, and I wouldn't change a thing! I love every minute of it and look forward to growing together with my stepson, my daughter when she joins, and now my wife who recently became a CSM. I have a feeling she'll go 'Active' as she becomes more enamored with all that CAP does for today's youth, as well as her children.

Sure, I have my regrets about leaving CAP as a cadet, but as many others have pointed out to me, there's nothing I can do about it now except turn that regret into the vigor for excellence in the program as it stands today.

Stonewall

Quote from: Slim on August 16, 2007, 05:20:05 AM
Twenty years ago tonight, after having literally just returned from summer encampment, I was activated to respond to the crash of Northwest Airlines flight 255 at Detroit Metro Airport.  For two days I worked perimeter security and recovery (identifying remains for later pick up).  What I saw and did during those two days has haunted me ever since.  Tonight, on the 20th anniversary, and at the invitation of a family member of one of the lost, I'm going to face those demons for the first time.  I've only visited the site of the crash once in all these years, and that was just last winter.  Tonight, I've been invited to attend the memorial vigil at the crash site. 

Emphasis mine

So, Slim, how was?  Was it a good thing to re-visit?  I've always felt that going back to a tragic moment in my life, whether it be an actual visit to a place or with a friend, it helps.
Serving since 1987.

culpies

Well I owe a lot to the CAP cadet program.  I joined when I was 13 to get out of the boy scouts (whole different story) and because I wanted to fly.  I learned that there wasn't much I could to flying at at that age, so I started getting into the ES program.  I had moved from FL wing up to NATCAP at this point.  Found myself under a new, but extremely motivated butter bar senior member.  Turns out I had joined the squadron at a rather transitional phase and around 14 or 15 found myself as SSgt Cadet Commander.  I learned a lot in the next few years about leadership, followership, and myself.  I attended PJOC at 15 and learned even more about myself and how far someone can go when they decide to. It also planted a seed that comes up again a few years later.  At this point the squadron had grown to more than 4 times the size it was when I joined and was something I was truly proud to be part of.  You can ask my parents on this, CAP filled a lot of my free time and I loved it.  I learned to teach formaly and informaly, and how to communicate even better.  Eventually that seed that was planted in PJOC grew to the point that I decided it was time to quit wondering if I would make it as a PJ and go freakin find out.  3 years or training later I got the answer to that question.  My time in CAP has helped me many times, from working with the team, to field skills, to specific techinical knowledge (tought a class to my team out here in Africa all about ELT's just the other day from a knowledge base I got as a cadet).  CAP started me on that path to where I am today.  Wouldn't trade my time in the program for anything.   

ColonelJack

Okay, here's my tale.

I never had the opportunity to be a CAP Cadet.  I was an Army JROTC cadet in high school, where the idea of serving my country and being part of the military became the goal of my life.  Graduating at 16, I had to wait three interminable months to join the Air Force (the only choice I wanted), but join I did -- on my 17th birthday -- and I shipped out to Lackland AFB a month later.  Basic Military Training was pretty much a snap in '75.  Then, on my second day of Security Police school, something went "sproing" in my back and they sent me home on a board, with 47 days of active-duty service.  When I learned to walk again, I got a job in broadcasting, and began sliding into a depression I didn't realize would ultimately almost kill me -- because my life's dream of being in service was denied me.

Then, a couple of years (and one suicide attempt and a short stay in a padded room) later, I was introduced to CAP.  It was like throwing a drowning man a life preserver -- the program literally saved my life.  I worked my way up the chain, starting as Admin/Personnel/PAO and earning master ratings in all three as quickly as regulations permitted.  I also slid into Cadet Programs and Aerospace Ed, grabbing the master rating as fast as I could.  It was as if they'd let me into an all-you-can-eat buffet and I was starving.  I had to experience everything, learn everything, do everything I could ... without letting CAP take over my life.  A neat balancing act, I admit, but one I managed to pull off.

I got into ES rather gingerly, though, because I'd spent so much time in other areas.  But once in, I earned scanner, observer, and senior observer with some rapidity.  Six of my last seven years in the program I was a squadron CC and happier than I'd ever been.

The last year, on group staff, was nice ... but burnout had begun to set in.  So in 1996, I retired.  Now, eleven years later, I think I'm ready to try it again.

That's my tale.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

mikeylikey

^ Glad to still have you around Jack!  That is one of the best motivational CAP life stories I have ever read or heard.  You could write a book on that I am sure. 
What's up monkeys?

addo1

CAP is AWESOME!!! I have'nt even got my cadet application completed and I am loving it..  Everybody is so friendly!!
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

RogueLeader

Quote from: addo1 on August 16, 2007, 10:19:19 PM
  CAP is AWESOME!!! I have'nt even got my cadet application completed and I am loving it..  Everybody is so friendly!!

Glad you think so.;D We need cadets, you are our future.  Glad you are here. :) ;D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ColonelJack

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 16, 2007, 09:53:04 PM
^ Glad to still have you around Jack!  That is one of the best motivational CAP life stories I have ever read or heard.  You could write a book on that I am sure. 

Thank you.  As you might expect, that wasn't an easy thing to write.  (It was over 25 years ago and I still have trouble dealing with some of that stuff.)  I'm kind of glad I'm still here too ... and in large measure, I have CAP to thank for it.

As for writing a book ... BTDT.  Science fiction is my thing these days.  Check www.cafepress.com/coloneljack and see.   ;)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Skyray

QuoteScience fiction is my thing these days.

O.K., Colonel Jack, Now you should start a religion.  It worked for L.Ron Hubbard.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

AlphaSigOU

I started off as a cadet in CAP in December 1977 at Dekalb County Cadet Squadron, Georgia Wing. Commander at the time was the late and legendary Ron Bradford (a Maj at the time, but later became Lt Col). The squadron was strict in discipline and top-notch in ground-team operations; I can at least say I've rappelled off a 250' cliff at Whiteside Mountain in North Carolina when I was 13. Memories of traveling on the deuce-and-a half, the 'Gun Bus' and a few other myriad vehicles in Major B's collection are fond and plentiful, along with FTXs to places such as 'Zululand', Yonah Mountain, and 'Arm Pit'.

My mom's job transferred her to Miami, Florida in 1979 and the whole family followed shortly. Transferred to Florida Wing, where I joined University Cadet Squadron in Coral Gables. Progressed further in the cadet program until 1980, when we moved to the northern part of the county and it was too far to travel to University Cadet. The Martins (Joe Sr and Jr) were members of University Cadet WIWAC. (Finally saw 'em again at the SWR conference last year in Dallas.)

Transferred to North Miami Cadet Squadron, which was much smaller than UCS. SER Commander Col Dan Levitch (then a Capt) was my squadron commander briefly.  After some political turmoil and turnover of commanders we had the privilege of having then Capt (now Lt Col) Jan Kendrick command the squadron. Earned my Mitchell in 1981, and my Earhart in 1982, topping off at cadet major before heading off to a disastrous year of college at the University of Oklahoma in after graduating high school in 1983.

Let my cadet membership lapse at the end of 1984 and enlisted in the Air Force in '85; through a conversation I had with the dorm manager I found that Spangdahlem had an overseas cadet squadron, and I rejoined as a senior member, first as a TFO, then became a 1st Lt at 21. After leaving the Air Force, I transferred my membership to Fairfax County Composite. This was well before the days of Lt Col Bowden, though. Other interests (namely competition model rocketry) took precedence, and I let my membership lapse again... this time for 17 years.

A chance encounter with a couple of CAP senior members at the Plano Balloon Festival in 2005 rekindled my interest in CAP, and I rejoined a few weeks later. Of course, I've had to start all my training over again and had to get used to a totally different cadet program than I was used to, but I'm having a blast! Just recently promoted to Captain and got all my Level III requirements done, so in three more years I'll be hopefully sporting the 'golden bottlecaps' of a major.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ColonelJack

Quote from: Skyray on August 17, 2007, 03:26:00 PM
QuoteScience fiction is my thing these days.

O.K., Colonel Jack, Now you should start a religion.  It worked for L.Ron Hubbard.

I can see it now ... The Church Of ColonelJack!   :P

Nah, most normal people think L. Ron is a loony.  I'll just write more books.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

NEBoom

Well, I don't have time right now to write a detailed story, but I wanted to add to this thread.  So, in a nutshell:

CADET:  I joined for the flying opportunities, but found leadership fascinating.  The idea that little 'ol me could be  a leader just blew me away.  I learned things in leadership as a cadet that I still apply today (I'm 41 now...).

In CAP I found a group to belong to.  People who accepted me for who I was (warts and all).  That was very important to me at that time in my life.

SENIOR:  I just wanted to give back to the program.  I wanted to make sure the unit continued on so that young people that followed me would have the same opportunities to belong and to gain from being in CAP.  The reward was seeing a group of undisciplined little kids turn out to be a fine group of young adults.

TODAY:  I took a 7 year break from CAP.  In that time I made two career changes, got married to a wonderful woman with two teenage kids (and so went from complete bachelor to father of teenagers in one swoop...), and built a new house.  During that time (being fairly busy with other things) I pretty much purged all my attitudes about CAP.  On re-joining I found I had a much different view of CAP than I used to.  A better view, I think.  A bigger picture view for sure.  I'm strongly attracted to the potential CAP has to be a GREAT service organization for this country.  It's a tough road, but we have to keep moving toward that potential.  That's what is driving me today.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing