Main Menu

AE as Homeschool studies?

Started by Walkman, August 11, 2007, 09:55:39 PM

Walkman

My son is a brand new C/AB this month. We homeschool him and are tweaking the curriculum for the next year. Since I haven't had a chance to look into it (being a new SM myself), is the AE program something that we can put in as part of his science classes? How in-depth is it? Would it be best as a science class or another category?

His goal is to be an USAF pilot, so we're trying to make his sure his studies can help him in that goal.

Lancer

Absolutely. You can integrate a LOT of AE and other CAP topics into his studies. Pretty much everything if you think about it, you can cover Science, History, Math, Spelling, Civics. Integrate it as much as you would like. There are a vast amount of teaching materials you can use as well.

Speak to your unit and/or group AEO about what your looking to do.

MIKE

The text that cadet officers (and seniors) use is a bit more in depth.  IIRC it is being used by some colleges as part of an entry level course.  Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience with the AE modules... I used the previous text as a cadork.
Mike Johnston

Walkman

Sweet.

Follow up question:
Since cadets are in until they are 18, can I assume that we'd have more than one years worth of material?

As an aside, he's a WWII history nut (at 13). So far, we've only glanced over the subject, but in the future, we'll add the CAP histry element to it as well.

MIKE

It would usually take a cadet at least 18 months to get through the modules in the course of progression... Then there is the phase III/IV text I mentioned that follows.
Mike Johnston

Lancer

Quote from: Walkman on August 11, 2007, 10:10:35 PM
Sweet.

Follow up question:
Since cadets are in until they are 18, can I assume that we'd have more than one years worth of material?

As an aside, he's a WWII history nut (at 13). So far, we've only glanced over the subject, but in the future, we'll add the CAP histry element to it as well.

You can be a cadet until you turn 21. :-)

Actually, you'll want to be careful just HOW much you integrate the materials. The curriculum is intended to be used by students who attend a standard school program where this is secondary and knowledge of the subject matter is meant to be digested every two months, at least Phase I.

You can always look to outside sources for AE materials. I'd say home schooled cadets have an advantage over 'regular' cadets in the academic arena.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Walkman on August 11, 2007, 10:10:35 PM

As an aside, he's a WWII history nut (at 13).
A quick detour off the thread, but I think that is great. I've been a WWII nut since second grade, since I was 8 or so.  Loving History and at that time frame makes it that much easier to be able to get into the science aspect of AE.  Good for him, and good luck to you.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Walkman

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 12, 2007, 04:37:54 AM
Good for him, and good luck to you.

Thanks!

I noticed in a back issue of Volunteer PDF an article about home-schooled cadets. Good stuff.

jimmydeanno

My old squadron had a girl who was home-schooled and did just this.

She was able to obtain credit for almost every part of the CAP cirriculum, AE as a science credit, leadership as a civics credit, PT as a phys ed credit, etc.

It worked well for her, however, I don't know how your cirriculum would work, but if your working with the AE book as a textbook for a daily AE class, you might get through it rather quickly - unless you expand on the topics themselves. 

The AE book (can be found at http://www.capnhq.gov > login > left column, third link - Aerospace: The Journey of Flight), is designed to be studied by a cadet in addition to their normal school work, so usually about 5 hours per chapter.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ladyreferee

I have homeschooled my two cadets for the last five years.  Due to increasing work commitments (my husband and I own an engineering firm) I've had to double my work output and I put both boys back into public school this year.  One will be graduating with his peers and one will be starting high school.  When I talked to the guidance counselor I brought along a huge portfolio of my senior's education, which included CAP information about how many credits can be given for the program from the National Education Standards.  I will see if I can find the link for you.  He received so many credits from CAP that he could already graduate without taking any more classes. He is a C/2d Lt.
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

Psicorp

Outstanding, congrats for making the commitment (to him and to yourself (learning never stops)).

I second what Lt. Curtis said...an aerospace education can encompass all the core study areas.   For example, a rocketry exercise which includes researching and writing a paper on a given rocket, building and determining center of gravity, and calculating the altitude at apogee.

Check out CAP's school programs, lots of information there, as well as any AF JROTC programs. 

Good luck!
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

ladyreferee

Found it!  http://level2.cap.gov/index.cfm?nodeID=5521
They have broken down the units with the standards so it is easier to work for homeschoolers.

Also this link is the one http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_081503124327.pdf that lists all the National Standards that are covered.  Use these links - I have found so much information on the national CAP website - http://level2.cap.gov/index.cfm?nodeID=5511 that much of the membership doesn't even know about.  http://level2.cap.gov/index.cfm?nodeID=5176

Good luck!
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP