In praise of the Professional Development Weekend...

Started by Major Carrales, August 10, 2007, 08:23:01 PM

Major Carrales

Contrary to its origins and the "black cloud" that surrounds them... I had a chance to to discuss the Professional Development Weekend of the Florida Wing with Smilin' Kach at the Atlanta Airport.

I have always maintained that we should capitalize on our CAP functions.  As CAP Officers and Cadets living in an isolated frontier area, travel to functions in large wings like Texas and California.  Concentrating training in one area, while a short bit of a lot of work, is a good idea.

Run like a mission, it is one of the better ideas.

Any ther wings do this?  How does Iowa make these things happen?  Could this work for Texas...even if only at the Group Level?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Skyray

If you can get Ray Hayden away from his monomania, I understand that he organizes and presents a stellar professional development seminar.  I am sure that there are some people around here that are familiar with the concept, and even without Hayden I think that they are a good idea. One spectacular argument over a 108 should not herald the death of a program.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

SarDragon

As indicated in other threads, CAWG Group 3 held a PDW earlier this year. To me, it was a spectacular success. We had students and instructors from all over the wing, and the social time was as useful as the classroom time. I think putting SLS and CLC online would be a step backward for the two courses.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: SarDragon on August 10, 2007, 08:44:45 PM
I think putting SLS and CLC online would be a step backward for the two courses.

^ Agree Heartily
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JohnKachenmeister

You appoint a "PDW Coodinator" and he does the following:

1.  Gets a suitable site, either a military base with classroom facilities (preferred) or a hotel with conference rooms.

2.  Decides what will be taught... SLS and CLC are usually basic.  But a UCC, TLC, or some specialized training (A-CUT/B-CUT?) can happen as well.

3.  Appoints an OIC for each class.

4.  Arranges for refreshments... donuts and coffee.

The OIC of each class:

1.  Locates instructors

2.  Develops the schedule

3.  Arranges for the CAP form 11 to go into Wing

4.  Serves as moderator, master of ceremonies, introduces instructors.

5.  Prepares handout material, or arranges for the instructors to do so.

6.  Assists in solving individual problems, hotels, local transport, etc.

PDW's are a little labor-intensive, but not really hard to do.
Another former CAP officer

Skyray

Thanks for an excellent checklist, Kach.  I didn't realize until the last couple of days that you were a denizen of Florida.  I also got hints that you were in Jacksonville.  Are you the LEO that I used to have friendly banter with on the Florida reflector during my rather noisy exit in 1999?  I clearly remember that I was transiting Jacksonville in the early morning hours driving to North Carolina and you advised me to observe the posted limit because you were on duty that night. My normal modus operandi in those days was to drive up in the early morning hours a day before the Wing Staff meeting and stay at a hotel in Burlington.  That way I got a half day free at the hotel.  Nobody said I wasn't cheap.  Good times, they were.  I should have never transferred back.

Anyway, enough maudlin memories.  Anybody who is interested in Professional Development would be well served to copy Major Kachenmeister's check list and follow it.
Doug Johnson - Miami

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Skyray on August 11, 2007, 05:00:28 PM
Thanks for an excellent checklist, Kach.  I didn't realize until the last couple of days that you were a denizen of Florida.  I also got hints that you were in Jacksonville.  Are you the LEO that I used to have friendly banter with on the Florida reflector during my rather noisy exit in 1999?  I clearly remember that I was transiting Jacksonville in the early morning hours driving to North Carolina and you advised me to observe the posted limit because you were on duty that night. My normal modus operandi in those days was to drive up in the early morning hours a day before the Wing Staff meeting and stay at a hotel in Burlington.  That way I got a half day free at the hotel.  Nobody said I wasn't cheap.  Good times, they were.  I should have never transferred back.

Anyway, enough maudlin memories.  Anybody who is interested in Professional Development would be well served to copy Major Kachenmeister's check list and follow it.

Actually, I live south of Jacksonville.   I live in Viera, which is between Cocoa and Melbourne.  I was a police officer in Ohio, and retired from the Toledo Police Dept. in 2001.  Now I work as a part-time campus security officer at our local community college to support my flying habit.

Skyray

OK, wrong guy.  Doc tells me it is going to happen to me more and more often as I get older and older.  I was in love in Toledo in the mid 70s, but I don't remember much abouit her either.  I do vaguely remember a good Mexican Restruant near the airport.

That flying is expensive, isn't it?  I ran a small FBO operation for a while, and pretty much all it ever did was pay for my gas.
Doug Johnson - Miami

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Skyray on August 12, 2007, 12:10:41 AM
OK, wrong guy.  Doc tells me it is going to happen to me more and more often as I get older and older.  I was in love in Toledo in the mid 70s, but I don't remember much abouit her either.  I do vaguely remember a good Mexican Restruant near the airport.

That flying is expensive, isn't it?  I ran a small FBO operation for a while, and pretty much all it ever did was pay for my gas.

If you remember the 70's, you weren't really there.

Major Carrales

I have to praise Hayden's work on the PDW activity, capitalizing on CAP activities allows folks to meet each other before they have to meet randomly at SARex and REDCAP.  It also allows a Wing to sort of "flex" its muscles.

So much of what is done in CAP is done in isolated corners and a greater overall expense.  Concentrated training, almost like a mini-Wing Coference, is best.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JC004

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 12, 2007, 05:37:43 AM
I have to praise Hayden's work on the PDW activity, capitalizing on CAP activities allows folks to meet each other before they have to meet randomly at SARex and REDCAP.  It also allows a Wing to sort of "flex" its muscles.

So much of what is done in CAP is done in isolated corners and a greater overall expense.  Concentrated training, almost like a mini-Wing Coference, is best.

GASP!  THE NAME!

Skyray

QuoteGASP!  THE NAME!

That is a major lesson that needs to be learned in volunteer organizations.  Just because someone has warts doesn't mean they don't have excellent ideas.  I had to laugh at Leo Burke who said he still liked Amy even though she had fired him three times.  Says a great deal about both their leadership qualities.
Doug Johnson - Miami

JC004

Quote from: Skyray on August 12, 2007, 05:57:18 AM
QuoteGASP!  THE NAME!

That is a major lesson that needs to be learned in volunteer organizations.  Just because someone has warts doesn't mean they don't have excellent ideas.  I had to laugh at Leo Burke who said he still liked Amy even though she had fired him three times.  Says a great deal about both their leadership qualities.

my point.   :)

lordmonar

Quote from: Skyray on August 12, 2007, 05:57:18 AM
QuoteGASP!  THE NAME!

You know....everyone would give Ray credit for everthing he is doing and did in the past if he would just take our orginial advice and shut the heck up!

I will say it apprears that he did good thing in Florida with the PDW and that is a dirty thankless job.  good for him.   So there you go...one "ataboy".
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Skyray

Yeah, Patrick, but you have been around long enough to know it takes ten thousand "ataboys" to wipe out one "aw sheet."
Doug Johnson - Miami

arajca

I talked to my wing Dep. PDO yesterday about doing a PDW. She felt it would be too much work for her, since she ends up doind most of the legwork for the course directors. It seems I am an exception - she keep asking me what help I need, but I have it under control. I just have her double check what I am doing - this is my first time as a course director (TLC) - and answer questions like "Is any funding available?" (no).

But then again, I was the Training Officer for my Haz Mat Team for five years...

Eclipse

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 11, 2007, 04:16:20 PM
You appoint a "PDW Coodinator" and he does the following:

1.  Gets a suitable site, either a military base with classroom facilities (preferred) or a hotel with conference rooms.

2.  Decides what will be taught... SLS and CLC are usually basic.  But a UCC, TLC, or some specialized training (A-CUT/B-CUT?) can happen as well.

3.  Appoints an OIC for each class.

4.  Arranges for refreshments... donuts and coffee.

The OIC of each class:

1.  Locates instructors

2.  Develops the schedule

3.  Arranges for the CAP form 11 to go into Wing

4.  Serves as moderator, master of ceremonies, introduces instructors.

5.  Prepares handout material, or arranges for the instructors to do so.

6.  Assists in solving individual problems, hotels, local transport, etc.

PDW's are a little labor-intensive, but not really hard to do.

Sounds to me exactly like a standard SLS/CLC weekend done in most states on a regular basis - by Nov my wing will have done four this year.  One will coincide with an annual banquet.

"That Others May Zoom"

Skyray

QuoteYeah, Patrick, but you have been around long enough to know it takes ten thousand "ataboys" to wipe out one "aw sheet."

I got blasted back channel for giving you guys ammunition to diss Ray when he doesn't deserve it.  I went back and reviewed my posts, and this is about the worst thing I said about him.  Florida is a morass, and as I understand it Ray was being wrongfully terminated in a disagreement over a 108 at a PDW weekend that he organized.  A disagreement over paperwork is not grounds for termination anywhere but in Florida.  I personally have been responsible for getting three squadron commanders relieved for no worse sin than accepting my membership application when the Posse didn't want them to.  That said, I don't know much about this fight, but I do know that Ray Hayden has a lot of friends down here who are afraid to speak up because Pineda's Posse still runs the place, and speaking up can get you terminated.  One of them blasted me back channel, and this post is the result.
Doug Johnson - Miami