So I went to the PAO Academy!!! Guess who I saw...

Started by Major Carrales, August 09, 2007, 05:35:18 AM

Major Carrales

So, I've attended the Inaugural PAO Academy in Atlanta, Ga.  I was able to meet Dr Dave Miller and LASUPPLYGUY and a few others that responded to the "I'm leaving for Atlanta" thread (which seems to be locked... ???)

Well, I had to return home today (8 August) much to my great sadness (I had a great time and had a chance to meet a lot of people like the Colson's of Idaho and "Mr P" (you know who you are)  Charlie Gelfand (of Dallas, with whom I discussed issues from Religion to Dry Cleaning...of which the man is an expert in both) as well as Patricia Stanton (of the Virginia, with whom Charlie and I took CAP to some of the other Conventions in progress at the Marriot Marquis.)

I was also glad that I finally met Aveighter, a long time FORUM FRIEND going back to the Civil Air Portal and my primordial CAPBLOG days.  We discussed many issues about CAP operations and other issues in CAP over a lunch.

The Brigadier General and Col Greenhut stood out as very confident...very professional...leaders amoung some outstanding presenters.  Public Affairs is going to get serious...and these folks are just the people to make it happen.

These are but a few of the folks I met, please chime in if I missed you.

A most unusual and MOMENTOUS meeting happened serendipitously...the odds of this are so astronomical I wonder if I dreamt it.

This was my first time at the Atlanta airport, it's huge (Corpus Christi international would be a closet there)  One can take a train or walk it.  I chose to walk it...you know, physical fitness and all that.  Plus, I had several hours to kill.

As I am walking the tunnels under the various concourses I hear someone yelling... "SPARKY! SPARKY!"

I looked around...and low and behold..."HOLY TOLEDO!"

The FIRST REAL LIFE (live action) meeting of "Smilin' Kach" and "Sparky."  John Kachenmeister, having come back from some business in Ohio (in wholly in Toledo to be exact) had a 2 hour layover...I had a two hour wait.

I am glad I met him there.  We even had our first ADVENTURE as we got into a discussion on foreign language with a lady in the "CLUB" (let just say GERMAN and SPANISH and ENGLISH were involved)

We talked over drinks (lots of sparks about to fly and neither of us would be there to see what catches...fire) exchanges some stories and expressed regrets that we are not in the same WING (however, we both agreed that is likely for the best since...based on those few minutes...we would likely be a "dangerous" force of practical joke, witty puns, jokes of all colours, ADVENTURES of all sorts and general good will that the CIVIL AIR PATROL is not yet ready to endure.

The time came and went, then we parted ways...he SOUTH...me WEST!

No matter where you blokes are...drink a toast...

May we all one day meet in good spirits (either type or all), here's to those occasions when we do!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JC004

sounds like trouble.  Was there cartoon brainstorming?

Major Carrales

Quote from: JC004 on August 09, 2007, 05:47:34 AM
sounds like trouble.  Was there cartoon brainstorming?

Kach loads 'em, and I shoot 'em.

I'll wait until he has and a chance to process this one.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

I was boarding the train to go from Concourse D to Councourse B, and already had planned to buy a 1-day membership in the Crown Room Club.  (Free drinks for a $25 membership.  I can drink WAY more than $25 in an airport bar in 2 1/2 hours.)

As I'm getting on the train, I spot a guy wearing a CAP uniform, and looking pretty sharp.  I realize it looks like Carrales, having seen his picture. 

THEN I spotted the service cap under his arm.  NOBODY except Carralles would wear a service cap in travel status!

I shout out a "Sparky" or two, and take him with me as a guest into the Crown Roon, allowing me to appear generous with Delta Air Lines' rum and cokes.

As might be expected for two comic-book heroes, a discussion of languages turned into a chance meeting with an attractive doctor... an oncologist from Argentina who lives in Rhode Island.  The three of us conversed alternately in Spanish (Her and Sparky were good, I tried to keep up) German (There are a lot of Germans in Argentina hiding out from the Simon Wiesenthal Center, so she could understand, but Sparky was lost) and English.

Time marches on, and we had to stay in step to avoid missing our planes.

I was in Toledo testifying before a Federal Grand Jury into some racketeering investigation I got involved in as a cop back in Ohio.  I was changing planes in Atlanta.  Remember... if you die and go to Hell, you have to go through Atlanta to get there.
Another former CAP officer

ZigZag911

Sparky -- Col Greenhut, our former NER CC is a heck of a fine speaker, and sharp as  a tack overall!

Interesting how you and Kach 'happened' to meet in the airport....sounds like a secret meeting to me!

RogueLeader

Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 09, 2007, 05:57:22 PM
Sparky -- Col Greenhut, our former NER CC is a heck of a fine speaker, and sharp as  a tack overall!

Interesting how you and Kach 'happened' to meet in the airport....sounds like a secret meeting to me!
Another conspiracy theory?  ::)

Back to your regularly scheduled thread. . . . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Skyray

Bac-Si Kach has exemplary situational awareness, and he realized that only Sparky would wear a service cover and carry it properly.  When he saw this phenomenon in ATL, history was made.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Major Carrales

Quote from: Skyray on August 09, 2007, 07:05:51 PM
Bac-Si Kach has exemplary situational awareness, and he realized that only Sparky would wear a service cover and carry it properly.  When he saw this phenomenon in ATL, history was made.

I kept my eye open for "golf shirted" CAP officers, but didn't see a one.  I try to travel light to such CAP activities and fly in my uniform for various reasons...

1) CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1. Wearing the CAP Uniform

"when engaged in normal duties as a CAP member or attending local, wing/region, or national CAP functions"

"may wear service dress uniform or light blue, short or long sleeve shirt/blouse with tie/tab and the all-weather coat, overcoat, and raincoat when traveling by commercial means (other than to and from local CAP activities)

This is, to me, a sort of informational almost recruiting tool.  People should see us in uniform.

2) So other CAP Officers will see me and make contact. (as worked this occasion)

3) I was going to the PAO Academy, a National level activity.  I felt important.  Call it selfish if you will, but I felt I had purpose.

4) I like to travel light and fear lost luggage.   Also, I try only to take things I don't mind being stolen and that hwich I must have.  It's better for me and for the Airline to have one item of checked luggage (when possible) and one carry on, for personal effects tat might be sensitive (like a lap top or items purchased for the folks back home.

Plus, If my luggage was lost, stolen or destroyed, I would at least have one full uniform with me.

Wearing a uniform is not a burden to me...it's clothes.  I have to wear clothes anyway.  I normally dress with a button shirt, some trousers and a hat (fedora)...it made sense to me.

It would be nice, I must say, if we did wear CAP clothes (a CAP BALL CAP, a unifrom as shown in the regulations) or the GOLF SHIRT COMBO (how's that for kick, me finding an additional use for that COMBO...go figure) that way we might network on the concourse (or club) with other CAP officers during layovers.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 09, 2007, 11:22:03 PMI kept my eye open for "golf shirted" CAP officers, but didn't see a one.  I try to travel light to such CAP activities and fly in my uniform for various reasons...

Saw a guy get up to speak at the podium during the live feed wearing one.  His trousers might not have been gray also.  Looked rather light.  Did not seem appropriate as everyone else seemed to be in either service dress or service uniform or the corporate/distinctive equivalents thereof.
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: MIKE on August 10, 2007, 12:19:53 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 09, 2007, 11:22:03 PMI kept my eye open for "golf shirted" CAP officers, but didn't see a one.  I try to travel light to such CAP activities and fly in my uniform for various reasons...

Saw a guy get up to speak at the podium during the live feed wearing one.  His trousers might not have been gray also.  Looked rather light.  Did not seem appropriate as everyone else seemed to be in either service dress or service uniform or the corporate/distinctive equivalents thereof.

I meant at the Airport.

I am, as I suspect you are, a believer in Service Dress for Wing, Region and National Conference Activities.  These are the "most high" CAP activities, the culture should be one of LONG SLEEVE SERVICE DRESS and up, albiet way short of MESS DRESS.  The later is for the Banquet, which I think should be SERVICE COAT and UP.

MIKE, one day I hope to meet you in person.  I assume you are the same MIKE as was photoed in the CAP VOLUNTEER a few issues back.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 10, 2007, 01:40:56 AM
I am, as I suspect you are, a believer in Service Dress for Wing, Region and National Conference Activities.

I wear the UoD, if specified.  Last couple of times it has been short sleeved shirt sans tie.  Wing lets you wear service dress for the banquet, but region said no dice.  Had to wear mess dress or civies that I didn't have.

Point of education:  As was pointed out to me as a young 1st Lt.  Service Dress is the uniform combination with the service coat.  There is no such thing as long/short sleeved service dress.  These are Service Uniform combinations.

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 10, 2007, 01:40:56 AMI assume you are the same MIKE as was photoed in the CAP VOLUNTEER a few issues back.

What photo was that?  I don't recall ever having my mug in the VOLUNTEER or CAP News.

Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: MIKE on August 10, 2007, 01:52:10 AM

What photo was that?  I don't recall ever having my mug in the VOLUNTEER or CAP News.

I'm sorry, I was mistaken.  The photo is of a 1st Lt Mark Johnston in the initial issue of the CAP Volunteer page 27.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 09, 2007, 03:55:50 PM
As might be expected for two comic-book heroes, a discussion of languages turned into a chance meeting with an attractive doctor... an oncologist from Argentina who lives in Rhode Island.  The three of us conversed alternately in Spanish (Her and Sparky were good, I tried to keep up) German (There are a lot of Germans in Argentina hiding out from the Simon Wiesenthal Center, so she could understand, but Sparky was lost) and English.

John, it was wonderful meeting you.  I think more of us should identify each other at airports and pass the time.  I mean, two hours can pass in two ways...1) Siting at or near the gate counting the "year long" seconds while countless individuals in a crowded room go their best to avoid you or, 2) sitting in a club or eatery with someone from CAP discussing things from Shop to personal life.  With Kach it was like meeting an old friend, except this was for the first time.

I wonder, in a give crowded venue, a mall...an airport concourse...a sporting event, how many CAP officers and Cadets I've sat next to?

This was my first time flying since before 9-11, when I left Corpus Christi, Texas I felt like was was totally alone in the world, cut off and out of my element.   Meeting what I would call a CAP legend, was nice.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Skyray

The world of air travel is amazingly small.  Years ago I had a friend who was an undercover DEA agent out of Addison and you would be amazed at how often I met him in an airport.  Frequently DFW, but pretty often at ATL or EWR.  Rather than do the embarrassed double take, I would address him directly and say, you know, your face is very familiar, but I have forgotten your name.  That would allow him to give me whatever pseudonym he was using at the time, and my "Oh, yeah" lent him credibility.  I also used to see Wally Schirra all over the east coast in airports.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Psicorp

Out of curiosity, how often do you all wear the uniform when flying commercial flights, even if it's not to a CAP function?   

Most of my flights are business related and I'm considered to be "on duty", so I've never felt it was appropriate.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Major Carrales

Quote from: Psicorp on August 10, 2007, 07:24:43 PM
Out of curiosity, how often do you all wear the uniform when flying commercial flights, even if it's not to a CAP function?   

Most of my flights are business related and I'm considered to be "on duty", so I've never felt it was appropriate.

I would leave it up to the member.  If you wear a uniform, be prepared to be an on site PAO answering questions about CAP.  I suspect that is why it is allowed.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DrDave

I typically wear the golf shirt and grey slacks combo when traveling to a CAP event.

Want to make sure I'm covered legally in case something bad happens! :)

Just kidding. 

(Actually, funny story.  Two of us went through security at the Atlanta airport in CAP uniform on our way back as we didn't have time to change.  I'm in corporate whites and my buddy's in full blues.  While this didn't move us through any faster I think it helped our luggage get through the xray machine without complication because the tech yells over to us, "Hey, you guys Air Force?"  Of course, we did some quick recruiting ...)

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

RiverAux

Isn't there some reg somewhere about wearing CAP uniforms while traveling commercially? 

DHollywood

Quote from: RiverAux on August 10, 2007, 08:33:57 PM
Isn't there some reg somewhere about wearing CAP uniforms while traveling commercially? 

Yep.... CAPR 39-1

Its permitted to wear the service uniform (blues with or without the coat) and inherently permitted to wear the CAP Corporate equivilant uniform.

Coming back from NESA several weeks back there was a cadet LTC in BDU's running around the airport.  EVERYONE including him had time to chance into civilian clothing and I regret not calling him out on the issue.
account deleted by member

NIN

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 09, 2007, 03:55:50 PMRemember... if you die and go to Hell, you have to go through Atlanta to get there.

Years ago, when Billy Crystal was on SNL, he did a bit as "Yul Brynner's sister, Kitty Brynner, travel agent.." and they cut to him with the bald head in a dress with a string of pearls, and (s)he's saying on the phone (in a thick pseudo-Yul Brynner accent): "No, no... You cannot get there from here. You have to change planes in Atlanta..."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Major Carrales

Quote from: NIN on August 11, 2007, 03:33:42 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 09, 2007, 03:55:50 PMRemember... if you die and go to Hell, you have to go through Atlanta to get there.

Years ago, when Billy Crystal was on SNL, he did a bit as "Yul Brynner's sister, Kitty Brynner, travel agent.." and they cut to him with the bald head in a dress with a string of pearls, and (s)he's saying on the phone (in a thick pseudo-Yul Brynner accent): "No, no... You cannot get there from here. You have to change planes in Atlanta..."
I actually liked Atlanta's airport...er...CITY...uh...STARBASE!

But, as to KAch's comments, wouldn't it be weird if the Atlanta Airport was PURGATORY.  I mean, really...if not for running into Kach,  (as I've said before) all we do at terminals is try to avoid actually looking at one another and going out of our way to be alone in a crowded concourse.  Who knows who gets dumped there until they have an opening up there...or down there.

Maybe that is CONCOURSE H!

Commander
SWR-TX-454