ARCHER TRAINING now online..

Started by abysmal, May 28, 2005, 04:00:38 AM

abysmal

https://tests.cap.af.mil/ops/archer_training/archer_hsi_tech/index.cfm

CAP's ARCHER program has the intense interest of the highest levels of the US Government. Because of this it is critical that we select our very best people to train and operate the system.

The ARCHER contractor will provide training for 162 CAP members. This will permit an initial cadre of approximately 10 highly trained ARCHER operators per system. ARCHER trainee selection will be a very competitive process. Recommend members who take this course not discuss the material with other members because doing so could result in other people gaining an advantage (and getting selected) over you! The test associated with this preliminary training may only be taken once.

The online training course is open to everyone but only adult members, who are US Citizens, will be able to attend the three day formal training course that is given by the contractor. Formal training candidates must first successfully complete the online ARCHER training screening course and exam. Those members successfully completing the screening exam will then be considered as candidates to attend ARCHER training. Wing and Region Commanders will use the results of the screening exam to nominate CAP members for ARCHER training. In addition to test scores, Wing and Region Commanders will consider a CAP member's dedication/commitment to the organization and past history of availability to perform missions. The Advanced Technology Group will use the Wing/Region Commander nominations and make final selections based on test scores, aptitude assessment, and geographical basing of the ARCHER systems.

It is important to note that only those members who receive formal ARCHER training and successfully complete the course will be certified to operate ARCHER. ARCHER training is an intensive three day course which will be conducted at Mojave, CA and Maxwell AFB, AL. Members selected to attend ARCHER training will have travel, hotel and other expenses paid by CAP. Thank you for your interest in the ARCHER program!
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Pylon

Several days ago I was bored and taking a bunch of online tests like AEPSM and FEMA ICS-200, 300, etc.  and I noticed that ARCHER test in the CAP online testing system and read that same spiel.   

What's the deal with it?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major_Chuck

To operate the ARCHER system they are looking for interested people that will be ready to man them on the GA8 Airvans when they are fielded.

The online test is a screening process to check for apptitutde to use the system.  I took it last week and consider myself fairly intelligent but I  honestly feel it is geared towards someone with a PhD.  (No offense to any PhD's out there.  Mike isn't that what your degree was???)

People that pass the prescreening and are selected by their Wing and Region Commanders will be the first cadre of ARCHER trainers for CAP and come back to their wings to be the trainers.  They are looking for 10 trained users for each wing.

The hitch, if you are not ARCHER qualified you won't use the system.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Schmidty06

So I, a cadet that is 17 years old and thus has no aircrew rating might as well just forget this, right?

whatevah

Quote from: Schmidty06 on May 28, 2005, 07:18:47 PM
So I, a cadet that is 17 years old and thus has no aircrew rating might as well just forget this, right?
correct.  honestly, even if you were 18 or 19 and observer rating, you would still have to forget it if you were still a cadet. ::)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

MIKE

Quote from: Schmidty06 on May 28, 2005, 07:18:47 PM

Don't waste your time.  It seems like the vast majority of us who might be interested would be better off waiting until this equipment arrives in our respective wings and seek training then.  I'm interested, but I would want to get some aircrew training in first... I'm no PhD to be sure!  :D

I would think that they would be looking for people who already active aircrew members... Scanners and observers with a lot of hours.  Probably people who are already skills evaluators also.  

Edit:  And I think Jerry is right... If you are a cadet it ain't gonna happen. Probably not even if you go SM or flight officer.
Mike Johnston

Major_Chuck

Right now this is strictly senior members for the initial training.  Three days out in the Mohave Desert and then three days at Maxwell AFB. 

If I understand the system correctly however it is different then the traditional roles of observers and scanners.  Observers and Scanners are are trained to visual look for targets and stuff on the ground.  With ARCHER it is different.

The ARCHER system does the looking.  The ARCHER Operator interprets what the system has found by matching the reflected signal to preloaded matches in its database.

ARCHER (and I hope I am correct in passing this along) works off of the reflected light of the target.  ARCHER works on the color spectrum and how it is reflected back to the system aboard the airframe.  The cowling from a Cessna may be scanned into the ARCHER database.  When the light reflected off of the cowling in the field bounces back to ARCHER aboard the aircraft the system matches the signal to that in the database.

The ARCHER Operator won't be looking out the windows of the aircraft or searching a grid.  They will be monitoring the signals and attempting to identify what the found image is.

Hope this helps being a non PhD.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

whatevah

yeah, that's pretty much how it works.  it measures the wavelength and compares it to known samples.

the software has a few options, you can have it just highlight anything that doesn't appear to belong there, or even search for a specific item.

somehow, I expect these things will be used to hunt for drugs with the CD flights, I lot.  hehe
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Pylon

Quote from: whatevah
somehow, I expect these things will be used to hunt for drugs with the CD flights, I lot.  hehe

I imagine.  It would probably make spotting certain things from the air, located in the middle of similar colored foiliage, a ton easier!    :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major_Chuck

I think it is a great system and I hope that I am selected to go.  If not I'll try and get onboard with it here when that days comes.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

arajca

Quote from: Major_Chuck on May 29, 2005, 02:56:00 AM
Right now this is strictly senior members for the initial training.  Three days out in the Mohave Desert and then three days at Maxwell AFB. 

If I understand the system correctly however it is different then the traditional roles of observers and scanners.  Observers and Scanners are are trained to visual look for targets and stuff on the ground.  With ARCHER it is different.

The ARCHER system does the looking.  The ARCHER Operator interprets what the system has found by matching the reflected signal to preloaded matches in its database.

ARCHER (and I hope I am correct in passing this along) works off of the reflected light of the target.  ARCHER works on the color spectrum and how it is reflected back to the system aboard the airframe.  The cowling from a Cessna may be scanned into the ARCHER database.  When the light reflected off of the cowling in the field bounces back to ARCHER aboard the aircraft the system matches the signal to that in the database.

The ARCHER Operator won't be looking out the windows of the aircraft or searching a grid.  They will be monitoring the signals and attempting to identify what the found image is.

According to John Salvador, the ARCHER cannot accurately detect something less than one square meter in size. Which means there will still be a need for regular aircrews. Also, it can only work in daylight - it needs the sun's light to be reflected.

Schmidty06

Quote from: arajca on May 29, 2005, 05:04:44 AM
Quote from: Major_Chuck on May 29, 2005, 02:56:00 AM

According to John Salvador, the ARCHER cannot accurately detect something less than one square meter in size. Which means there will still be a need for regular aircrews. Also, it can only work in daylight - it needs the sun's light to be reflected.

Unless you're looking for campfires or light signals from survivors or lost persons, it's the same problem with normal aircrews, too.  heh, that was off topic.

Major_Chuck

ARCHER is definetly not a replacement to Observers and Scanners but an additional tool for us to use.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Schmidty06

Major_Chuck

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Schmidty06