Medals or just Ribbons

Started by Hobbsh1, July 20, 2007, 06:22:42 PM

RogueLeader

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 25, 2007, 07:10:45 PM
. . . many people above our pay grade don't pay attention.
We have a pay grade. . . . . . Whoo hooo!!!!! I'm rich. . . . . . .. . oh wait. . . .[darn]
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

davedove

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 25, 2007, 07:16:21 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on July 25, 2007, 07:10:45 PM
. . . many people above our pay grade don't pay attention.
We have a pay grade. . . . . . Whoo hooo!!!!! I'm rich. . . . . . .. . oh wait. . . .[darn]

Sure, didn't anyone tell you?  Your pay doubles with each promotion. :D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

RogueLeader

Yeah I just checked the mail, and my latest check was in there.  The total $00.00, which is up from $0.00.  8)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

And just what percentage of CAP members currently own a uniform upon which they could actually wear medals of any size?  At our last few Wing banquets probably less than 10% of attendees (maybe more like 5%) were wearing them.  What is the percentage where you are?

Seems to me if that few CAP members are actually choosing to purchase and wear a particular type of uniform it should probably just be scrapped as unnecessary.  That would solve the medal issue. 

Flying Pig

Is there really a "medal issue"?   I think the mess dress looks very sharp.  I told myself that if I ever made it tot Group Commander or higher I may spring for one.  I see them worn in Ca often enough.

jimmydeanno

[Off topic]

On a side note, Vanguard won't tell you this, but you can order the bullion insignia separately from the shoulder boards for the mess dress.  So when you get promoted, you can remove the old insignia and use some fabric glue to put the new ones on (it's what they do in the first place).

Bullion insignia: ~$5.00
Shoulder Boards: ~$46.00

you do the math :)

[/off topic]

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davedove

Quote from: RiverAux on July 26, 2007, 03:24:50 AM
And just what percentage of CAP members currently own a uniform upon which they could actually wear medals of any size?  At our last few Wing banquets probably less than 10% of attendees (maybe more like 5%) were wearing them.  What is the percentage where you are?

Seems to me if that few CAP members are actually choosing to purchase and wear a particular type of uniform it should probably just be scrapped as unnecessary.  That would solve the medal issue. 

I think the discussion has evolved into more of a "What would be nice to have?" issue.  There is no reall "need" for any of the medals.  What some of us are saying is that a full sized medal would be more meaningful in some cases.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

Sgt. Savage

And now comes the next problem...

If you make some medals full size and leave some mini, and you can't mix them, you can never wear a full rack of full size. If they can't all be done full size, leave them be.

davedove

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on July 26, 2007, 01:18:48 PM
And now comes the next problem...

If you make some medals full size and leave some mini, and you can't mix them, you can never wear a full rack of full size. If they can't all be done full size, leave them be.

Granted, since CAP has already made mini's for all the awards, it complicates the issue.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

ColonelJack

Do you really believe there won't be a market for full-size gongs, whether we limit them to the highest training awards and the personal decorations or make all of the ribbon styles as available ones?  I can assure you that many members (some who post here) would indeed buy them, even if we don't have a uniform to wear them on.  I have a shadowbox of my ROTC, active-duty AF, and CAP awards and there's plenty of room for full-sized gongs for CAP (joining the AF ones and the ROTC medals I have).

I'd buy them.  So would many of you.  So why not make them available?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Sgt. Savage

I'm not saying don't make them available. I'm just kinda taking an all or nothing position.

Grumpy

I think CAP ought to keep the medal count down to the three they already have, get rid of all the other medals and just make them ribbons.  The medals would mean that much more.

Just a thought.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Grumpy on July 26, 2007, 03:53:26 PM
I think CAP ought to keep the medal count down to the three they already have, get rid of all the other medals and just make them ribbons.  The medals would mean that much more.

Just a thought.

Of course, that would mean the majority of Officers (who don't have the SMV, BMV, or DSM) would have nothing at all to wear on their mess dress.

Somehow, I don't think that would fly.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

BrettBultsma

I recently received the AFA Cadet of the Year award, and I was wondering where the medal is worn. Can it be worn on standard dress blues along with the ribbon? If so where is it placed.

Thanks,
C/SSgt Bultsma

jimmydeanno

Quote from: BrettBultsma on January 27, 2011, 04:10:05 AM
I recently received the AFA Cadet of the Year award, and I was wondering where the medal is worn. Can it be worn on standard dress blues along with the ribbon? If so where is it placed.

Thanks,
C/SSgt Bultsma

You can never wear it.  Only the ribbon can be worn.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Carrales

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 27, 2011, 04:13:30 AM

Thanks,
C/SSgt Bultsma

You can never wear it.  Only the ribbon can be worn.

Correct, it is for shadowbox display.  It can be "pin on you" for ceremonial purposes the day it is awarded for press releases, but these awards are not worn as JROTC ones are.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

flyboy53

OK, first of all the reason why ALMOST every CAP ribbon translates to a minature medal is because the medals were designed after the Air Force gave CAP permission to wear the Mess Dress uniform. Until that time, with the exception of a very few medals, a CAP member only earned ribbons.

Second, there remain only a few medals, and the correct term is DECORATIONS that have full-sized medals that correlate to a minature medal or ribbon...things like the Bronze and Silver Medals of Valor and the Distinguished Service Medal. I was once told by the previous national historian that, that has a lot to do with our federal congressionally chartered status. This same status even dictated the shape of the minature medals, so most of our stuff is coin-shaped and things lke the Distinguished Service Medal medallion are actually in the shape of a military commendation medal.

Third, there are awards in the military (and I'll stick with Air Force because that's my frame of reference), that are only ribbons and that has a lot to do with the non-war periods that the ribbons were created or the fact that the award isn't combat-related. So, things like the Air Force Training Ribbon and NCO PME ribbons are the AF-equivalent to all of our PD ribbons. Things like the AF Overseas Long Tour ribbon reflect periods of overseas service not in a designated combat zone. MY ribbon is for 25 months in Alaska during what is now called the Cold War.

Fourth, as far as unit awards, CAP has two ribbons and two minature medals. The Air Force has several, starting with things like the Presidential Unit Citation or as it used to be called the Distinguished Unit Citation. I have an AF Outstanding Unit Award with a silver device that means that I was part of units that earned the award six times and I can wear it permanently. The AF, and now the CAP, will no longer allow anyone to wear this ribbon if they were not part of the specified unit when it was awarded. You used to be allowed to wear it, just like the Army, when you were part of the unit and then you had to take it off when you left that unit.

Finally, it IS NOT the Congressional Medal of Honor, it is simply the Medal of Honor.

G+10

Thanks,
C/SSgt Bultsma

Congratulations! That's quite an honor.

PaulR

Quote from: bosshawk on July 20, 2007, 11:06:12 PM
Those ribbons worn on the right side of the chest are Unit Awards.  You get one by having served in the unit that was awarded the award.  In some cases, in the Army, you get to wear the award while serving in the unit, regardless of whether or not you were in the unit when it was awarded.  When you leave the unit, you take off the award.

Those traits are present only in the Army(and two Regiments in the Marines who wear the French Fourragere) .

In the sea going services(Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and Navy), a member has to be at the unit for over 50% of the time for which the award is covering(which can be waived for certain individuals, by the CO, due to some huge contribution by the member). The award is not worn by anyone who was not there for the stated time percentage covered by the award.   The award is a permanent part of the awardee's ribbon bar.  A flag representing the unit award is flown from a halyard near the US Ensign for two years. 

PaulR

How long have the mini medals been around?  I do not remember ever hearing of them when I was a cadet, in the 80s.   Are they awarded with the cerficate?  If so, can they be claimed if never received?  It would be cool to get my Billy Mitchell Medal!