Medals or just Ribbons

Started by Hobbsh1, July 20, 2007, 06:22:42 PM

Hobbsh1

I've seen alot of posts with some folks showing their ribbons in their sig, and I have a question.  Does CAP give actual medals for the awards that are labeled as medals or is it just ribbons?  Like the Silver Medal of Valor, does it come with a medal or is just called a medal?  Not that it matters or anything, just curious. Thanks, Dave

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

Hawk200

CAP has a mini medal for each ribbon that is produced. A little spendy when you put a Mess Dress together. There are decs designated as "Medals" but even the ribbons have a ribbon holding a medallion for each of them.

MIKE

IIRC some awards do have full sized "presentation medals."  Medals of Valor and the Distinguished Service Medal, I think.
Mike Johnston

Hobbsh1

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 20, 2007, 06:24:40 PM
CAP has a mini medal for each ribbon that is produced. A little spendy when you put a Mess Dress together. There are decs designated as "Medals" but even the ribbons have a ribbon holding a medallion for each of them.

Thanks Hawk200, is there a site that maybe has the actual medallion shown in a picture?  I've seen the ribbons and read up on the descriptions and qualifications to receive them, but would like to see what the medallion looks like.

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

Hobbsh1

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

ddelaney103

Hobbsh1

Quote from: ddelaney103 on July 20, 2007, 07:27:07 PM
Quote from: Hobbsh1 on July 20, 2007, 06:43:18 PM
Quote from: MIKE on July 20, 2007, 06:40:26 PM
http://www.civilairpatrolstore.com/store/store.php?page=3&cat_id=112
CAPR 39-3 Attachment 2

Of course, the ONE place I didn't think to look  :-\
Thanks ;D

No Worries - looking for pictures of CAP stuff at Vanguard is very counterintuitive...

Yes, I've noticed   :-[
A whole bunch of "No Image Available" pictures

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

jimmydeanno

This is another area where CAP falls out of line for awards and decorations.  In the RM, 'ribbons' do not have medals associated with them, only medals do.  So if you earn the AF Training RIBBON, there isn't a medal.  If you earn the Congressional MEDAL of Honor, there is a medal.

In CAP, if you earn the recruiting RIBBON you get a medal, the 'FIND' RIBBON has a medal, etc.

Just weird IMO...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SARMedTech

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 20, 2007, 08:13:47 PM
This is another area where CAP falls out of line for awards and decorations.  In the RM, 'ribbons' do not have medals associated with them, only medals do.  So if you earn the AF Training RIBBON, there isn't a medal.  If you earn the Congressional MEDAL of Honor, there is a medal.

In CAP, if you earn the recruiting RIBBON you get a medal, the 'FIND' RIBBON has a medal, etc.

Just weird IMO...

Not sure I read you...in the RM if you earn...say...the Order of the Purple Heart, the medal hangs from a purple silk ribbon and then theres the "ribbon" which goes on your rack and looks like an extension of the ribbon from which the medal itself (that is to say the actual MEDAL heart) hangs. I knew I should have joined the army just out of high school...CAP would be so much easier for me.

Also...while we are on medals, etc. I know we have valor decorations, etc, but is there a medal analogous to the Purple Heart for a member who is injured while performing a CAP duty. I know about the whole risk to life and limb idea, but what about an actual injury, like breaking your arm while affecting a save. I know the Purple Heart is combat or forward area related, but do you see what I mean?

ANd does it bother anyone but me that anyone can wander into the local army navy surplus and buy a purple heart or for that matter any other medal? I worked in a surplus and we actually carried knock off copies of the Congressional Medal of Honor and never asked for any sort of varification that a person should have it. I refused to be part of selling them, but we had a National Guardsmen come in, ask to by the rack ribbon for the CMOH, teh manager sold it to him, he put it on his uniform and walked out.

Since Im already asking dumb questions....and am not familiar with everything military, what are the ribbons that are worn on the opposite side as the rest of the rack...you know...the ones that often have the "toilet bowls" around them?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

bosshawk

Those ribbons worn on the right side of the chest are Unit Awards.  You get one by having served in the unit that was awarded the award.  In some cases, in the Army, you get to wear the award while serving in the unit, regardless of whether or not you were in the unit when it was awarded.  When you leave the unit, you take off the award.

I happen to wear the Presidential Unit Citation, the Meritorious Unit Citation and the Republic of Viet Nam Unit Citation: all awarded while I served in the 1st Military Intelligence Battalion, US Army, in Viet Nam.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SARMedTech

Quote from: bosshawk on July 20, 2007, 11:06:12 PM
Those ribbons worn on the right side of the chest are Unit Awards.  You get one by having served in the unit that was awarded the award.  In some cases, in the Army, you get to wear the award while serving in the unit, regardless of whether or not you were in the unit when it was awarded.  When you leave the unit, you take off the award.

I happen to wear the Presidential Unit Citation, the Meritorious Unit Citation and the Republic of Viet Nam Unit Citation: all awarded while I served in the 1st Military Intelligence Battalion, US Army, in Viet Nam.

Remind me not to p*&^ you off.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Flying Pig

I dont think its a big deal that you can buy military medals.  There are several lagit reasons for it.  I know many people who make shadow boxes for military members, etc. just to name one. 

As far as CAP....we dont have a need for full size medals.  And I personally dont feel like buying them to have them sit in a box.  Someday, I may look into the mess dress and spring for the mini's, but we dont have a uniform that requires full size medals.

MIKE

IIRC... The other Auxiliary is  pretty much in the same boat as CAP when it comes to mini-medals.  IIRC there is only one Auxiliary ribbon only award... Excluding USCG awards of course.

Full size medals are verboten.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

Multiple response:

MOH - by law, sale of the medal or ribbon is prohibited, as is reproduction by unauthorized sources.

Ribbons on the right - the Navy wears ribbons on the right in full dress uniforms when there is no corresponding medal. Combat Action Ribbon, and Navy 'E' come immediately to mind. There are others.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hobbsh1

Quote from: SarDragon on July 21, 2007, 12:18:05 AM
Multiple response:

MOH - by law, sale of the medal or ribbon is prohibited, as is reproduction by unauthorized sources.

Ribbons on the right - the Navy wears ribbons on the right in full dress uniforms when there is no corresponding medal. Combat Action Ribbon, and Navy 'E' come immediately to mind. There are others.

Correct, I'm prior service Navy (7yrs).  When I would have to wear my "working blues (Johny Cash outfit) or my "working whites" (icecream man suit) we wore our earned ribbons over the left breast pocket.  In the dress blues or whites, we would wear our ribbons the same way unless it was a formal inspection or special occasions, then it was medals on the left and the ribbons that didn't have medals on the right.

I'm looking to join a local CAP unit here in Pittsburgh, Pa.  A friend of mine has been in CAP for a while now and was a squadron commander, he wants to start another unit in Washington Pa just south of Pitt.  I've been lurking about here, Cadetstuff.org and on Military.com, reading up on anything and everything that I can find.

I'm also trying to get back into the ANG at the moment.

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

Hobbsh1

This just doesn't make sense to me.  To me if you didn't help the outfit achieve the recognition, I don't feel you should wear it. But that's just mho.

I have earned or helped earn the Battle "E", Joint Meritorious Unit Commencation and the Navy Unit Commendation.  Along with a few other medals and ribbons and I'm [darn] proud of them all.  ;D

Subverting curse filter.  Just type it and let the filter catch it. - MIKE

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

Flying Pig

There is no problem with wearing awards that are unit specific.  When I was in the Marines I was with the 6th Marine Regiment.  The 6th and 5th Marines are the only two Regiments in the Marines who wear the French Fourragere. (green and red shoulder cord).  It was awarded to the regiments by France during WW1 for their bravery.  Of course I didnt have any part in earning the award, but keeping the decoration remembers the Marines who came before us.  When you leave the unit, you no longer wear the shoulder cord.  It does look pretty sweet on the dress blues though!

The French Fourragere

The Fourragere is a combat decoration instituted by Napoleon for units that distinguished themselves in battle. In 1918, Marines of the 5th and 6th Regiments, by their deeds of valor, inscribed the names of momentous and brilliant battles on the pages of Marine Corps History. They have the single honor of being the only two Regiments in the A.E.F. to receive three citations, two in the Order of the Army and one in the Orders of the Corps. The Fourragere and the Croix de Guerre with two palms and one Gilt Star. The first award of the Croix de Guerre came after the Battle of Belleau Wood. The second award of the Croix de Guerre followed shortly after the Battle of Soissons. The final award came after the Battle of Champagne, which opened the western approaches to the Argonne.

Just as individuals are decorated for courageous conduct in battle, so are the colors of an organization decorated to commemorate the deeds of the unit as a whole. American units so decorate are authorized by our government to place on their colors a streamer, one for each award. A unit twice cited with the French Croix de Guerre with Palm is entitled to a braided and knotted cord called the Fourragere in the green and red colors of Croix de Guerre. The Fourragere in the green and red colors of Croix de Guerre. The Fourragere becomes apart of the uniform of the unit so cited, and all members of the organization are authorized to wear the decoration on the left shoulder of the uniform, so as long as they remain a member of that organization. Individuals attached to the organization on at least two occasions on which it was cited in Orders of the French Army are entitled to wear the Fourragere at all times, regardless of whether or not they are serving in the unit decorated.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 20, 2007, 10:42:05 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 20, 2007, 08:13:47 PM

Just weird IMO...

Not sure I read you...in the RM if you earn...say...the Order of the Purple Heart, the medal hangs from a purple silk ribbon and then theres the "ribbon" which goes on your rack and looks like an extension of the ribbon from which the medal itself (that is to say the actual MEDAL heart) hangs. I knew I should have joined the army just out of high school...CAP would be so much easier for me.

This is what I was saying.

CAP considers everything to be a 'medal' in terms of decoration.  Therefore they make a mini medal for EVERYTHING (well, they've been approved but not manufactured yet).  The RM has different classifications for their decorations.  The lower ones like the AF training ribbon do not have a medal (ribbon with metal medal hanging off it), there is only a ribbon.

Only certain decorations in the RM rate having a medal.  In CAP they all do.  So when you see an AF Captain in mess dress, he may only have 1/2 of his decorations on because those are the only ones considered medals (maybe 4 or 5 of 10).  The CAP captain on the other hand usually can put all his decorations on (usually 10 or more).

So in the RM, every medal has a ribbon associated with it, but not every ribbon has a medal associated with it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DeputyDog

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 23, 2007, 12:08:00 AM
CAP considers everything to be a 'medal' in terms of decoration.  Therefore they make a mini medal for EVERYTHING (well, they've been approved but not manufactured yet).

Not all of them. My highest cadet award that I wear as a senior member (officer) is the Doolittle. There is no mini-medal associated with it.

Flying Pig

Fall out of line?  WHy cant CAP have its own criteria for issueing medals?  Does anyone really think the military is at al concerned about how our awards are issued or whether or not they have medals associated with them?
Who cares if all of our ribbons have medals.  One big difference is that we dont have nearly the amount of ribbons/medals that the military has anyway.

AlphaSigOU

Prior to about 1968 or so, most CAP awards did not include a corresponding medal. It was not until the Air Force authorized the wear of mess dress for CAP senior members (with distinctive ultramarine blue sleeve and shoulder board braid, as well as the 'dinner plate' CAP seal) that miniature medals of practically all CAP awards were made for the mess dress.

With the exception of the Silver and Bronze Medals of Valor (which are the CAP propeller and triangle within a laurel wreath) and the Distinguished, Exceptional and Meritorious Service Medals (which are hexagonal in shape), all other CAP awards are 'gongs' - ahem - circular. The reasoning behind that was explained as that CAP is a non-combatant auxiliary, and since most awards were for service or achievement, the simple circular medal would suffice.

It would be expensive for CAP to have new dies struck doubling the size of the medal to make it suitable for full size wear; currently CAP does not have a uniform combination where full-size medals may be worn nor a way - yet - of creating a medal presentation set.

If I had the opportunity to create full size medals I would limit them to the following awards:

Silver and Bronze Medals of Valor
Distinguished, Exceptional and Meritorious Service Awards
Gill Robb Wilson Award
Paul Garber Award
Grover Loening Award
Benjamin Davis Award (only for completion of Level II)

For the former cadinks:

Spaatz Award
Eaker Award
Earhart Award
Mitchell Award
Wright Brothers Award (maybe)

All other awards would only keep the ribbon and the mini-medal.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Grumpy

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 23, 2007, 06:35:23 AM
Prior to about 1968 or so, most CAP awards did not include a corresponding medal. It was not until the Air Force authorized the wear of mess dress for CAP senior members (with distinctive ultramarine blue sleeve and shoulder board braid, as well as the 'dinner plate' CAP seal) that miniature medals of practically all CAP awards were made for the mess dress.

With the exception of the Silver and Bronze Medals of Valor (which are the CAP propeller and triangle within a laurel wreath) and the Distinguished, Exceptional and Meritorious Service Medals (which are hexagonal in shape), all other CAP awards are 'gongs' - ahem - circular. The reasoning behind that was explained as that CAP is a non-combatant auxiliary, and since most awards were for service or achievement, the simple circular medal would suffice.

It would be expensive for CAP to have new dies struck doubling the size of the medal to make it suitable for full size wear; currently CAP does not have a uniform combination where full-size medals may be worn nor a way - yet - of creating a medal presentation set.

If I had the opportunity to create full size medals I would limit them to the following awards:

Silver and Bronze Medals of Valor
Distinguished, Exceptional and Meritorious Service Awards
Gill Robb Wilson Award
Paul Garber Award
Grover Loening Award
Benjamin Davis Award (only for completion of Level II)

For the former cadinks:

Spaatz Award
Eaker Award
Earhart Award
Mitchell Award
Wright Brothers Award (maybe)

All other awards would only keep the ribbon and the mini-medal.
______________________________________________________________________________________

What about us former cadets that don't have a numbered Mitchell Award.  All I had was a cadet COP and they went and changed not only the name of the dang thing but the program too.  ;D  When people ask me what that little blue ribbon with the horizontal white lines and prop is, I tell them it's my "old Fart" ribbon.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Grumpy on July 23, 2007, 06:59:57 AMWhat about us former cadets that don't have a numbered Mitchell Award.  All I had was a cadet COP and they went and changed not only the name of the dang thing but the program too.  ;D  When people ask me what that little blue ribbon with the horizontal white lines and prop is, I tell them it's my "old Fart" ribbon.

Dadgummit... I forgot 'bout the old COP! Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

Quote from: DeputyDog on July 23, 2007, 12:29:25 AM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 23, 2007, 12:08:00 AM
CAP considers everything to be a 'medal' in terms of decoration.  Therefore they make a mini medal for EVERYTHING (well, they've been approved but not manufactured yet).

Not all of them. My highest cadet award that I wear as a senior member (officer) is the Doolittle. There is no mini-medal associated with it.

Looking at the last CAP Mart catalog, I only see mini medals for the cadet awards, and none of the achievements. I don't think anything has changed since then.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

Throw 'em all out and fix the system. ;D  Came up with this a while ago.
Mike Johnston

Sgt. Savage

The fact of the matter is, most of it's just "BLING". The membership "award", find "award" and Yeager "award" that are found in my rack were almost as easy to get as my Army Service Ribbon. I had a tougher time getting my Overseas Service Ribbon, and it's just a service ribbon, no medal involved. We really should have ribbon only awards. Why does a "Cherry" 2Lt need a medal?

Grumpy

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on July 24, 2007, 01:20:53 PM
The fact of the matter is, most of it's just "BLING". The membership "award", find "award" and Yeager "award" that are found in my rack were almost as easy to get as my Army Service Ribbon. I had a tougher time getting my Overseas Service Ribbon, and it's just a service ribbon, no medal involved. We really should have ribbon only awards. Why does a "Cherry" 2Lt need a medal?
I agree.  Just have ribbons for your levels to indicate training experience and medals for things such as the Medal of Valor, etc. (I can't think of the others right now).  That would make the medals mean a whole lot more and be a lot less weight on your Mess Dress.

Hawk200

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on July 24, 2007, 01:20:53 PM

I would say those a lot easier than the Service ribbon. There are a few decs for CAP that require a write-up, just like a military Achievement or Commendation. Why not make those actual "medals"? At least you would have done a little more to earn them, and those are the things you should take more pride in.

davedove

While in the military (and still) I always felt that if an accomplishment didn't rate a medal, it shouldn't get a ribbon.  But that's another discussion.

CAP ought to reflect the services as to whether an award rates a medal, or just a ribbon.  And remember, more than decorations rate medals in the military.  There are also all of the "been there" service medals.  Training awards are, for the most part, ribbon only awards.

So, the training/progression awards in CAP could be changed to ribbon only.  The activity awards are debatable, but I don't think medals are out of line for them.

I would love to see full size medals for CAP, but I also understand the expense of making them.  Anyway, as was said, what would we do with them.  You can't wear them on any uniform.  Now, if they were authorized for wear on civilian dress clothes, one could put them with military medals on special occasions.  Otherwise, they will be placed in shadow boxes and forgotten.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

ColonelJack

Quote from: davedove on July 24, 2007, 07:27:47 PM
I would love to see full size medals for CAP, but I also understand the expense of making them.  Anyway, as was said, what would we do with them.  You can't wear them on any uniform.  Now, if they were authorized for wear on civilian dress clothes, one could put them with military medals on special occasions.  Otherwise, they will be placed in shadow boxes and forgotten.

Well, at the risk of sounding like I am giving a certain two-star yet another uniform idea, I also support the creation of full-sized gongs for CAP.  And they could indeed be worn, on the corporate blue uniform in a "semi-formal" capacity -- as opposed to mess dress, which is a "formal" uniform.  Since ribbons and badges from the RealMilitary™ can't be worn on corporate blues, who's to say full-sized CAP medals would be inappropriate?  And only those who want them would buy them, so the only real cost to CAP is the set-up of the dies to strike the gongs.  The ribbon material can be made into a drape with little problem, and mounting -- well, that'd be up to the member.

(Donning flame-retardant material for anticipated dragonfire coming my way ...)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

SarDragon

I see another economics of scale problem here. The fewer you have made, the higher the per item cost. How many folks are going to want/be able to wear large medals. Hundreds? Thousands? I think more like maybe dozens. Considering the awards that you guys want to even make medals for, it might be fewer than that. I'm just not seeing economical numbers here.

Would this be restricted to SMs, or open to cadets too?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on July 25, 2007, 12:04:28 AM
I see another economics of scale problem here. The fewer you have made, the higher the per item cost. How many folks are going to want/be able to wear large medals. Hundreds? Thousands? I think more like maybe dozens. Considering the awards that you guys want to even make medals for, it might be fewer than that. I'm just not seeing economical numbers here.

Would this be restricted to SMs, or open to cadets too?

Cadets can't even wear Mess Dress, which is the only uniform we really have to wear them on. So it sounds like it would only really be for seniors.

Then again, the Air Force does not have a uniform that can be worn by everyone that includes full size medals. Why should we bother?

James Shaw

NationaL and others have considered this idea of the full size but it was not cost effective. The Air Force would not buy into the idea as well.

There are currently 4 full size awards authorized for wear.

The Falcon Award (Very rare find)
The Distinguished Service Award
The Silver Medal of Valor
The Bronze Medal of Valor
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

davedove

If they did decide to make select awards in a full sized medal, two good candidates would be the Wilson and Spaatz awards.  Those achieving the highest development in each program would then be "awarded" with a full size medal.  It would also make the presentations a little more special when pinning on a medal instead of just handing them a ribbon and certificate.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

James Shaw

I would have to agree. I think the top ones for the cadets and seniors is a good idea. It would be a nice presentation piece.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

ColonelJack

Not meaning to add to the pot or anything, but if the DSM is good enough for full-size, and we agree that the Spaatz and Wilson should be full-size, shouldn't the Exceptional Service, Meritorious Service, and Commander's Commendation (and National CC's Commendation) also be full-sized?  They're not training awards, they're personal decorations.  They should have medals too, I think.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Hawk200

Quote from: ColonelJack on July 25, 2007, 03:09:23 PM
Not meaning to add to the pot or anything, but if the DSM is good enough for full-size, and we agree that the Spaatz and Wilson should be full-size, shouldn't the Exceptional Service, Meritorious Service, and Commander's Commendation (and National CC's Commendation) also be full-sized?  They're not training awards, they're personal decorations.  They should have medals too, I think.

Jack

Agreed.

SARMedTech

The motion is carried. See you all next year in Atlantic City.

I think what you guys are coming up with sounds like it would make certain awards and decorations all the more special for the recipient if they were full sized. I mean what a wonderful thing to be able to have pinned on you and then displayed proudly in your home one of the Valor Medals, etc.

Some good thinking going on here.
"Corpsman Up!"

Hawk200

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 25, 2007, 04:51:25 PM
Some good thinking going on here.

There's loads of good thinking here. Sadly, many people above our pay grade don't pay attention.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 25, 2007, 07:10:45 PM
. . . many people above our pay grade don't pay attention.
We have a pay grade. . . . . . Whoo hooo!!!!! I'm rich. . . . . . .. . oh wait. . . .[darn]
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

davedove

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 25, 2007, 07:16:21 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on July 25, 2007, 07:10:45 PM
. . . many people above our pay grade don't pay attention.
We have a pay grade. . . . . . Whoo hooo!!!!! I'm rich. . . . . . .. . oh wait. . . .[darn]

Sure, didn't anyone tell you?  Your pay doubles with each promotion. :D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

RogueLeader

Yeah I just checked the mail, and my latest check was in there.  The total $00.00, which is up from $0.00.  8)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

And just what percentage of CAP members currently own a uniform upon which they could actually wear medals of any size?  At our last few Wing banquets probably less than 10% of attendees (maybe more like 5%) were wearing them.  What is the percentage where you are?

Seems to me if that few CAP members are actually choosing to purchase and wear a particular type of uniform it should probably just be scrapped as unnecessary.  That would solve the medal issue. 

Flying Pig

Is there really a "medal issue"?   I think the mess dress looks very sharp.  I told myself that if I ever made it tot Group Commander or higher I may spring for one.  I see them worn in Ca often enough.

jimmydeanno

[Off topic]

On a side note, Vanguard won't tell you this, but you can order the bullion insignia separately from the shoulder boards for the mess dress.  So when you get promoted, you can remove the old insignia and use some fabric glue to put the new ones on (it's what they do in the first place).

Bullion insignia: ~$5.00
Shoulder Boards: ~$46.00

you do the math :)

[/off topic]

davedove

Quote from: RiverAux on July 26, 2007, 03:24:50 AM
And just what percentage of CAP members currently own a uniform upon which they could actually wear medals of any size?  At our last few Wing banquets probably less than 10% of attendees (maybe more like 5%) were wearing them.  What is the percentage where you are?

Seems to me if that few CAP members are actually choosing to purchase and wear a particular type of uniform it should probably just be scrapped as unnecessary.  That would solve the medal issue. 

I think the discussion has evolved into more of a "What would be nice to have?" issue.  There is no reall "need" for any of the medals.  What some of us are saying is that a full sized medal would be more meaningful in some cases.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

Sgt. Savage

And now comes the next problem...

If you make some medals full size and leave some mini, and you can't mix them, you can never wear a full rack of full size. If they can't all be done full size, leave them be.

davedove

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on July 26, 2007, 01:18:48 PM
And now comes the next problem...

If you make some medals full size and leave some mini, and you can't mix them, you can never wear a full rack of full size. If they can't all be done full size, leave them be.

Granted, since CAP has already made mini's for all the awards, it complicates the issue.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

ColonelJack

Do you really believe there won't be a market for full-size gongs, whether we limit them to the highest training awards and the personal decorations or make all of the ribbon styles as available ones?  I can assure you that many members (some who post here) would indeed buy them, even if we don't have a uniform to wear them on.  I have a shadowbox of my ROTC, active-duty AF, and CAP awards and there's plenty of room for full-sized gongs for CAP (joining the AF ones and the ROTC medals I have).

I'd buy them.  So would many of you.  So why not make them available?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Sgt. Savage

I'm not saying don't make them available. I'm just kinda taking an all or nothing position.

Grumpy

I think CAP ought to keep the medal count down to the three they already have, get rid of all the other medals and just make them ribbons.  The medals would mean that much more.

Just a thought.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Grumpy on July 26, 2007, 03:53:26 PM
I think CAP ought to keep the medal count down to the three they already have, get rid of all the other medals and just make them ribbons.  The medals would mean that much more.

Just a thought.

Of course, that would mean the majority of Officers (who don't have the SMV, BMV, or DSM) would have nothing at all to wear on their mess dress.

Somehow, I don't think that would fly.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

BrettBultsma

I recently received the AFA Cadet of the Year award, and I was wondering where the medal is worn. Can it be worn on standard dress blues along with the ribbon? If so where is it placed.

Thanks,
C/SSgt Bultsma

jimmydeanno

Quote from: BrettBultsma on January 27, 2011, 04:10:05 AM
I recently received the AFA Cadet of the Year award, and I was wondering where the medal is worn. Can it be worn on standard dress blues along with the ribbon? If so where is it placed.

Thanks,
C/SSgt Bultsma

You can never wear it.  Only the ribbon can be worn.

Major Carrales

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 27, 2011, 04:13:30 AM

Thanks,
C/SSgt Bultsma

You can never wear it.  Only the ribbon can be worn.

Correct, it is for shadowbox display.  It can be "pin on you" for ceremonial purposes the day it is awarded for press releases, but these awards are not worn as JROTC ones are.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

flyboy53

OK, first of all the reason why ALMOST every CAP ribbon translates to a minature medal is because the medals were designed after the Air Force gave CAP permission to wear the Mess Dress uniform. Until that time, with the exception of a very few medals, a CAP member only earned ribbons.

Second, there remain only a few medals, and the correct term is DECORATIONS that have full-sized medals that correlate to a minature medal or ribbon...things like the Bronze and Silver Medals of Valor and the Distinguished Service Medal. I was once told by the previous national historian that, that has a lot to do with our federal congressionally chartered status. This same status even dictated the shape of the minature medals, so most of our stuff is coin-shaped and things lke the Distinguished Service Medal medallion are actually in the shape of a military commendation medal.

Third, there are awards in the military (and I'll stick with Air Force because that's my frame of reference), that are only ribbons and that has a lot to do with the non-war periods that the ribbons were created or the fact that the award isn't combat-related. So, things like the Air Force Training Ribbon and NCO PME ribbons are the AF-equivalent to all of our PD ribbons. Things like the AF Overseas Long Tour ribbon reflect periods of overseas service not in a designated combat zone. MY ribbon is for 25 months in Alaska during what is now called the Cold War.

Fourth, as far as unit awards, CAP has two ribbons and two minature medals. The Air Force has several, starting with things like the Presidential Unit Citation or as it used to be called the Distinguished Unit Citation. I have an AF Outstanding Unit Award with a silver device that means that I was part of units that earned the award six times and I can wear it permanently. The AF, and now the CAP, will no longer allow anyone to wear this ribbon if they were not part of the specified unit when it was awarded. You used to be allowed to wear it, just like the Army, when you were part of the unit and then you had to take it off when you left that unit.

Finally, it IS NOT the Congressional Medal of Honor, it is simply the Medal of Honor.

G+10

Thanks,
C/SSgt Bultsma

Congratulations! That's quite an honor.

PaulR

Those traits are present only in the Army(and two Regiments in the Marines who wear the French Fourragere) .

In the sea going services(Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and Navy), a member has to be at the unit for over 50% of the time for which the award is covering(which can be waived for certain individuals, by the CO, due to some huge contribution by the member). The award is not worn by anyone who was not there for the stated time percentage covered by the award.   The award is a permanent part of the awardee's ribbon bar.  A flag representing the unit award is flown from a halyard near the US Ensign for two years. 

PaulR

How long have the mini medals been around?  I do not remember ever hearing of them when I was a cadet, in the 80s.   Are they awarded with the cerficate?  If so, can they be claimed if never received?  It would be cool to get my Billy Mitchell Medal!

SarDragon

As far as obtaining them goes, I think you need to buy them, unless your unit pays for them to present. For a Mitchell from that far back, you're on your own.

As for introduction date, the original mini-medals were introduced in July 1969 (DSA, ESA, MSA, Red Service, IACE, SAR, SMOV, BMOV, UCA, and SM Leadership Awards).

Others followed, presumably when the award itself was introduced. (Too many to list; info as of 1985)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret