Main Menu

AEPSM and Yeager

Started by RogueLeader, July 10, 2007, 04:20:10 PM

RogueLeader

i have taken the Aepsm test, and passed.  The online certificate was posted to e-services, but the Yeager Ribbon has not?  Is this common?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

IceNine

yep, you wing AEO has to foreward the award in his report before you will get your credit on eservices
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

davedove

To the best of my knowledge, the award itself is not posted in eservices.  It does list that you passed the test.  I looked at the records of those in my unit with the award, and only the passing of the test is recorded in eservices.

Of course, as has been said, even this doesn't happen until it goes through the wing AEO.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

RogueLeader

It went through the AEO, so I can wear the ribbon, right?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

davedove

In eservices, on the Member Search report (I know there are problems with that right now), under the section for training on your record, there will be a listing for AEPSM.  If the listing is there, it has processed through wing, and I would say you could wear the award.

Also, the award will be listed in Volunteer magazine.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Potomac Grays

Why does the Wing AEO need to be involved at all?  it seems an added burden to already overworked volunteers.   Once it's posted to E-Services, having the Wing AEO "certify" the accomplishment seems redundant, and a waste of scarce volunteer resources...

RogueLeader

No, I sent it to the WG/AEO, and she posted it to national.  Since it is online, I don't know why it had to go to wing though.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jimmydeanno

^because then what would the Wing AEO do, if not collect AE reports and process yeagers???
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

IceNine

It has to go through the AEO just like ES Quals must go through ESO, Comm Quals through Comms etc.  So that they can maintain records on the completions, keep stats for the wing, and send out the certificates.  There is a system of checks and balances in every area of CAP we just become accustomed to them over time and they no longer seem such a burden.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jimmydeanno

Quote from: J.Hendricks on July 10, 2007, 06:24:46 PM
So that they can maintain records on the completions, keep stats for the wing

tangent: maintain records on completions keep stats for the wing...so they can tell national when they get inspected...

Honestly it is a broken system as it stands.  Member takes, national records and updates record, member notifies wing so that wing can notify national who has already processed the info...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

It has to go through the AEO just like ES Quals must go through ESO, Comm Quals through Comms etc.  So that they can maintain records on the completions, keep stats for the wing, and send out the certificates.  There is a system of checks and balances in every area of CAP we just become accustomed to them over time and they no longer seem such a burden.

As a practical matter, I believe Wing physically prints the certs. 

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

Well they do now that we have a printer capable of handling that size.  Apparently the calligraphy pen ran out   ;D

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Pylon

Quote from: J.Hendricks on July 10, 2007, 07:05:44 PM
Apparently the calligraphy pen ran out   ;D

Our Wing AEO hand calligraphers all of the Yeager certificates.  They actually turn out really nice.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on July 10, 2007, 07:11:10 PM
Quote from: J.Hendricks on July 10, 2007, 07:05:44 PM
Apparently the calligraphy pen ran out   ;D

Our Wing AEO hand calligraphers all of the Yeager certificates.  They actually turn out really nice.

consider yourself lucky....

"That Others May Zoom"

James Shaw

I will offer my services for this. I have been a professional calligrapher for 20 years. If you send the certificates to me I will do the lettering for them at no cost and you can pay for the return shipping. I also have a large format printer that can print them. It will print up to 13X22 posters. You would just need to show "proof positive" of authorization.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

dwb

Quote from: Potomac Grays on July 10, 2007, 05:17:45 PMWhy does the Wing AEO need to be involved at all?  it seems an added burden to already overworked volunteers.   Once it's posted to E-Services, having the Wing AEO "certify" the accomplishment seems redundant, and a waste of scarce volunteer resources...

Good question.  The answer is that the process hasn't caught up yet.

Other s'member awards are printed at NHQ and mailed right to the unit, but the Yeager still goes through the Wing AE office.  I suspect that will change someday, especially as more people complete the online version.  Maybe there will be a different process for the folks that take the paper test.

You can always run it up the chain of command and, if your Wing CC agrees, maybe he/she can make a motion at the next NB meeting to streamline the process.

acarlson

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2007, 07:02:14 PM

As a practical matter, I believe Wing physically prints the certs. 

not any more..

the test gets recorded on your eServices record immediately.

the Cert. is now printable - letter size - in pdf form immediately after you pass.

If the AEPSM is recorded on your NHQ eServices record...  you're authorized to wear the Yeager ribbon.

paperless! 

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

Capt M. Sherrod

The following is a copy of an e-mail that I recently sent out to all of my squadron members who had not yet passed the AEPSM test.  I made this as generic but warm as possible and then sent it to myself in the To: field the CC in the Cc: field and all the recipients in the Bcc: field.  That way, it looks more personal.  Please feel free to use it if you think it will work for you.  I'll post later with some feedback on the number of responses it generated.

Hello,

I want to take this time to personally invite you to complete the Aerospace Education Program for Senior Members (AEPSM).  As I am sure you are aware, one of CAP's three missions is Aerospace Education.  That mission is further defined by the following three points found in CAP Reg 280-2:

a. The authority for CAP's aerospace education and training mission is derived from Title 36 of the United States Code, Section 40302. The law states that among the organization's purposes are "To provide an organization to encourage and aid citizens of the United States in contributing their efforts, services, and resources in developing aviation and in maintaining air supremacy" and "To provide aviation education and training especially to its senior and cadet members."

b. CAP aerospace education programs implement the AE mission's goals and objectives. These AE programs provide an understanding and appreciation of aviation and space exploration in our world. Aerospace education communicates knowledge, skills, and attitudes relating to aerospace activities and the total impact of air and space technology upon society.

c. CAP members are obligated to involve themselves in aerospace education. Members are required to:

(1) Be informed on aerospace developments and issues.

(2) Speak out on aerospace matters at appropriate formal occasions and during informal daily contacts.

(3) Share aerospace knowledge and experiences with other CAP members and the general public.

The AEPSM, is the first step in this process.  This element is a self-paced study based on the CAP text, Aerospace: The Journey of Flight. All senior members have the responsibility to read and become knowledgeable with the content of this text. Once members are ready to take the Yeager test, they have three options, open book, closed book, or on-line. 

This text can be found by logging in to e-Services at www.capnhq.gov.  Once you are logged in, if you look on the left side of the page, under CAP Utilities, you will see a link for Aerospace: The Journey of Fight.  When you click on this link, it will take you to the electronic copy of the text book.  You will see that the book is broken down by chapter for easy downloading.  After you have downloaded each of the chapters, you will need a copy of Adobe Reader to view the .pdf files.  If you do not have a copy of Adobe Reader, you can download one from the main page of e-Services (at the bottom of the page under the section "Downloads").

Now that you have all of the files, and are able to read them, you will want to open a new internet window and go to the following link:

https://tests.cap.af.mil/ops/tests/default.cfm?Message=Ok&grp=ae&CFID=41101&CFTOKEN=76927385

You will need to select Yeager Award  #1.  Do not worry about # 2 at this time; it is only needed if you were to fail Award #1.  Once you have successfully passed the test, please send me an e-mail letting me know that you have passed the test, and I will take care of letting the Wing DAE (Director of Aerospace Education) know that you have completed the requirements for the AEPSM.

Please feel free to e-mail me or call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx if you have any other questions that I can answer for you.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

Fifinella

^^Nicely done.  Thank you for sharing this resource. :)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

dhon27

^^ Concur.  Excellent overview of the process! 

LtCol Hooligan

I hope you don't mind, but I borrowed this and sent it to my Officers as well!!  This was great!!
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Capt M. Sherrod

Share and share alike, I'm glad that I was able to offer something that I have come up with.  There is a lot of good information available on this forum that gets to the heart of what we do, underneath all of the uniform and grade and conspiracy discussions...   ::)
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

RogueLeader

Quote from: 2d Lt M. Sherrod on July 25, 2007, 06:40:29 PM
Share and share alike, I'm glad that I was able to offer something that I have come up with.  There is a lot of good information available on this forum that gets to the heart of what we do, underneath all of the uniform and grade and conspiracy discussions...   ::)

That is what I love about this forum.  :)

But no in a weird way. . . . . ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340