flight jacket clarifying question

Started by hfriday, November 08, 2018, 02:05:02 PM

hfriday

I know we all have uniform fatigue on the boards right now, but I have a clarifying question before I bring my stuff to the tailor later today.

CAPM 39-1 says that on the USAF-style flightsuit, sleeve patches are affixed via a 3.5" square piece of loop-side velcro. My assumption - since I have been in and out of flightsuits since my old Army days - is that this is primarily because flightsuits were issued with the 3.5" sleeve velcro squares already attached, so they could fit pretty much any patch (other than the 1st Cav's monstrosity) right out of the factory.

It also says that on the green flight jacket, all patches are mandatory and should be located in the same places as authorized on the flightsuit, and may be sewn on directly or attached with velcro.

It's nitpicky, but I don't want to drop thirty dollars just to be told I'm out of the proper uniform. Am I right in inferring that the velcro loop on the jacket sleeves should also be 3.5" square, or may I cut it to fit the wing and US flag patches, which would more closely replicate direct sewing to the jacket?

And yes, before someone else points it out...I am a bit anal-retentive. But we all know how much fun the uniform police can be.

Thanks as always for any guidance anyone can provide here.

PHall

If you think you won't be changing any patches, then yes, cut the velcro to match the shape of the patch.
And yes, mount the patches on velcro. It makes it so you can easily change out a patch when it becomes worn.

Eclipse

Since you can sew them directly, no one should make an issue of shaped velcro.

The problem comes in when a member shapes the loop side on the garment to a
specific shape, then puts a different patch in that space which is too big (leaving
exposed, unattached edges).

You see that a lot with wings that have small patches and then members put on a BISC
or NESA, patch there.

"That Others May Zoom"

hfriday

Thanks, folks. Seems like a consensus, since nobody is chiming in to the contrary.