Trouble with badge frogs

Started by Lem, June 08, 2018, 01:27:02 PM

Lem

Greeting s all  I have a question I am hopping some of you might be able to help me with. Almost every time I wear my class A's or B's I have a frog come off a badge or device unknown to me until I or some one notice the device is dangling by one pin. this always seam to happen at the most inopportune times.  I have tried replacing the frogs with new ones. Even bought new devices thinking the pins might have been worn down. It still happens  Any advice on how to cure this problem so everything stays pinned until I remove therm for cleaning. 

Thank you for any help you can provide

CAPOfficer

The best item I have found to work is the Clutch Jewelers with Spring.  They cost a little more than three dollars for three at AAFES, but they don't fail.

I have always had difficulty with the newer clutches (frogs).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Eclipse

It happens, welcome to CAP.

You can also get pin locks that have a set screw. Bikers use them to hold pins on thick leather jackets.

Be careful you don't pinch the pin too hard.

https://www.amazon.com/Lapel-Pin-Locking-Backs-Keepers/dp/B007IU94Z2

"That Others May Zoom"

Lem

Thank you CAPOfficer  and Eclipse  for the responses
Eclipse that is a very interesting concept, never thought about using very small set collars

CAPOfficer I will google the Clutch Jewelers with spring  and compare the two  unless you have a better way to find them

Again thanks for the help 

Mitchell 1969

When i was in Korea on IACE, long, long ago, I noticed that the ROKAF and ROK Army people used something like these. They look like the metal ones, but are one-piece rubber or plastic. I brought a bag home with me. They lasted for years and never fell off. Cheap, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Shapenty-Butterfly-Keepers-Replacement-Uniform/dp/B01N5I7XUU/ref=pd_aw_fbt_193_img_3/146-3622742-7301969?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F0W5N4YAMXRFQ9GGVAPJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

audiododd

Occums Razor - Have you tried bending the "wings" of the frog out a bit?  That fixed probably 70-80% of my loose frog problems. 
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

Toad1168

Make sure you put backing or stiffeners behind the badge, nameplate, etc.  That helps immensely with the frogs staying on in my experience.
Toad

abdsp51

Quote from: Toad1168 on June 13, 2018, 05:02:18 PM
Make sure you put backing or stiffeners behind the badge, nameplate, etc.  That helps immensely with the frogs staying on in my experience.

Not needed for the service coat.... blues shirts most definately..

THRAWN

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on June 10, 2018, 05:04:15 AM
When i was in Korea on IACE, long, long ago, I noticed that the ROKAF and ROK Army people used something like these. They look like the metal ones, but are one-piece rubber or plastic. I brought a bag home with me. They lasted for years and never fell off. Cheap, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Shapenty-Butterfly-Keepers-Replacement-Uniform/dp/B01N5I7XUU/ref=pd_aw_fbt_193_img_3/146-3622742-7301969?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F0W5N4YAMXRFQ9GGVAPJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a bag of these about 20 years ago. I think I've replaced 5....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

I use jewellers clutches almost exclusively now. They work 10x better than frogs, can you can get a whole bag cheap on amazon.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.