Main Menu

Special Activities

Started by Devil Doc, April 13, 2018, 06:08:59 PM

Devil Doc

What ever happened to PJOC, COCC, and courses alike...

I know Spartan was an Expert.... where is that booger.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

TheSkyHornet

CAPSOC_0pur8ur

I assume you mean CCOC, as in Combat Control Orientation Course, not COCC. It was discontinued a while back, though I'm not exactly sure why. PJOC is still around, though it's technically called Pararescue and Survival Orientation Course since they added SERE dudes into the mix.
"To be somebody or to do something. In life there is often a roll call. That's when you will have to make a decision. To be or to do? Which way will you go?" -Col John Boyd

Devil Doc

Ahh thank you. I wonder why PJOC is still around and CCOC is not? I had a brain fart and see that PJOC still exist. I am bummed that BISC dosnt have any local trainings this year.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

PA Guy

If I remember correctly COCC was a Region activity and went away because it was personality dependent. When the person who started it and had the contacts moved on the activity died. I think it was only put on 2-3 times a long time ago.

Starbird

Quote from: PA Guy on April 13, 2018, 07:27:29 PM
If I remember correctly COCC was a Region activity and went away because it was personality dependent. When the person who started it and had the contacts moved on the activity died. I think it was only put on 2-3 times a long time ago.

It's a shame that good programs die when people decide its time to move away... but unfortunately it seems to happen quite a lot.

SarDragon

Quote from: Starbird on April 13, 2018, 07:59:45 PM
Quote from: PA Guy on April 13, 2018, 07:27:29 PM

It's a shame that good programs die when people decide its time to move away... but unfortunately it seems to happen quite a lot.

I know the guy. The decision was not his. He's active duty AF, and transfers hindered his ability to run the event. There were also background politics involved. It's time to move on and let it be an interesting historical item.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Anyone involved with encampments, NCSAs, flight academies, etc.,  knows that most of them are
a handful of people away from closing almost every year, not to mention at the
mercy of their gracious host facilities.

The number of people who are both interested in, and have the ability to, herd 100-150
cats for 6-months to a year in the brute-force effort these activities are (on shoe-string
budgets and little outside support) gets smaller every year, and when one or two key
people gets sick, or sick of it, or the host has an ORI that week or the Force Protection
is raised...

((*poof*))

... restarting these things can be twice the effort of just keeping them running.

And the above doesn't even factor in the non-trivial issue of whether or not
there is enough interest in the activity to keep it viable.

"That Others May Zoom"

husker

Quote from: Eclipse on April 13, 2018, 09:23:05 PM
Anyone involved with encampments, NCSAs, flight academies, etc.,  knows that most of them are
a handful of people away from closing almost every year, not to mention at the
mercy of their gracious host facilities.

The number of people who are both interested in, and have the ability to, herd 100-150
cats for 6-months to a year in the brute-force effort these activities are (on shoe-string
budgets and little outside support) gets smaller every year, and when one or two key
people gets sick, or sick of it, or the host has an ORI that week or the Force Protection
is raised...

((*poof*))

... restarting these things can be twice the effort of just keeping them running.

And the above doesn't even factor in the non-trivial issue of whether or not
there is enough interest in the activity to keep it viable.
^ This

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

Devil Doc

I have attended a few activities. Particularly local NC Ranger trainings. I have attended MERSAR back in my youth in CAP. I looked at NESA, just too far and too much time. I signed up for my Wing Encampment this year, but not sure If I can give them a full 10 days of my time. Might be able to be there 2-3 days, then come back 2-3 days on backend. Your right, many cannot attend these events to keep it running, nor want to anymore.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY