Rank orientation on the green fleece

Started by xray328, April 08, 2018, 01:58:07 AM

xray328

Hey guys, just wanted to verify the cadet officer rank on the green fleece is the same as the gortex tab, sideways (opposite the hat)?   Thanks. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abdsp51

Per 39-1

6.1.12.3.2. Cadet Rank Insignia. Cadet officers will wear embroidered rank
insignia on ultramarine blue material on the front of the fleece as noted above. Cadet officer insignia is
centered horizontally with the long points on the cadet field grade insignia positioned vertically, and each
subsequent circle of cadet company grade insignia added horizontally.
Cadet NCOs and Airmen will
wear their rank device in metal on ultramarine blue material; cadet airmen basic wear no device.

Based off of this it needs to be worn like it is on a hat.

xray328

So we're assuming the green fleece and black fleece have the same rules, fair enough.  When would a Cadet wear the black fleece, out of standards and over 18 with the BBDU's?

hamburgee

I don't see why they would change it and have two different standards. Also, we've been using that standard for a while - as far as I know the ABU fleece isn't mentioned in the transition other than the picture.

Starbird

Quote from: xray328 on April 08, 2018, 02:37:53 AM
So we're assuming the green fleece and black fleece have the same rules, fair enough.  When would a Cadet wear the black fleece, out of standards and over 18 with the BBDU's?

When they are cold?  ;D In all seriousness, however, I can't think of any regulation stating when a cadet out of standards and over 18 can or cannot wear it.  Just that authorized under CAPM 39-1.

EDIT:

My bad.  Just checked, and I missed this little requirement!  ::)

CAPM 39-1    26 JUNE 2014
Wear of the Black Fleece Jacket

6.1.12.  Black Fleece. (Figure 6.11)
6.1.12.1.  Only worn outdoors with the Aviatort Shirt Uniform, Corporate Field Uniform, Corporate Flight Duty Uniform, or Corporate Working Uniform; remove indoors.  (Exception: local commanders have the authority to allow indoor wear
of the black fleece jacket as mission needs dictate).

Other than that though, it appears that anyone wearing a corporate uniform outdoors can wear it at any time.

Sorry for any confusion I just caused!

C/2lt Starhop

CAPLTC

Wear it as you would on your hat.
We're not English.

Quote from: xray328 on April 08, 2018, 01:58:07 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to verify the cadet officer rank on the green fleece is the same as the gortex tab, sideways (opposite the hat)?   Thanks. 

"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

xray328

Quote from: CAPLTC on April 08, 2018, 09:14:51 PM
We're not English.

Odd they reversed it on the gortex

68w20

Quote from: xray328 on April 08, 2018, 09:17:14 PM
Quote from: CAPLTC on April 08, 2018, 09:14:51 PM
We're not English.

Odd they reversed it on the gortex

Likely because C/Col insignia wouldn't fit horizontally on the rank tab.

Geber

My perspective is a guy who lives near ski resorts and often encounters sales on commercial black fleece items. Going through 39-1 and interim change letter, my take-away was:

• Any conservatively colored outerwear that covers the shirt may be worn with corporate field uniform. If the black fleece doesn't have any insignia at all on it, it satisfies this requirement.
  • A black fleece zip-in liner may be worn with the BDU Gortex. Some offical BDU Gortex parkas don't have zippers with which to attach a zip-in liner. Presumably any commercial black fleece could be worn under one of the parkas, as long as one took off the fleece whenever one took off the parka.
  • What it boils down to, if you're wearing the corporate field uniform, you can wear any conservatively colored fleece you want, but if you want to put insignia on it, it has to be black.

xray328

Not that Vanguard has any authority (or knowledge) on wear but...

PHall

Quote from: xray328 on April 09, 2018, 12:13:01 AM

You assume they're showing it in the proper orientation. Read the manual...

hamburgee

Quote from: PHall on April 09, 2018, 12:20:50 AM
You assume they're showing it in the proper orientation. Read the manual...
He put a little disclaimer there, but I missed it the first time aha:
Quote from: xray328 on April 09, 2018, 12:13:01 AM

-snip-

Starbird

I have to wonder why vanguard decided to make 'CAP' devices, on navy cloth.... those haven't been a thing for years, right?

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-collar-insignia-cap-embroidered-new-insignia

Their product description?

Cap embroidered collar insignia cap embroidered on dark blue background. Worn by senior members without rank and cadet officers on BDUs and ABUs. priced per pair.

Yeah, sorry, but no.  Good job messing this one up, Vanguard.

Jester

39-1, 1.4.1.1 states that they're worn by SMs pursuing officer grade. 

hamburgee

Quote from: Jester on April 09, 2018, 01:21:38 AM
Yes, but I have yet to see a SMWOG who complies with this.

Starbird

My bad, sorry.  Still, cadet officers should never wear them.

J2H

I wore the CAP BDU (ultramarine) collar insignia back in 2013, most SMWOGs I see have no insignia on the collar.  I didn't wear it as I was pursuing NCO track.
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

NovemberWhiskey

CAPed Crusader

I have a question, what is that on your collar of your ABUs, and when is it used?

hamburgee

Quote from: francisderosa16 on April 10, 2018, 05:55:56 PM
I have a question, what is that on your collar of your ABUs, and when is it used?
That's the collar insignia that Senior Members w/o grade are supposed to wear on the ABU/BDU, as per:
Quote from: Jester on April 09, 2018, 01:21:38 AM

J2H

Many choose not to do to the fact that they will be coming off in 6months or so
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031