Main Menu

Online CLC

Started by 3rd502nd, January 23, 2018, 05:45:28 PM

3rd502nd

Is CLC available online, or do you have to attend a live event?

Jester

You can apply for the online version in the online learning area of eservices. Your chain of command up to the wing level has to approve it so you may have to explain why you can't attend the in-person version (I had to when I applied for SLS online).

Larry Mangum

I would recommend you take the training in person. I am sure that the material online is good, but probably the most useful thing out of any of the various training you will go to or participate in while in CAP, is the networking that occurs when you are there in person. Those connections you will make, will help you immensely as you progress through various assignments in CAP.

In addition, through being there in person you will be able to interact with your counterparts in the wing ands as you mingle and discuss issues and ask questions, you will often find that other people are have the same problems. Then you get the benefit of how they approached solving the problem and or what they already have done while looking for a solution.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

TheSkyHornet

In addition to Jester, be advised that may also be in the queue until there are enough participants that wish to take the class.

darkmatter

So funny story I'm in rolled right now to take the online CLC that starts at the beginning of next month just got the email

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

darkmatter

Quote from: SarDragon on January 24, 2018, 12:21:07 AM
Your loss.

If your talking to me I have no other option I can't travel to any and where they are offered in my wing I can make them because of life or other scheduling issues, trust me if I could I'd love to go to one in person two days versus 8 weeks

jjmalott

Jeff Malott, Lt Col, CAP
National eLearning Coordinator

darkmatter

Yes I am , but I don't know I feel the "your loss" is directed at me

SarDragon

It was. I understand why you want to take the online course, but I am a strong proponent of the classroom version, because the personal interactions are an important part of the class.

In my wing, we have folks flying down from 500 miles away to take an available course. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: SarDragon on January 24, 2018, 04:21:52 AM
It was. I understand why you want to take the online course, but I am a strong proponent of the classroom version, because the personal interactions are an important part of the class.

In my wing, we have folks flying down from 500 miles away to take an available course. Where there's a will, there's a way.

But, couldn't it also be said that where there is a training need, there should be a course less than 500 miles away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

SarDragon

In this case, the member's schedule and the course offering matched up nicely, and he flew down. H didn't want to wait another six weeks to attend the course up north. We offer the courses at the group level, and there's usually one about every three or four months somewhere in the wing.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

darkmatter

Like satated I wish I could take the in person one but life and other huge obstacles black my path so this is my only option. So your slightly wrong with says "where there's a will there's a way" doesn't always stand the test of time

SAREXinNY

I took it online, and don't regret it. In person is nice because it allows you to meet people, discuss the topics, learn from each other, etc.  But online is nice because you get perspectives from people in other regions/wings that you normally wouldn't in a local in-person training.

TheSkyHornet

I can't speak for CLC, but in signing up for SLS, I encountered the possibility of taking it online. I was heavily persuaded not to take the online course (and what sealed the deal was that I learned there were group discussions that took place during my unit's weekly meeting time). I believe, in the end, they never had those discussions anyway. But I very much appreciated the in-person class. I took some online courses in college, so that's about all I have to compare it to. They're convenient but never have the same effect.

That said, I don't think this topic was about the quality of online vs. classroom.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: SAREXinNY on January 25, 2018, 12:54:28 AM
I took it online, and don't regret it. In person is nice because it allows you to meet people, discuss the topics, learn from each other, etc.  But online is nice because you get perspectives from people in other regions/wings that you normally wouldn't in a local in-person training.

I agree, and I also support SkyHornet's comment; it isn't about the quality of the training. 

I did SLS online as my Wing wasn't offering the class in-person at any reasonable time in the future.

I enjoyed the interactions with people outside of my Wing, and the perspectives offered by the Class Director, who was an experienced "class leader', both within and without CAP.

I'm signed-up for the online CLC due to work impacting the next class offered within my Wing.

On balance, I'm not a fan of the online TLC; as that's now reduced to one day and and offered regularly across my Wing I encourage my colleagues to attend in-person.

In the end, however, the important thing is that people attend the training.  In-person is the ideal for any class, but getting the training is the important thing.  As someone else here said, we all know that one person that never attends training and that one unit that never sends anyone to training!

YMMV.