Squad of merit back dating streamers

Started by darkmatter, January 20, 2018, 02:06:31 AM

darkmatter

Say I was digging award my squadron and subsequently found a plack that says my squadron was award a squadron of merit but on the unit colors there's a missing streamer. Is there a way I can order a stream with the corresponding year the award was giving or an I out of luck

kwe1009

Contact Susie Parker at NHQ.  I think they run about $60 each.  We had to do that a couple of years ago. 

darkmatter

Thanks Kwe1009 I'll send it up the chain and see where your info leads too.

GroundHawg

Do other wings give out Squadron of the Year Awards that are not Unit Citations? A old unit I was in won it several times and had streamers. I was just curious as to how common a practice this is? I also wonder, do the few dual chartered squadrons fly both BSA and CAP streamers on the flag and guide on?

darkmatter

Quote from: GroundHawg on February 21, 2018, 02:50:03 PM
Do other wings give out Squadron of the Year Awards that are not Unit Citations? A old unit I was in won it several times and had streamers. I was just curious as to how common a practice this is? I also wonder, do the few dual chartered squadrons fly both BSA and CAP streamers on the flag and guide on?

how common is the unit citation award it all depends. like everything that can be awarded the regs say one then then its left up to the person who sign off weather they agree with what the regs say based on personal interpenetration. My wing has not handed out a unit citation in the past 10 years. the region gave out a citation to all members for 9/11 but not for hurricane sandy. I tried to ask my squadron commander to put on in but I was told No he didint view "intemperate" the actions to be worth of a citation. now there are other wings were if you breath you get a citation.  as for the BSA and CAP units i would think they would just on two different flags a CAP flag for CAP awards and a BSA flag for BSA awards

GaryVC

We put our squadron in for a unit citation and after a 5 month wait the commander received it last weekend at the wing commander's call. (It is still not showing up in eServices.) I had a lot of practice writing award recommendations in the USAF and presume that paid off. The squadron commander, wing commander, and region commander all have to approve it before it goes to NHQ. I would think it would be a slam dunk after all those approvals but we still had to wait 5 months.  We achieved all but one of the standards on the Quality Cadet Unit Report and were selected as wing squadron of the year.

If you think your unit deserves it and the squadron commander concurs, put in for it. In my experience, senior officers want to say "yes" not "no."

darkmatter

GaryVC

Quote from: darkmatter on February 21, 2018, 08:12:56 PM
Quote from: GaryVC on February 21, 2018, 05:22:13 PMsenior officers want to say "yes" not "no."

I wish i had your experiences

Then there is something wrong. When anyone does good, everyone above them can bask in a bit of reflected glory.

darkmatter

not quite how my wing operates, but one would think the higher ups would like to bask in the glory when there squadrons do really really well compared to others with in their wing